Sony renting 'The Interview' for $6 on YouTube, Google Play, Xbox & Crackle, but not iTunes

Comments

• Reply 161 of 280
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm listening to the Mac Observer's podcast this morning and they are absolutely livid that Apple didn't stream this movie and think it was a huge blunder on Apple's part to let competitors have it. I completely disagree. I think tech sites are totally overestimating the number of people that care about this movie and had to see it on Christmas. And now that the movie is out there the media will move on to obsessing over something else. I've been watching CNN this morning and so far they've spent 10 seconds on this story and it was just a news blurb that the movie would be in some theaters today. I don't think Tim Cook is losing any sleep over deciding not offer this movie on iTunes right now.
  • Reply 162 of 280

I wouldn't pay 12.00 at the theater and I damn sure won't pay 6.00 to watch it on my TV. Then again I can't stand Seth Rogen.

• Reply 163 of 280
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm listening to the Mac Observer's podcast this morning and they are absolutely livid that Apple didn't stream this movie and think it was a huge blunder on Apple's part to let competitors have it. I completely disagree. I think tech sites are totally overestimating the number of people that care about this movie and had to see it on Christmas. And now that the movie is out there the media will move on to obsessing over something else. I've been watching CNN this morning and so far they've spent 10 seconds on this story and it was just a news blurb that the movie would be in some theaters today. I don't think Tim Cook is losing any sleep over deciding not offer this movie on iTunes right now.

I disagree. All the free publicity has created a buzz, curiosity, and ultimately a demand. That leaves iOS users having to look elsewhere in order to see it.
  • Reply 164 of 280
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I disagree. All the free publicity has created a buzz, curiosity, and ultimately a demand. That leaves iOS users having to look elsewhere in order to see it.

So what? If iOS users want to go summing for lowbrow adolescent assassination comedy with bad geopolitical juju, they should have to go to Google or YouTube. I'm not suggesting anything about Apple's motives, just pointing out the poetic justice that results.

Gruber, by the way, seems to have lost his edge, and he has a position similar to your comment. Too much alcohol? He's also back into his James Bond thing.
  • Reply 165 of 280
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    So what? If iOS users want to go summing for lowbrow adolescent assassination comedy with bad geopolitical juju, they should have to go to Google or YouTube. I'm not suggesting anything about Apple's motives, just pointing out the poetic justice that results.

Gruber, by the way, seems to have lost his edge, and he has a position similar to your comment. Too much alcohol? He's also back into his James Bond thing.

The issue isn't the quality of the content. iTunes already has tons of low brow material. Perception is reality, and regardless of the actual reason why it isn't on iTunes, it makes Apple look scared, and appeasing those who wanted the movie to never be released.
  • Reply 166 of 280
    That leaves iOS users having to look elsewhere in order to see it.

It can be seen on any Mac OS X or iOS-based device with ease. In fact, I was impressed with how Google authenticates your account on their YouTube app on the Apple TV.
  • Reply 167 of 280
    The issue isn't the quality of the content. iTunes already has tons of low brow material. Perception is reality, and regardless of the actual reason why it isn't on iTunes, it makes Apple look scared, and appeasing those who wanted the movie to never be released.

From the wooden perspective of "principle," the quality of the content doesn't matter, you are correct.

I'm talking about something larger than unreflective free-speech yahooism, which is where maybe 8 out of 10 internet know-it-alls are getting their righteous indignation.

Apple may have tons of lowbrow material on iTunes, but it doesn't have a single "comedy" about the assassination of an actual fascist dictator—of, it should be mentioned, a malnourished, isolated, paranoid, pariah Asian state, far enough along in nuclear technology to be helping out Iran in their ambitions. Lots of good material there for discerning, fat-ass Americans to howl at, right?

So I'm talking about the poetic justice of Rogen, Golberg and Sterling's poisonous, dangerous lowbrow provocation getting the worst treatment possible at the time of its release. How Apple looks is a silly side issue. I'm concerned with ignoramuses poking sticks in a hornet nest and then mobs of other ignoramuses rising off their haunches to defend their right to do so.

The quality of the content does matter in this case. They crossed the line into "incendiary" on this one. I betcha one or two out of ten agree with this view, which is about where I like to be on an issue like this, further from the mob, closer to reality.
  • Reply 168 of 280
    Many people want to say Apple was scared to distribute the movie. I like to ask all of those people why Sony chose not to distribute the movie on its Crackle network?

My thoughts of Apple not distributing the movie include...
    - Why help Sony when Sony chose not to fight for itself? No matter what gets written about Apple's absence, nobody should overlook the fact Sony was scared to distribute its own movie over its own network in the face of oppression. Sony was silenced.
    - Sony's problems became an attack on the USA's freedom of speech thanks to the President of the USA voicing his disappointment with Sony for pulling the movie.
    - Thanks to the FBI, North Korea was named as the mastermind of the Sony hack. Soon after that, several prominent security experts disputed the FBI's findings.
    - Due to national security concerns, the press continued its fever-pitched reporting targeting North Korea and freedom of speech.
    - The US reached out to China for help. That story lasted less than 12 hours in the blogosphere..
    - David Boise decided to threaten to sue people and businesses for reprinting leaked documents. Threatening them into silence.
    - With the focus turning back to Sony over its poor handling of this fiasco, Sony announces no distributor volunteered to distribute its movie. Amazingly, Sony still never mentioned it would distribute over its own Crackle network!
    - With Sony dying on the vine due to self-inflicted wounds, Sony decides to reach out to one and only one distributor for distributing the movie: Apple. Why only Apple? But that reach is not newsworthy enough so add that the President of the USA reached out to Apple on Sony's behalf. When Apple said no, leak the information to the New York Times. And, make certain to throw a little blurb about Apple might not have been able to distribute the movie on such short notice. The focus would then be taken off of Sony and placed squarely on Apple's shoulders.
    - With Apple being whipped, Sony magically gets Google Play, You Tube and Microsoft X Box to make the movie available.
    - Sony publishes a statement thanking its distribution partners for helping it protect freedom of speech without explaining why Apple really chose not to help Sony even with the President's assistance. No mention of Amazon, which has a distribution network that is bigger and better than Apple's distribution network. No mention of Netflix since Netflix uses Comcast and Verizon and would incur major costs from the streamed movie.
    - Has the President of the USA thanked all participants for helping to preserve free speech? And, denounce Apple for not participating?
    - Now the movie is being seen by people who would have not seen the movie. The movie reviews are coming in. People are realizing the Sony hack became a national rally for free speech protection and the movie sucks. People are realizing Sony was attacked not the USA. Sony. Sony made a movie. Sony made a movie. Sony was attacked. Sony was threatened. Sony capitulated. Sony is still capitulating.
    - The next act is to state the movie was overwhelmingly successful. U.S. citizens rallied together to defend their right to free speech for a company that chose not to use every avenue it owns to distribute the movie.
    - When the lawsuits against Sony start, will the President of the USA step in to pardon Sony?
    - Will the President of the USA honor Google/You Tube and Microsoft with Medals of Honor?

Before submitting this comment, all of the above are my thoughts. I am not stating that I am absolutely knowledgeable about the back door machinations that have occurred between Sony, the FBI and the President of the USA concerning this movie. I voted for the President twice. Still, I had my email address removed from all newsletters associated with his office. I never have been interested in the seeing the movie. I never looked at the hacking and threats as a national attack on the freedom of speech. I am a U.S. citizen.

I am looking forward to Sony's next moves. Will there be a Sony-owned movie made about this coming? Has Sony's computer system security been increased due to Mac computers being purchased? Will James and Seth be honored at the Oscars next year? Will there be a Part 2 to this movie?
  • Reply 169 of 280
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Nah, I think the buzz is over with. Especially considering the movie itself appears to be not very good. it doesn't take long for the media to pivot away from something they were talking about non-stop.
  • Reply 170 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Nah, I think the buzz is over with. Especially considering the movie itself appears to be not very good. it doesn't take long for the media to pivot away from something they were talking about non-stop.

Well, it appears that it at least sold out in the theatres that are showing it.

... but, yes... I agree... it will most likely die out unless you are a Seth Rogen fan.

• Reply 172 of 280
    Many people want to say Apple was scared to distribute the movie. I like to ask all of those people why Sony chose not to distribute the movie on its Crackle network?

That seems like an easy one: Crackle has no payment option. It's currently looks to only be ad supported. Assuming that's accurate, one wondered by Sony's on PlayStation Network didn't host the movie.
  • Reply 173 of 280
    flaneur wrote: »
    Apple may have tons of lowbrow material on iTunes, but it doesn't have a single "comedy" about the assassination of an actual fascist dictator...

Sure it does, but why does it have to be a comedy? Wouldn't a drama be more offensive when you remove any attempt at satirical humour from the equation?

• Reply 174 of 280
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That seems like an easy one: Crackle has no payment option. It's currently looks to only be ad supported. Assuming that's accurate, one wondered by Sony's on PlayStation Network didn't host the movie.

This is the information that is being ignored by the freedom of speech ravers. Sony has chosen not to participate with its own defense by using its own network to distribute its movie. Nobody appears to be forcing Sony to answer questions about this lack of self-support.
  • Reply 175 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

This is the information that is being ignored by the freedom of speech ravers. Sony has chosen not to participate with its own defense by using its own network to distribute its movie. Nobody appears to be forcing Sony to answer questions about this lack of self-support.

I posted a link above with even more information that is being ignored by the freedom of speech ravers.

• Reply 176 of 280
    I posted a link above with even more information that is being ignored by the freedom of speech ravers.

I am hoping Apple speaks up about its decision and puts the spotlight back in Sony where it has always belonged. I know this is unlikely, but it would be great to see happen.
  • Reply 177 of 280
    rogifan wrote: »
    Shouldn't people be doing stuff with their family (and friends) on Christmas and not watching some stupid movie? Why is it so damn important this movie be seen on Christmas Day anyway?

Or post on Internet forums...,

Oh...wait...
  • Reply 178 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

Or post on Internet forums...,

Oh...wait...

Thank you! That was a great response!!

• Reply 179 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Thanks for the link!

I read the article associated with the link and another article about George Clooney's thoughts about the Sony hack fallout. The Guardian US is asking the hard questions about the Sony's leaked information where most of the US is wasting time raving about Apple.

The focus needs to get back on Sony's leaked information. Sony's public threats of lawsuits and Sony's secret backdoor deals with state attorney generals will have more of an effect on censorship than the non-distribution of a movie. This is the freedom of speech censorship the New York Times should be writing about. The same goes of AppleInsider.

• Reply 180 of 280
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Sure it does, but why does it have to be a comedy? Wouldn't a drama be more offensive when you remove any attempt at satirical humour from the equation?

I'll take your word for it that these are movies that advocate (that's the correct word, by the way) or "feature" (weasel word) the assassination of an actual contemporary fascist (i.e., dangerous, autocratic unpredictable) state leader. I'm not going to rummage through the rubbish to find out if you got it right.

No it doesn't have to be a comedy, but I suspect that a culture like North Korea that never developed Western-style individualism, instead is still in an honor-bound, face-saving mode of social standing, and still involved with emperor worship, might be much more vulnerable to ridicule than expository prose or drama.

I'm coming at this from the point of view of curing the disease of North Korean fascism, not making it worse by ignorant aggravation. There is a history of making the disease worse, and it could be said this is a learning opportunity along these lines, to say the least.