Sony renting 'The Interview' for $6 on YouTube, Google Play, Xbox & Crackle, but not iTunes

Comments

• Reply 201 of 280
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    hexclock wrote: »
    So now that Xbox live and the Playstation network are being hacked, are we still crying that iTunes didn't host the movie? I think not.

Exactly. The tech headlines Christmas Day were about Playstation and Xbox owners being unable to play with their new toys (my son included in that group). In the meantime millions of people were enjoying their new iPhones and iPads without an issue (he was in that group too). I don't think Apple will be regretting their The Interview decision.
  • Reply 202 of 280

What TS does not know about the UK would fill several books.  

• Reply 203 of 280

His point about the trials the slap happy way your cops seem to end life ... ... without a trial.  Especially not a trial that might involve them in a trial, to establish what happened and whether what they did was lawful.  

• Reply 204 of 280

There is no free speech in Britain?  Have you ever read Private Eye?  What a no-nothing you are.  Do you have a passport?  Have you ever been anywhere in the world and talked to real people?

• Reply 205 of 280
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Notice that not once in the explanation have I used the word treason. That’s because it isn’t treason. Shock and horror, right? It’s almost as though I never said it was treason (or even akin to treason) in the first place. That’s because I didn’t. You’d know this if you read posts before replying to them.
    I'm not really sure why think omitting the word treason from your latest post means you didn't use it in your earlier one. You did. You equated what Sony has done with a crime approaching the level of treason. I'm telling you that's ridiculous, freedom of speech also means freedom to be silent especially when you have a loaded gun pointed at your head. And while your government's policy may be to not negotiate with terrorists, government policy does not apply to individuals or companies.

You have this habit of being absurdly hysterical when it comes to matters of the law that you don't agree with.
  • Reply 206 of 280

Yeah, no, that’s not how it works. How ironic.

Really TS? Really?
  • Reply 207 of 280
    crowley wrote: »

1. There was nothing black and white there.
    2. There was also nothing incorrect there.

lol, Britain.

You can be jailed for months for saying things the government doesn't like.
    <strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">You can be jailed for months for typing things the government doesn't like.</strong>

<strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">You aren't allowed to carry a weapon to defend yourself only use what is around you at the time.</strong>

One. Two.
    <strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">People are banned from visiting the UK for having different beliefs or opinions.</strong>

One. Two.
    <strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">Historical artefacts worth thousands are destroyed because they're considered illegal weapons.</strong>

<strong style="font-style:normal;line-height:1.4em;">Your home can be invaded by policemen at any time without a reason if you own a gun.</strong>

One. Two.
    <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10792895/Election-candidate-arrested-over-Churchill-speech.html" style="line-height:1.4em;" target="_blank">Quoting Winston Churchill equals jail time.</a>

Again, lol, Britain.

I’ll say this as many times as it takes your pathetic little mind to comprehend it. 
    [SIZE=72px]READ POSTS BEFORE REPLYING TO THEM.[/SIZE]
    You didn't have the word treason in your post?  You didn't equate what Sony is doing with crimes on the level of treason?  Yes you did; I read fine, you understand poorly.

Regarding everything else, there's some truth in there, but the broader issues are hardly unique or specific to this one country, and what the flying **** does it have to do with this thread, Sony, film distribution, or even your original claim about lists of banned films?  

Your risible arms-length hatred of the UK is ridiculous, as are your hysterical overreactions to any kind of legal issue that comes up on these boards.  

Speaking as a Londoner, I would say his comments on the UK are generally astute.

Sometimes, observing from afar affords a perspective on the bigger picture.
  • Reply 208 of 280
    Did AI update this article without notification? The article seems a little different to me now than it did Wednesday.
  • Reply 209 of 280
    Did AI update this article without notification? The article seems a little different to me now than it did Wednesday.

Could a Christmas drink or two be colouring your perspective? ????
  • Reply 210 of 280
    Could a Christmas drink or two be colouring your perspective? ????

Possibly. For some reason, my brain is telling me Crackle is being referenced incorrectly. None of the other Web sites I visit mention Crackle as an option for the movie. I even commented earlier about Crackle not being an option and I was not "spanked" for misreading the article. Oh well.
  • Reply 211 of 280

Did Sony simply go where the 30% Apple tax does not exist ?

• Reply 212 of 280
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Speaking as a Londoner, I would say his comments on the UK are generally astute.
    Even if they are, answer me what they have to do with Sony, the hack, the film, or the aftermath? How is it anything he's ranting about in any way relevant to anything?
  • Reply 213 of 280
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Did Sony simply go where the 30% Apple tax does not exist ?
    Google takes 30% too AFAIK. I imagine Microsoft does as well. Seems to be industry standard.

Edit: Yeah, same at Microsoft, tho there's still 5 more days of a special 20% rate for high-revenue apps at the Windows Store (not the Windows Phone store)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694058.aspx
  • Reply 214 of 280
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    YouTube is 30 days to start it and 48 hours of viewing. For day of release when a movie theater around me is at least $6 per person for a matinee I think that's a sweet deal.

I un-hid my YouTube app on the Apple TV — I had thought I read it was removed as a channel altogether — and was dreading putting in my 50 character password with the Apple Remote; I was impressed to see a very nice solution appear on the Apple TV's YouTube app that told me to go to youtube.com/activate and input an 8 letter code to authenticate. It's nice that you can watch it across any service for the account in which it which it was purchased, albeit on one device at a time.

edit: I just noticed the maximum quality is 480p so, for me, that's the biggest slight against the cost of the rental.
    If you had used GooglePlay Movies you could have watched full HD for the same price. There's an iTunes app for it too.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id746894884
  • Reply 215 of 280
    Saw the preview and it can stay banned for all I care. It looks terrible! Nothing in the premise of the film makes sense in the slightest.

Oh and I know North Korea and its "Dear Leader" are hardly admirable but making a movie about killing Kim Jong-Un reaks of US imperialism.
  • Reply 216 of 280
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    Saw the preview and it can stay banned for all I care. It looks terrible! Nothing in the premise of the film makes sense in the slightest.

Oh and I know North Korea and its "Dear Leader" are hardly admirable but making a movie about killing Kim Jong-Un reaks of US imperialism.

"Banned"?
  • Reply 217 of 280
    malax wrote: »
    hexclock wrote: »
    So now that Xbox live and the Playstation network are being hacked, are we still crying that iTunes didn't host the movie? I think not.

Exactly. The tech headlines Christmas Day were about Playstation and Xbox owners being unable to play with their new toys (my son included in that group). In the meantime millions of people were enjoying their new iPhones and iPads without an issue (he was in that group too). I don't think Apple will be regretting their The Interview decision.

Some people would interpret that as running scared of cyber- and other forms of terrorism. Could be a bad thing (or good) depending on your point of view.
  • Reply 218 of 280
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    malax wrote: »

Oddly it seemed to effect only the Xbox One. My son was unable to connect with his, yet I was still able to connect, and play with the Xbox 360.
  • Reply 219 of 280
    solipsismy wrote: »
    They didn't wimp out. Comedy Central would'n't let them show the images of Muhammad. The irony of it all it's the only time CC prevented them showing anything and that years earlier they had already shown Muhammad in a Super Best Friends episode.

That sounds awfully like Sony saying "the theater groups made me do it," no?
  • Reply 220 of 280
    That sounds awfully like Sony saying "the theater groups made me do it," no?

If the theaters have the right to censor material as they see fit, then sure, but I'm not aware that as an option with the MPAA being in place.

edit:

edit2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_controversies#Censorship_of_the_depiction_of_Muhammad