Apple not offering '12 Days of Gifts' promotion for first time in six years

Comments

• Reply 81 of 125

I wish Apple would sort out iCloud once and for all. Why some apps store data in iCloud and others in iCloud Drive is beyond me. I wish I could simply access all app data in iCloud Drive in the folder on my Mac, with one sub-folder for each app.

And I also wish that if any app crashes on opening, that Apple simply remove it from the App Store until the developer fixes it. In fact, I think Apple should give the App Store a big old spring clean and remove apps that don't get regularly updated. 

Example(s)?
  • Reply 82 of 125

I guess they didn't make enough money in 2014 to feel the joy of giving.

• Reply 83 of 125
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I wish Apple would sort out iCloud once and for all. Why some apps store data in iCloud and others in iCloud Drive is beyond me. I wish I could simply access all app data in iCloud Drive in the folder on my Mac, with one sub-folder for each app.

And I also wish that if any app crashes on opening, that Apple simply remove it from the App Store until the developer fixes it. In fact, I think Apple should give the App Store a big old spring clean and remove apps that don't get regularly updated. 
    I don't think there's anythng in Eddy Cue's org that doesn't have issues or need work except maybe ?Pay. That really does work as advertised.
  • Reply 84 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's like when people cancel Christmas, it's just assumed Christmas will be going ahead as usual.

not really. a corporation running a promo is not a valid analogy to global civilizations celebrating a seasonal holiday for a couple thousands years.

i mean, really.

• Reply 85 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

All I can say is where is the new iTunes and ?TV Eddy? Where is Apple's answer to Fire TV and Chromecast? 

you have it backwards -- Fire TV and Chromecast are Amazon's & Google's answer to Apple TV.

• Reply 86 of 125
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Falling flat on your face is now a stumble? 

largely debatable. i have automatic downloads enabled on my phone and not on my other devices. this release didn't hurt me in the slightest. did. not. care. thus -- not a face plank.

not sure why so many techies (and seems only techies) cried so hard about it. control issues, likely -- despite having the control to disable automatic downloads.

• Reply 87 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I wish Apple would sort out iCloud once and for all. Why some apps store data in iCloud and others in iCloud Drive is beyond me. 

like what? since i switched over to Drive i dont have apps using non-Drive when storing docs in iCloud.

• Reply 88 of 125
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Netcrawler View Post

I guess they didn't make enough money in 2014 to feel the joy of giving.

they gave an album for free and all the tech pundits cried about it.

• Reply 89 of 125

The outcry, as already mentioned, was about how they went about it. For me, I was more than happy to accept the free U2 album (and later pay for the additional tracks). But don't think that Apple didn't benefit from that giveaway, even if it was unwanted by some.

Anyway, belated Merry Christmas...and Happy New Year. Now everyone, go back to your whine.

• Reply 90 of 125
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I guess they thought the free U2 album was enough for one year!

They found out the hard way that their customers HATE free stuff.

• Reply 91 of 125
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

After spending 3 billion for Beats, hopefully they'll be consulting Jimmy and Dre for things like the U2 album promotion in the future. Anyone who understands music would realize that people's playlists are a very personal thing and not everyone in the world loves U2. 

• Reply 92 of 125
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    you have it backwards -- Fire TV and Chromecast are Amazon's & Google's answer to Apple TV.

Whichever way you phrase it Apple has allowed ?TV to languish. Even if they don't have major breakthrough content deals they could still improve the UI and offer an App Store with SDK. Developers would be all over that.
  • Reply 93 of 125
    jakeb wrote: »
    After spending 3 billion for Beats, hopefully they'll be consulting Jimmy and Dre for things like the U2 album promotion in the future. Anyone who understands music would realize that people's playlists are a very personal thing and not everyone in the world loves U2. 

Except that U2 promotion was probably Jimmy's idea.
  • Reply 94 of 125
    nolamacguy wrote: »

they gave an album for free and all the tech pundits cried about it.

People complained about the method, not the fact they got something for free. Had Apple said go to the App Store and download it if you want it no one would have complained.
  • Reply 95 of 125
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    flippysc wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Which Apple store? I want to make sure I never go into that one.</span>

I had a similar odd experience recently. I was passing by the Apple Store in our town and popped it to ask about a faulty Apple LCD 23", which I commented was actually in the car in the parking lot, just in case they could deal with it. "Oh bring it in now' I was told. So I did. 20 minutes later, with the heavy monitor transported by a cart they provided, I returned. Now I was told they couldn't look at it unless I set up an appointment and the next one was next Wednesday (a week away) and I could not leave it there. I had to take it back to my Jeep and then return the cart they provided me with.
  • Reply 96 of 125

"It was a sad example of how rock stars are clearly out of touch with the general public."

And also a sad example of well-fed suburbanites complaining that they got something for free.

• Reply 97 of 125

I don't know if this is related, but it's been 3 weeks since the iTunes' Australian store has had a free single of the week. Perhaps Apple's pursuing a Scrooge approach to Christmas.

• Reply 98 of 125
    I guess they thought the free U2 album was enough for one year!

No, the tool that allowed us to remove the U2 album was the real gift.
  • Reply 99 of 125
    Have to say that comments about this promotion over years might've had something to do with it. Over and over people in appreciative of the posted gifts.
  • Reply 100 of 125
    "It was a sad example of how rock stars are clearly out of touch with the general public."

And also a sad example of well-fed suburbanites complaining that they got something for free.

So people aren't allowed to complain if they get something they don't want if it happens to be free?