Sony renting 'The Interview' for $6 on YouTube, Google Play, Xbox & Crackle, but not iTunes

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 280
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I do not see this shclockfest available on Crackle- can anyone confirm that it is?

Merry Christmas everyone.
    It's not. There was never any announcement that it would be available on Crackle. AI based their inclusion only on a rumor someone on some blog started.
  • Reply 262 of 280

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacSince1988 View Post

How many people around the world will be receiving an Apple product on Christmas? What would happen if those people had difficulties accessing iTunes or other Apple servers, after unwrapping their new Apple product?

Whether releasing this movie on iTunes caused excessive bandwidth demands, denial of service attacks or anything else that might impair access to Apple's servers, it would be stupid of Apple to risk the rest of their business. Whether you think Apple should release this movie through iTunes or not, a Christmas Day or Christmas Eve release is just not a good idea solely because of the timing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

So what you are saying is that you do not think that Apple's systems are as robust as those from Google and Microsoft?

No.  What I am saying is that Apple would have been foolish to risk the rest of their business, in order to release this movie on Christmas Day.  It was an absolute statement, and was not a comparison to any other company.

With all of the Apple gifts that people received, it does not make sense to (potentially) jeopardize people's ability to activate and use those gifts on Christmas Day.  Even if you have THE most robust and secure systems on the planet, it does not make good business sense to test that on a day that is likely one of your five busiest days of the year.  Especially since many people are receiving an Apple product for the first time as a Christmas gift, you want to do your best to ensure that nothing will interfere with their first interaction with Apple.

The potential revenue for Apple in offering this movie via iTunes is minuscule, compared to their revenue from Christmas gift-giving.  As a business, their first priority should be to protect their major sources of revenue.  The movie can be added to iTunes later, when it does not fall in the middle of peak Christmas loads.

• Reply 263 of 280
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's not. There was never any announcement that it would be available on Crackle. AI based their inclusion only on a rumor someone on some blog started.

On this site, that counts as a checked fact ;)
  • Reply 264 of 280
    My personal opinion is: "mountain, meet molehill."
    This non-story about iTunes is fodder for whatever you want to make of it.
  • Reply 265 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The whole thing is a non-story imho.

• Reply 266 of 280

The whole thing is a non-story imho.

I haven't seen 'The Interview', but as far as I know, it's fictional, so your assertion that it's a non-story would be incorrect.
  • Reply 267 of 280
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

On this site, that counts as a checked fact image

Thanks- I thought I had one too many libations as AI even lists a rental price of $5.99!

• Reply 268 of 280
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
  • Reply 269 of 280
    kpom wrote: »

So does that mean Apple finally manned up?¡
  • Reply 270 of 280
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    So does that mean Apple finally manned up?¡

They saw that the sky didn't fall.
  • Reply 271 of 280
    So it looks like[I] The Interview[/I]'s online viewing sales bested all other individual films being shown at a movie theater. Not a huge first weekend take at $15 million, but definitely substantial, especially when you consider the less overhead involved with the online version as well as the lower cost per viewing, even before considering that multiple people could be viewing it on the same rental.

I hope this leads studios to consider the benefit of online streaming the day of instead of forcing us to wait months. I'm not sure the occasional film that warrants a viewing in a theater would be enough to sustain them if the studios go that route… which I think they will. [I]Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of our lives.[/I]
  • Reply 272 of 280
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

It has just been posted to iTunes! https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/the-interview/id948499637

It looks like TS has some explaining to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

APPLE CLOSES ALL SUBMISSIONS TO THEIR STORES A WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS AND DOESN'T OPEN THEM UNTIL AFTER NEW YEAR'S.

APPLE COULDN'T ACCEPT SONY'S RESTORATION AFTER THEIR PATHETIC, COWARDLY ACT.

This, of course, has already been mentioned, but it stands to say again.

• Reply 273 of 280
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

The iTunes Connect holiday break is over. The movie has been added to the store. The only explaining that needs done is why you’re incapable of reading the English language.

Yeah, I was wrong about the timeframe. You were wrong about the intention.

• Reply 274 of 280
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I hope this leads studios to consider the benefit of online streaming the day of instead of forcing us to wait months. I'm not sure the occasional film that warrants a viewing in a theater would be enough to sustain them if the studios go that route… which I think they will. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of our lives.

I'd like to see streaming replace cinemas but some movie producers are strongly against it as they don't want people watching their films on small screens. There was a director who complained about people who watch movies at home and eat while they're watching as they aren't paying attention to the film. Instant streaming will help piracy too. You can't pirate a movie that is only being shown in cinemas unless someone films the screening. Streaming movies just have to get the feed pointed into a screen capture device and it'll be pirated as soon as it's available.

If they make it more convenient to pay for it (instant-on), the piracy shouldn't be too bad but movie studios would take the cautious approach and people just end up not investing in it because of the lack of titles. All it takes is for one service that you're invested in to not stream a movie you want to watch e.g Apple not streaming this movie until they changed their minds. Then you have to sign up to a whole other service. That's why I think it needs to be a protocol rather than a service like http:// but something like tv://. All you'd do is get a license to watch a stream from a provider and load the link up. The bandwidth for the stream can be shared between providers or even P2P. By default, the movies would be streamed from the license provider but in the event that their service wasn't accessible, the bandwidth would come from a service provider or other local provider as backup. If a streaming service shuts down, your license would be valid and you'd be able to use a different provider. The service would be able to check how many times the license was in active use to prevent them being shared online.

This effectively cuts out the process of streaming providers negotiating streaming rights and reduces them to bandwidth providers but that's all they are anyway.
  • Reply 275 of 280
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The iTunes Connect holiday break is over. The movie has been added to the store. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The only explaining that needs done is why you’re incapable of reading the English language.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Yeah, I was wrong about the timeframe. You were wrong about the intention.</span>
    The timeframe is demonstrable fact, the intention is pure speculation.
  • Reply 276 of 280
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Get over yourself.

Thanks for the continuously false implications. I got over myself something like six years ago.

• Reply 277 of 280
    Your continual bad attitude and manners suggest otherwise, but whatever.
  • Reply 278 of 280
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Your continual bad attitude and manners suggest otherwise, but whatever.

Telling someone to get over themselves on an internet forum is itself bad manners.

I guess black pots are to be found everywhere.

• Reply 279 of 280
    Shut up Frost.
  • Reply 280 of 280
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    It's not that bad of a movie. It's ok.