Sony wanted 'The Interview' on iTunes for Christmas, but Apple rejected fast timetable

Comments

• Reply 61 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So apparently Google and Microsoft are streaming this movie $6 to rent and $15 to buy. For all those who say Apple only cares about profits...
    ?? Odd comment. Perhaps your post wasn't entirely clear.

At the end of the day I think nearly every single business cares about profits.
  • Reply 62 of 110
    gatorguy wrote: »

Agreed.
  • Reply 63 of 110
    mikesmoke wrote: »
    I think Apple was wise to stay away from the controversy. That is what I think was their strategy is. North Korea and China are tight, Apple and China are tight. It's a stupid, moronic, if not scandalous movie which is not the hill one would die on for freedom of speech.

Agreed 100%.
    If it was a documentary or news release near & dear to Apple's heart, then put your ass on the line but not for a shit for brains comedy.
  • Reply 64 of 110
    They made the decision to do VOD like Monday. Apple shuts down many offices during the week of Christmas. Including the ones for handling itunes and the App Store. That's why sales don't change the week of Christmas.

Add to that the need to be sure the servers could handle the possible load and yeah, not happening
  • Reply 65 of 110
    On a broader topic, does anyone else have trouble believing that N Korea -- a podunk, IT-challenged country with perhaps no more than a 1,000 IP addresses -- was able to do something like this?

And, if it was indeed the case that they were able to pull off something of this magnitude, that we're really doomed in more ways than we could possibly imagine?

I don't buy the president's confident assertion that NK was behind the hack. I think Sony had a history of poor security that was finally exploited by one or more insiders or student-level hackers who were politically motivated.
  • Reply 66 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why didn't Sony ask Google to put it up on YouTube? Or as the US government to host a secure site where people could watch it?

They did! Along with all the others (Amazone, Netflux, Google Plain, and M$ XBox...) after Apple said no. Apple made the right move. This is when their servers are the busiest downloading apps to new iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc... Why add the potentially large load that this movie would cost and make a bunch of new users uncapping cause a bunch of people want to download a HD movie. Now if Sony had been willing to do the correct thing and allowed it to open on iTunes 10 days later the network servers could have been tuned and tested without the risk of an iTunesgate fiasco with iTunes crapping out...

Well thought out move on Apples part, not so much for the other vendors which Sony sought out after the best and most popular service simply said NO!

• Reply 67 of 110

The real reason - iTunes is locked down for the week of Christmas - no content added/configured.  

I'm guessing the interview will be available next week.

James

• Reply 68 of 110
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    jesus i hope you aren't an american. satire of course does deserve free speech protection in our nation.

and no, it's not like yelling "fire!" since in that classic litmus test we see the speech actively hurting people as they stamped. there is no such equivalency in a dumb comedy about killing an overseas dictator.

You are speaking prematurely. I'm sure they won't make good any any Christmas Day threats but if they did, it would then go to something much more dangerous than yelling fire.
  • Reply 69 of 110
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

Apple's decision to not make the Interview available is as opaque as the hackers and Sony's motives throughout this whole thing too. We will never know exactly why they did what they didn't. In the end they're all "business" interests.
  • Reply 70 of 110
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wigby wrote: »
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy

jesus i hope you aren't an american. satire of course does deserve free speech protection in our nation.

and no, it's not like yelling "fire!" since in that classic litmus test we see the speech actively hurting people as they stamped. there is no such equivalency in a dumb comedy about killing an overseas dictator.

You are speaking prematurely. I'm sure they won't make good any any Christmas Day threats but if they did, it would then go to something much more dangerous than yelling fire.

That, and notice the quaint use of "overseas."

I thought NolaMacGuy was more caught-up with history than this. Nobody reads anymore, and even if they do, they don't read McLuhan, it seems.

Big news, we live in a global village, or we're all crew on spaceship Earth, if you prefer. There is no overseas anymore. If North Korea lashes out, we'd be lucky to avoid WW III.

Rogen, Goldberg, Sterling and Sony Pictures are playing with fire.
  • Reply 71 of 110
    Corporatist, just plain fascist. When the government didnt prosecute any bankers and instead backed them, is the day we crossed the line. Now its Fascism as far as the eye can see, no child left behind, no big gulp soda, to I can't breathe. This isnt a constitutional republic any more.
  • Reply 72 of 110
    Maybe Apple f'd up, now people actually looked at downloading movies on another platform and may switch, or Apple wanted them to see and realize ITunes is better
  • Reply 73 of 110
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    As if we needed more evidence that Apple is no longer the counter culture company of its roots.
  • Reply 74 of 110
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

As if we needed more evidence that Apple is no longer the counter culture company of its roots.

There’s no evidence of that, particularly not here. Read the article, and then the thread.

• Reply 75 of 110

I just watched it on YouTube, I wanted to watch it on iTunes as the rest of my movie library is on iTunes. Still the process was quick and the same price I would have expected from iTunes. I watched it on my AppleTV, but I paid Google. This was the first time I had paid Google for anything and now they have my credit card.

Not a good day for Apple. This was a missed opportunity to bring new customers to iTunes, or at least keep the ones they have. I'm disappointed that Apple couldn't swing this and handed all the glory to Google.

• Reply 76 of 110
    Maybe Apple didn't want to get hacked, too. That would be very bad for them. Seems like a smart move for them.
  • Reply 77 of 110
    Maybe another reason that North Korea may have problems a because there is very little trade for then because of all the sanctions
  • Reply 78 of 110
    ilovestuff wrote: »
    I just watched it on YouTube, I wanted to watch it on iTunes as the rest of my movie library is on iTunes. Still the process was quick and the same price I would have expected from iTunes. I watched it on my AppleTV, but I paid Google. This was the first time I had paid Google for anything and now they have my credit card.

Not a good day for Apple. This was a missed opportunity to bring new customers to iTunes, or at least keep the ones they have. I'm disappointed that Apple couldn't swing this and handed all the glory to Google.

I believe the issue here was Sony didn't give Apple enough time to properly prep the files for iTunes. Speed to market is not Apple's concern, they are about quality and as I understand it no one is currently showing The Interview in an Apple-quality format. Am I right or not?
  • Reply 79 of 110
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    I believe the issue here was Sony didn't give Apple enough time to properly prep the files for iTunes. Speed to market is not Apple's concern, they are about quality and as I understand it no one is currently showing The Interview in an Apple-quality format. Am I right or not?
    What's the difference between the "Apple-quality" streaming format and what Google Play or Xbox delivers?

I don't believe you are correct.
  • Reply 80 of 110
    What's the difference between the "Apple-quality" streaming format and what Google Play or Xbox delivers?

Can you download a 1080 HD version for viewing? Someone wrote earlier that it was only available in 480 (lower res).