Sony wanted 'The Interview' on iTunes for Christmas, but Apple rejected fast timetable

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

The movie budget documents were part of the hacked Sony files. Just type in "Sony The Interview budget" into your favorite search engine.

Box Office Mojo only lists budget numbers from official studio press releases. Studios often do not reveal the budget when they think they have laid a turd.

• Reply 102 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

This can't be that hard to understand. Your logic requires that everything falling into a poor grade be shit and yet you're somehow ignoring a 64% score from critics and then trying to trump movies of nostalgia — one of which I think is complete shit — as being great because reviews 20+ years after it was originally released have critics giving it a positive review. How the **** can you not understand that?

All those movies made bank when they debuted, Mr. Brainiac.

We realize you are trying to defend your decision in seeing The Interview, what I called a 1 hr. 52 min. waste of time (that I thankfully did not lose).

Why don't you grow a pair and just say, "I don't care what the critics say, I saw it and I liked it" and leave it at that?

Or if you didn't like it, admit that you got played by Sony and you wasted whatever rental fee you paid to YouTube/Google. Maybe it just irks you that Google got a cut, not Apple. That's understandable around here.

• Reply 103 of 110
    mpantone wrote: »

All those movies made bank when they debuted, Mr. Brainiac.

I realize you are trying to defend your decision in seeing The Interview. Why don't you grow a pair and just say, "I don't care what the critics say, I saw it and I liked it" and leave it at that?

1) Again, you're not following. Perhaps you need to check your emotion, think, and then comment. I've stated very clearly that I didn't think the movie was very funny (I don't think I laughed once) but it's exactly what I expected from that sort of film, especially with the history of these actors/writers. Why is that so hard to grasp? What issue do you have with this genre of film? It's no Gone Girl in terms of critical acclaim, but only an idiot would expect it to be.

2) And what does "made bank" have to do with the critics pooh-poohing a stupid comedy? Is the material somehow better and more entertaining if the movie made more of a profit? Answer: No.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Is the material somehow better and more entertaining if the movie made more of a profit? Answer: No.

More entertaining, yes. That reflects that the consumer found it entertaining.

Studios aren't in the business of making movies that don't return a profit. Their main duty, like Apple, like any other publicly traded company is to increase shareholder value.

Let's face it, you sound like someone desperate to justify the fact that you saw this movie, despite the fact that all signs point to it as being a turd. You got up in the hype. Sony found their mark.

I have no issue with this genre of film, as long as the quality is there. Concerning The Interview, the consensus says it was not.

• Reply 105 of 110
    mpantone wrote: »
    More entertaining, yes. That reflects that the consumer found it entertaining.

So these consumers paid for their theater viewings after the fact, not before? :roll eyes:

One word: marketing.
    Studios aren't in the business of making movies that don't return a profit.

Do you even know what percentages of movies turn a profit for studios? Do you even read Box Office Mojo (or other publication and reporting services) on the film industry? Do you even realize how financially successful the The Transformers series movies are and how poorly they are rated by critics? You really should before you make your myopic comments.
    Let's face it, you sound like someone desperate to justify the fact that you saw this movie, despite the fact that all signs point to it as being a turd. You got up in the hype. Sony found their mark.

You're losing this argument because you have no logical foundation so you keep attempting to insult me. Keep trying but it's not going to work. I see most movies pretty much the week they come out on video. The Interview is no exception and the next dumb comedy by Seth Rogen will likely not be an exception. I also saw Gone Girl this week. I guess my mention of it means I'm trying to justify that turd. :no:
  • Reply 106 of 110
    solipsismy wrote: »
    This can't be that hard to understand. Your logic requires that everything falling into a poor grade be shit and yet you're somehow ignoring a 64% score from critics and then trying to trump movies of nostalgia — one of which I think is complete shit — as being great because reviews 20+ years after it was originally released have critics giving it a positive review. How the **** can you not understand that?

edit: Here are some randomly picked comedies that are beloved and yet have shitty score (note that the older the movie the more positive review they have as time passes):

Spaceballs is the shiznit.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    ecats wrote: »
    I don't think it's hacking fears which are compelling the rejection across multiple online services including iTunes.

It's already a seriously busy day of the year for bandwidth - all those people on their new devices, between software updates, media and new software downloads, adding a highly publicised film with little more than last-minute preparations is a recipe for disaster on any service. That's before we recognise the DDOS attacks that will likely take place.

We've already seen how much traffic keynotes and iOS updates create, and those are with long prep schedules.

I'm not reading all 108 messages to see if someone already replied to this - but your bandwidth concerns are laughable, as is your comparison to the problems with the keynotes. There is a huge difference between streaming a live event and streaming pre-recorded content such as a movie or TV show. With all of the NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, iTunes, etc content being streamed all day, every day, why would you think that one additional movie being available would be cause for bandwidth concerns? It's true it would have been a busy day for software updates, game downloads, etc - but knowing that, the online services that will be the busiest (Sony, Microsoft and perhaps the Apple Activation servers) would have had ample time to scale up their delivery infrastructure to meet the anticipated demand. The Apple Activation servers are not the same servers that stream the Movies and TV shows. As for iTunes, there's no difference between someone purchasing and downloading "The Interview" or purchasing any one of the other movies or TV shows already available. I'm still laughing at the absurdity of this comment and those that have chimed in in agreement with it!
  • Reply 108 of 110
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Spaceballs is the shiznit.

I like all those films but I like them in the reverse order of Rotten Tomato's ratings.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Aaaand it's available now via iTunes. Moot much?