Survey shows demand for Apple's iPhone 6 still growing as supply stabilizes

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2014
Apple's new, larger-screened iPhones are even more popular now than they were when they were announced, according to survey data released Tuesday, boding well for the Cupertino company as it continues to chip away at supply shortages.

Half of the surveyed consumers who plan to purchase a smartphone in the next three months are eyeing an iPhone, compared to 47 percent following the handset's announcement in September. Investment bank Piper Jaffray conducted the survey of 1,004 consumers in the U.S. this month, and the results were revealed by analyst Gene Munster in a note to investors, a copy of which was provided to AppleInsider.

In contrast, a similar survey conducted after the iPhone 5s launch saw demand drop from 50 percent to 44 percent in the same period.

"Overall we believe this shows that consumers are extremely interested in the larger screen iPhone 6," Munster wrote, calling it "a testament to the strength of the current upgrade cycle."

At the same time, Apple's manufacturing partners appear to be slowly catching up with demand. The bank checked some 80 Apple retail stores last week and found the iPhone 6 in stock at 78 percent of those, compared to 56 percent the week before.

Shipping times for the new iPhones have also improved to as little as one day, leading Munster to conclude that Apple may be able to catch up fully by the end of December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Microsoft is dead in the water. You can lose the U.S. or Chinese market. But you can't lose both
  • Reply 2 of 26

http://www.seaturtle.org/idevice/iphone6_grid.shtml

The 128 GB models seem to have the least supply.

And Washington state has the least amount of all models compared to all other states. Could it be that the Microsofties have jumped the WindowsPhone ship en masse?

• Reply 3 of 26
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I coulda sworn I saw an article posted on Google Finance that quoted some research done by some company I've never heard of, saying that buyer intent among teens was down. I can choose to conclude that this was either overwhelmed by the older buyers, or that this no-name research company did a survey whose results were paid for in advance.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I coulda sworn I saw an article posted on Google Finance that quoted some research done by some company I've never heard of, saying that buyer intent among teens was down. I can choose to conclude that this was either overwhelmed by the older buyers, or that this no-name research company did a survey whose results were paid for in advance.

The 6/6+ target market are 55+ 

Teens 'buyers' will favor price over brand, especially if it's the one app (facebook/twitter/instagram/whatever) buying need.   

Teen use of iPhones will go up, only because of parental handme downs (not teen buyers, but teen 'users').

• Reply 5 of 26

There's those pesky 4 inch models... still commanding 20% of the iPhone market.

Damnit!! Don't they know there is no market for 4 inch phones!!!

• Reply 6 of 26
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    Time for iPhone 7!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Teens 'buyers' will favor price over brand, especially if it's the one app (facebook/twitter/instagram/whatever) buying need.   
    Teen use of iPhones will go up, only because of parental handme downs (not teen buyers, but teen 'users').

Sarcasm, I hope.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Surely you jest. Iphone is the most wanted phone for teens. And carriers are moving to lease/installment plans so that an iPhone 6 is only $5 more a month than a lower cost Android.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There's those pesky 4 inch models... still commanding 20% of the iPhone market.

Damnit!! Don't they know there is no market for 4 inch phones!!!

Are you shitting me with that sarcasm? Apple did not make anything larger than a 4" phone pre fall 2014. And most dirt cheap phones are around 4". So yeah, there's a shitload of them out there. Does not mean there is significant "demand", or that people who have previously bought a 3.5 or 4" iPhone won't buy a 4.7 in the future. Not like there's an abundance of choice of nice 4" phones, so there's little evidence Apple will lose any sales if they don't continue with that form factor. 

• Reply 10 of 26
    43% of consumers have poor taste, apparently.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Are you shitting me with that sarcasm? Apple did not make anything larger than a 4" phone pre fall 2014. And most dirt cheap phones are around 4". So yeah, there's a shitload of them out there. Does not mean there is significant "demand", or that people who have previously bought a 3.5 or 4" iPhone won't buy a 4.7 in the future. Not like there's an abundance of choice of nice 4" phones, so there's little evidence Apple will lose any sales if they don't continue with that form factor. 

Hahahahahahaha

You're such a funny guy, Slurpy!

Keep em coming. I enjoy your flailing about.

• Reply 12 of 26
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

43% of consumers have poor taste, apparently.

And a certain percentage of AppleInsider commenters have a poor grasp on basic arithmetic.

But whatever. This is an analysis from Gene Munster, completely irrelevant at this point.

• Reply 13 of 26
    mpantone wrote: »

And a certain percentage of AppleInsider commenters have a poor grasp on basic arithmetic.

But whatever. This is an analysis from Gene Munster, completely irrelevant at this point.

43% want an Android smartphone.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

A handful of the Android phones are actually okay. Same with the Windows phones. We're talking single digit percentage points though.

43+7 = 50, although we don't know what percentage of those buyers actually intend to buy something decent.

Again, the study's statistics come from Gene Munster's Piper Jaffray, so I wouldn't give any credence to these numbers.

• Reply 15 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Blah, blah, blah, blah... Apple is still doomed. What happens when everybody has an iPhone 6? See what I mean? It’s simple reasoning¡

• Reply 16 of 26
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

The total in first two columns is  99% they finally got it adding up to 100 in column 3

Is that the rounding error Mr Balmy  used to talk about?

• Reply 17 of 26
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I'm 54 and I bought iPhone,. Wrong again! dude. My nerd brother just ditched his crappy Android, he told me he was fed up with all the hassle trying to sync contacts, photos etc. HE also told me he doesn't trust Google any more with his info. And he has and Engineering degree and  a masters in Fab and used to design phones for a living!

• Reply 18 of 26
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Blah, blah, blah, blah... Apple is still doomed. What happens when everybody has an iPhone 6? See what I mean? It’s simple reasoning¡

It's obvious - they'll get a second one for the other hand!

• Reply 19 of 26
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

I will wait for a 6S- not liking the look of this one- just like I never liked the Black 5.

• Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

http://www.seaturtle.org/idevice/iphone6_grid.shtml

The 128 GB models seem to have the least supply.

And Washington state has the least amount of all models compared to all other states. Could it be that the Microsofties have jumped the WindowsPhone ship en masse?

I had to order mine in myself because the closest store that had a 64+ GB plus was all the way in Idaho, haha. Very happy with the phone though now that I have it <3