Sony renting 'The Interview' for $6 on YouTube, Google Play, Xbox & Crackle, but not iTunes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 280
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I remember seeing a picture (or reading) somewhere that Kim Jong Whatever is a Mac user. Can anyone confirm this?

I've seen some of their propaganda photos when he was allegedly picking out targets for some fantasy strike of theirs in a room that looked like their version of a White House or Pentagon situation room (wall displays of maps etc.) and the desktop computer he was looking at was an iMac. Or a knockoff with the style and logo...

Business insider has a photo:

http://www.businessinsider.com/brand-new-photo-confirms-that-kim-jong-un-is-a-mac-user-2013-3

• Reply 102 of 280
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

And also, kudos to Apple for standing up to the Whitehouse and not bowing to their requests.

How lame was it of Sony to attempt to pressure Apple by asking the Whitehouse for help? Apple's "No", wasn't good enough for Sony? Screw Sony.

Apple has been telling the government "NO" at least a few times recently. First, Apple refuses to grant the government access to their customer's files, and now Apple refuses to show this Sony movie on other people's time schedule. Good for Apple and good for Tim Cook! 

• Reply 103 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

YouTube is 30 days to start it and 48 hours of viewing. For day of release when a movie theater around me is at least $6 per person for a matinee I think that's a sweet deal.

movies theater tickets are more expensive than home rentals because they deliver more value than a home viewing. a compressed stream on a small screen (even if a large small screen) doesn't compare to being in the theater in the slightest. completely different experience.

5 bucks was my line w/ blockbuster. I'm disappointed to see iTunes movies for $5.99 and $6.99 now, and for a measly 24-hours -- an artificial limitation throwing back to when video rental stores had actual scarcity of their inventory. 

• Reply 104 of 280
    Quote:

Making a general comment about others isn't an issue here, but personally attacking another poster with an ad hominem isn't. Attack the post, not the poster, and you'll be fine.

Exactly. Apparently, some posters on here don't know what an ad-hominem attack means.

Anybody who personally insults me should be immediately banned from this forum.

• Reply 105 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah right. I remember many on the left that were all for censoring stick figure drawings a while back. What a ridiculous, and hypocritical bunch. I don't believe many when they say it's about freedom of speech. That only applies when it's about speech that they agree with, which in this case, is a lame comedy movie. What a worthy cause.

yeah no idea what you're talking about. just sounds like more inane ramblings of a madman. 

• Reply 106 of 280
    Quote:

Making a general comment about others isn't an issue here, but personally attacking another poster with an ad hominem isn't. Attack the post, not the poster, and you'll be fine.

pointing out the bigoted vileness of a racist isn't a personal attack. it's an observation.

• Reply 107 of 280
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

There is the off chance that, like me, Apple couldn't give a shit less about Sony, North Korea, or this probably awful movie that has gotten an immeasurable amount of unwarranted free PR.

• Reply 108 of 280
    Quote:

Exactly. Apparently, some posters on here don't know what an ad-hominem attack means.

sure we do.

personally, i find your posts insulting with their baseless rhetoric about people & ideologies i believe in and apply to myself, yet i don't call for your being banned. grow a hide.

• Reply 109 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

yeah no idea what you're talking about. just sounds like more inane ramblings of a madman. 

What an intelligent and thoughtful, fact filled rebuttal. You sure set me straight there, and proved my assertions wrong.:smokey:

• Reply 110 of 280
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    movies theater tickets are more expensive than home rentals because they deliver more value than a home viewing. a compressed stream on a small screen (even if a large small screen) doesn't compare to being in the theater in the slightest. completely different experience.

5 bucks was my line w/ blockbuster. I'm disappointed to see iTunes movies for $5.99 and $6.99 now, and for a measly 24-hours -- an artificial limitation throwing back to when video rental stores had actual scarcity of their inventory. 

1) There is a level of convenience I like and since this isn't a movie like Gaudians of the Galaxy or Intersteller where I want to be immersed, I am very happy to pay $6 for 480p for this movie on YouTube that I can watch and pause at will — which I'm doing — than going to the theatre.

2) The 24-hour limit is artificial but I don't think it's because of Apple. It would be nice if they could get on a 48 hour rental time like other internet-based services.

3) I don't know about your VHS/DVD video stores, but I seem to recall that it wasn't actually a hard 24-hours, like it is with iTunes Store. It was the next day, by 8pm, midnight, the time they close, or some such time frame.

apple ][ wrote: »

I'll risk it.
  • Reply 111 of 280
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    pointing out the bigoted vileness of a racist isn't a personal attack. it's an observation.

Saying "Your comments are stupid" is fine, but saying "You're stupid," isn't. It's might be a minor distinction in how it's recieved, but it's a clear demarcation point in terms of the subject. I suggest riding that line.
  • Reply 112 of 280
    Quote:

I'll risk it.

So go right ahead. I don't believe that anybody is stopping you.

• Reply 113 of 280

Does this movie defame people?

One of Apple's rules for accepting Apps is that they can't defame people.

May be they are applying some of that to the movie.

• Reply 114 of 280

I'm delighted that Apple have taken this unusually conservative (for them) - and therefore good - step in not releasing 'The Interview'.

Sony deserve whatever North Korea decide to throw at them for this silly and inflammatory film, just as Salman Rushdie deserved his years of being holed up for his cretinous Satanic Verses.

Sony might as well have booked a flight to North Korea and said to them, "Please come and bomb the USA."

• Reply 115 of 280
    Does this movie defame people?

It does, but that can't apply to movies, TV Shows, or Music on iTS because there are clear example from each category that can be found. That means it has to be an App Store-only policy.
  • Reply 116 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

freedom isn't free -- it costs blood. theres no way around that fact. yep, people are gonna die. it happens. if we didn't ban automobiles after just "one life" is lost, why would we ban ourselves?

clearly, one life isn't too many when it comes to freedom. nor would 3 or 5 movie theaters worth of lives. i will accept that loss and that risk to my own safety, in order to live in a free society. 

If you had actually read my post you'd realize that your response is redundant.

The real question that arises is about any one person's decision to speak for the many. A lot of facts have to be weighed before hand, otherwise we could be frivolously throwing away lives.

By the way... your analogy about automobiles, comparing it to free speech, is just stupid.

By the way 2... although admittedly obscure... you took my one life comment wrong... it was meant to say that I value 1 life as much as I do 500 or 5000 or 5 million etc...

• Reply 117 of 280
    Quote:

You should ask Slurpy. I didn't even mention it specifically, yet he automatically knew what it was. What a coincidence.

There is that.

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Anybody who isn't lying to themselves, knows the answer to that question.

Anybody who is educated and honest with themselves doesn't know the answer to that question.

• Reply 118 of 280
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

I'm seeing "The Interview" in a local theater tomorrow afternoon.

I might watch it on YouTube later.

And I'll give it a perfect 10 stars on IMDb.

• Reply 119 of 280
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    sockrolid wrote: »

And I'll give it a perfect 10 stars on IMDb.

Why? Because it will deserve it, or you will be making a statement? If the latter, why not do it now?
  • Reply 120 of 280
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    ascii wrote: »
    It would be good if all films were released online at the same time as theatres.

Sure, that would be great. But of course every movie theater would go out of business. Why go and pay a bunch if money, if you can rent it for that price for a bunch of people and have your own snacks.