'The Interview' lands on iTunes as Sony's best-selling online movie ever

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hopefully somebody will make and release an Obama assassination movie soon....

Careful. That may have just bought you some one-on-one time with the Secret Service.

• Reply 22 of 67
    Yep. Really.

will shut down December 22-29

NOPE - It is still 12/28 on the West Coast, and 12/29 in places like Sydney, Australia (or Apia, Samoa). Still shut down, per the terms of the announcement.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Careful. That may have just bought you some one-on-one time with the Secret Service.

If they wish to interview me about mentioning a hypothetical, fictional comedy movie, and they feel that's the best use of their resources and tax payer money, then go for it.

• Reply 24 of 67
    This article indicates that Apple declined an "exlusive" deal with Sony. I've never seen previous mention of any exclusive deal. Appleinisder, is this new info or the author of the article getting confused?
  • Reply 25 of 67

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... making the straight-to-online film available to iTunes customers ...

Not exactly straight-to-online.  I saw it at a local art house at 12 noon on Xmas day.

But I blew it by not getting there earlier to snag a poster.  Only about 12 people got them.

• Reply 26 of 67
    solipsismy wrote: »
    If iTunes Connect being shut down from December 22-29 wouldn't we then not expect it until, at least, the 29th? Being the 28th and a Sunday would indicate that there are clearly Apple staff working on this and likely having worked on this for at least an additional day.

By TS's logic, the Apple Store at Grand Central is closed on Fridays (doesn't open at all)?

• Reply 27 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I'm not seeing the "connection" between iTunes Store movies and iTunes Connect, which I thought only dealt with App Store apps.

I'd think TV shows, movies and music would be independent, with the only real connection being that Apple HQ is pretyy much closed for Christmas.

The App Store and iTunes all use iTunes Connect to manage media and apps.

runbuh wrote: »
    Really?

December 8, 2014
    As a reminder, iTunes Connect will shut down December 22-29 for the winter holidays. If you plan to schedule app releases or price changes to take place during this time, make sure these changes are scheduled, submitted, and approved by December 18. Users who are currently testing or have been invited to test your pre-release apps with TestFlight will not be affected. Sales and Trends reports will also remain available through the Autoingestion tool.

https://developer.apple.com/news/

When I tried to log in Friday it said I can't log in until the 28th. I was able to log in to iTunes Connect Sunday (28th) morning Pacific time. They do that every year.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Listen up all you incredibly stupid douche-bags posting here. The original ‘story’ that Apple nixed the movie on iTunes was a FUCKING RUMOR. It was NEVER confirmed. Neither Sony, nor Apple, nor the White House offered confirmation. It was a RUMOR ginned up by click-baiters. Read the story right here on AI. Nowhere does it say anything about the ‘story’ being confirmed. It was all innuendo, speculation, and ‘sources.’ It was total BULLSHIT.

From the AI article: “Citing people familiar with the matter, it was said...” Wow, that’s hard fact isn’t it. Unamed sources, yeah, that’s the ticket.

And you morons took it as gospel.

Almost all stories on AI are complete bullshit because AI is a RUMOR site.  You are right though, the morons believe everything posted here as gospel.  They all believed there would be an Apple-branded TV and could not wait to buy one...AI continued to run bullshit stories about that.  Now they write stories about fake iPad Pros with 12" displays and fake iPhone 6S Minis.  It is funny to read how people eat that shit up and believe it.

Back on topic...my friend paid $6 to watch The Interview on YouTube and he fell asleep because it was so fucking boring.  Rogan and Franco are worthless actors that are not even funny.  But most people will buy it for the novelty of watching it.  Maybe Sony needed this stunt to get people to watch it.  It would have failed in the theater.

• Reply 29 of 67
    Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

…It is… …12/29…

Gee. How about that.

• Reply 30 of 67
    Gee. How about that.
    Freakin' Awesome!
  • Reply 31 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The closedown period wasn't over. They probably released it because they saw the other online streaming services making a fortune off it.

What I hope movie studios take away from this is that you can make a lot of money releasing online at the same time as the cinema (rather than taking away that you can make a lot of money by making a lot of hype).

• Reply 32 of 67
    While not directly related, I'm surprised this news item didn't mention the Christmas Day Sony PSN and Microsoft Xbox Live hacks which meant millions of gamers could not use their consoles on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Gee. How about that.
    Classic! Right up there with "i can make this piece of candy disappear.. What's that over there" (then you eat it)
    I laughed. :)

As for this movie- yawn. Protect freedom of speech? Ridiculous. Saying freedom of art would be more accurate, but still inaccurate. All you're supporting is Sony- you know- the ones who got hacked and pulled the movie only to get pushed back into releasing it? That's if we believe it wasn't contrived. Either way- why support either action? Idiots...
  • Reply 34 of 67
    runbuh wrote: »
    By TS's logic, the Apple Store at Grand Central is closed on Fridays (doesn't open at all)?

[image]

Nothing in his statements suggest he ever meant the Apple Store or any other customer-facing services were shutdown during that timeframe.

nasserae wrote: »
    The App Store and iTunes all use iTunes Connect to manage media and apps.

1) I an see how content to released during that week would be setup at least a week beforehand, but they would still need people to oversee their systems, even if the uploads were completely automated.

2) If Apple simply didn't have enough staff to make the deal, transcode the copy with the proper chapters, subtitles, languages, CC, etc. in the 2(?) days Sony went from no-release to release, then they really need to set up a contingency plan for such an occurrence in the future. There was definitely money on the table, but I think the biggest mistake may be allowing other services to get used as a result. I know I tried Crackle.com (based on The Verge's rumor) and rented from YouTube.com, both of which I found to be a much more enjoyable and smoother experience than I expected.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Classic! Right up there with "i can make this piece of candy disappear.. What's that over there" (then you eat it)

The failure of comprehension here lies with you and you alone (and, well, the others who don’t seem to get it).

All you’re supporting is Sony…

Hardly.

That's if we believe it wasn't contrived.

Because movie studios often take multi-million dollar baths and ruin their own reputations to promote a movie… :rolleyes:

• Reply 36 of 67
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I'm not seeing the "connection" between iTunes Store movies and iTunes Connect, which I thought only dealt with App Store apps.

I'd think TV shows, movies and music would be independent, with the only real connection being that Apple HQ is pretyy much closed for Christmas.

iTunes Connect is used for all iTunes content. The reason for the lockout is to handle traffic during peak periods and to reduce Apple's customer support over that period too. Lots of reasons why, but mostly to prevent gaming the system.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    ascii wrote: »
    The closedown period wasn't over. They probably released it because they saw the other online streaming services making a fortune off it.

What I hope movie studios take away from this is that you can make a lot of money releasing online at the same time as the cinema (rather than taking away that you can make a lot of money by making a lot of hype).

I was able to sign into iTunes Connect mid-afternoon on Sunday while they had said it would be closed through Sunday. Got to remember there's that whole time zone thing...
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Why pay for it, its been on the torrents and to give $6 to rent it is a joke and also to
    pay $15 on iTunes or You Tube lol
  • Reply 39 of 67
    WHO CARES!!!!!!
  • Reply 40 of 67
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Not their best movie but entertaining enough with plenty of laugh out loud moments. Each to their own but I think that if you are an old fart or take life too seriously you are not gonna like this.