iCloud Photo Library, Photo Stream & how to make sense of your photos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    I'm presuming that a degraded copy of each file showing up in that structure is being stored locally. If I have 10MB raw image files I still have to capture and create a local small footprint image to see when sorting through my collection.

When you look at your Mac what does your set up say about your local files reflecting that view?

Not the OP you're asking the question of: but I will say that "capturing a small footprint" image is what I've been expecting Apple to do all along.

I call it "Device Optimized Proxis", something that we were forced to use way back in the day with Hell scans and page layout software. I believe you remember those days also quite well "ol' chap"... :smokey:
  • Reply 22 of 52
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member

Agreed. iPhoto always beachballs for me. Sometimes as much as 15 minutes. I have quad core i7, too. Not some older device.

• Reply 23 of 52
    philboogie wrote: »
    That's good info, thank you. I would presume [@]digitalclips[/@] is happy to read this info as well. Possibly [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] as well.

I am wondering if the order gets retained; were your images all from iPhoto projects listed alphabetically and is it displayed correctly on your iPad and iPhone? Including iCloud.com?

And if I may ask, have you also uploaded any videos, and are these displayed in correct order, syncing over properly as well?

I ask as I'm having my fair share of issues with photos on my iPhone and iPad. On the desktop I use Aperture and some of the projects sync over in a special 'Events' folder, some are just in the photos section. Importing photos onto my iPad with the CCK do not show up in the system folder 'Last Import' etc. Anyway, I'm ranting away - sorry about that. And welcome to the forum.

[@]PhilBoogie[/@]Hi again and thank for the heads up on the interesting post. An interesting "work around" to be sure for experimental purposes while Photos is in beta. However due to the beta nature and no "real" OSX access and a clunky fudge to iCloud, it's tough for me to take the time to see of there's a better work flow than the one Apple84 discovered.

I'm hoping Apple does away with "events, albums, and collections" and goes with just one name for a user defined arrangement of pictures. That could be anything from a Smart Folder (search) with a city, face, date, name, keyword, ratings, a color, device name (EXIF)... 'Last import'... to a user defined name for a "collection of pictures and video". Technically speaking they are all the same thing anyway: aliases to the original using a meta tag.

I'm hoping that all individual and automatic system defined meta tags are written to the original file (possibly a side car?) and NOT ONLY to a proprietary database. INCLUDING meta data such as: if the photo has been edited and by what extension; whether it has been posted to Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr and the date and device it was shared with; who it has been shared with via email or messages; which Pages, Numbers, Keynote docs it is in; etc. etc.

I've said this all before, but AFAIC meta data and the ability to retrieve your pictures or video *is* one of my top concerns for the "futuristic" approach to filing needs... even if it means the continued use of "folder" metaphors (Smart Folders).

The new Spotlight search gives me hope that my "wishes" are being worked on at Apple.

And if I'm able to speculate even further, think about this for a moment: if Google has won the battle for internet search... why shouldn't Apple win the battle for secure personal search across it's devices, iCloud, tailored to it's users and their very own "assets" (see above post)? What about a Siri/Spotlight that truly becomes a "personal digital assistant/manager"... useful "artificial intelligence for *one*"...meaning you?

* Last but not least hope all are enjoying their holiday season and most of all health and happiness! For some of us, it could be said it affords far too much time for "day dreaming"... :smokey:
  • Reply 24 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    applefan84 wrote: »
    I have always been an early adopter of Apple products and iCloud Photo Library is no different. I have purchased 200 GB of storage and my entire 75 GB library is already in the cloud.

I experienced problems using the web interface to upload photos to iCloud. Among them was the fact that there is currently no tool that allows direct upload from iPhoto. What I did was dragged photos from iPhoto to a folder, which makes a copy of the photos, and then uploaded the folder. This caused many photos to loose their geotag information. Not all photos were affected this way but the majority were. This was unacceptable to me so I deleted whatever I had in the cloud and started over.

This time I went in the iPhoto library folder (by right clicking and selecting "Show contents") and selected all photos in the "Masters" folded. I attempted to upload them in one shot and that broke the web interface completely. I now have a gray screen with a spinner in the middle every time I open the Photos app in iCloud.com

I did not give up however. I turned on iCloud Photo Library on my iPad and airdropped the contents of my Masters folder 600 items at a time. Once the photos were received by the iPad, it immediately started uploading them.

I am now happy to report that my entire 75 GB library is in the cloud. I was extremely pleased to see that it only takes 1.2 GB on my iPhone with the "Optimize storage" option turned on. That is really impressive, and the photos that are stored on the device are not just thumbnails. They look pretty decent on full screen. You can verify that by turning on Airplane mode and trying to access a photo older than a week (or which you haven't opened in the last week). First it will complain that it can't download the full resolution picture but it will show you an acceptable low red version, which looks good enough on the iPhone screen. As mentioned earlier it keeps the last week worth of photos in high resolution.

With the above in mind there is really no need to specify time frames for separate devices. Just turn on the optimize storage option and you will have all your photos on all your devices without having to worry about the space they take up. As for an offline album I suspect that photos you have favorited will be always available in high resolution but I have not had a chance to test that yet. You will always have a low resolution version of every photo available offline, which is acceptable for viewing on the device.

I hope this information is useful to people especially those who are not willing to wait for the Mac app to come out and simplify the process. I am glad I was impatient and after having used it for a week I can't believe how many times it came in handy to have every single photo I have ever taken, accessible on my iPhone.

I have tried a similar approach, i.e. dragging images manually to iCoud Drive, but it is far from a workable solution for me. If the images are on an external drive a copy is made on the internal drive's ~/Library prior to uploading to the cloud. I assume if they start off on the internal drive they are aliased thus not increasing storage use by much but not so if an external drive is the source. With the small SSD found in a new Mac Pro and massive size of Aperture Libraries stuffed with RAW files from 20+ MP cameras on my externals, this simply can't be done. Thus buying more storage space is pointless for anyone with a limited internal drive capacity.

I notice OWC now offer a 1 and 2 TB internal SSD for the new Mac fro at close to $999 and $1500 respectively which would allow me to upload one of my Aperture Libraries this way out of about 10 I have!
  • Reply 25 of 52
    [@]PhilBoogie[/@]Hi again and thank for the heads up on the interesting post. An interesting "work around" to be sure for experimental purposes while Photos is in beta. However due to the beta nature and no "real" OSX access and a clunky fudge to iCloud, it's tough for me to take the time to see of there's a better work flow than the one Apple84 discovered.

I'm hoping Apple does away with "events, albums, and collections" and goes with just one name for a user defined arrangement of pictures. That could be anything from a Smart Folder (search) with a city, face, date, name, keyword, ratings, a color, device name (EXIF)... 'Last import'... to a user defined name for a "collection of pictures and video". Technically speaking they are all the same thing anyway: aliases to the original using a meta tag.

I'm hoping that all individual and automatic system defined meta tags are written to the original file (possibly a side car?) and NOT ONLY to a proprietary database. INCLUDING meta data such as: if the photo has been edited and by what extension; whether it has been posted to Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr and the date and device it was shared with; who it has been shared with via email or messages; which Pages, Numbers, Keynote docs it is in; etc. etc.

I've said this all before, but AFAIC meta data and the ability to retrieve your pictures or video *is* one of my top concerns for the "futuristic" approach to filing needs... even if it means the continued use of "folder" metaphors (Smart Folders).

The new Spotlight search gives me hope that my "wishes" are being worked on at Apple.

And if I'm able to speculate even further, think about this for a moment: if Google has won the battle for internet search... why shouldn't Apple win the battle for secure personal search across it's devices, iCloud, tailored to it's users and their very own "assets" (see above post)? What about a Siri/Spotlight that truly becomes a "personal digital assistant/manager"... useful "artificial intelligence for *one*"...meaning you?

* Last but not least hope all are enjoying their holiday season and most of all health and happiness! For some of us, it could be said it affords far too much time for "day dreaming"... :smokey:

What seems to be absent thus far in the new beta Photo set up is a way to select a specific set of images and publish them to the cloud with user definable layout and access, i.e. public or private via list of emails. This was always a sweet feature in Aperture. That even got dumbed down a year or two ago with that simplified viewing layout using Microsoft like tiles and limited viewing and download options. A few years back Aperture had the perfect solution for creating client portfolios for online viewing from a wonderful selection of preset modes or even user definable layouts. Sadly no more.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    I have tried a similar approach, i.e. dragging images manually to iCoud Drive, but it is far from a workable solution for me. If the images are on an external drive a copy is made on the internal drive's ~/Library prior to uploading to the cloud. I assume if they start off on the internal drive they are aliased thus not increasing storage use by much but not so if an external drive is the source. With the small SSD found in a new Mac Pro and massive size of Aperture Libraries stuffed with RAW files from 20+ MP cameras on my externals, this simply can't be done. Thus buying more storage space is pointless for anyone with a limited internal drive capacity.

I notice OWC now offer a 1 and 2 TB internal SSD for the new Mac fro at close to $999 and $1500 respectively which would allow me to upload one of my Aperture Libraries this way out of about 10 I have!

I totally agree: unacceptable! For any of my usage scenarios or wishes to come true, iCloud MUST allow sym links to external data sources... and continue to sync there if edited from the cloud or another device.

That's why I advocate embedded meta data rather than a database file. Although a database file *could* be utilized and cached in addition to embedded meta for the sole express purpose of speed and slow/no network connections.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    What seems to be absent thus far in the new beta Photo set up is a way to select a specific set of images and publish them to the cloud with user definable layout and access, i.e. public or private via list of emails. This was always a sweet feature in Aperture. That even got dumbed down a year or two ago with that simplified viewing layout using Microsoft like tiles and limited viewing and download options. A few years back Aperture had the perfect solution for creating client portfolios for online viewing from a wonderful selection of preset modes or even user definable layouts. Sadly no more.

I've been using Picturelife (free) now for over a year on all of my devices as well as the desktop app, which allows easy and fast uploading, syncing and sharing of galleries (albums). I've also been dabbling with Flickr to do the same for clients and their clients.

This is easy stuff for Apple to do I would assume, considering these types of sharing services and platforms have been around for some 15 years now in the form of PHP gallery scripts, which today would be HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript... as well as all of the SmugMug-service type sites.

Funny enough, all of the features that most people are wanting have been available feature-wise within Google Picasa. HOWEVER, with a hideous Google interface, worthlessly confusing desktop app and of course... fear of Google's prying eyes and take-no-prisoner TOS agreement. The framework coding is certainly proof-of-concept though.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    I've been using Picturelife (free) now for over a year on all of my devices as well as the desktop app, which allows easy and fast uploading, syncing and sharing of galleries (albums). I've also been dabbling with Flickr to do the same for clients and their clients.

This is easy stuff for Apple to do I would assume, considering these types of sharing services and platforms have been around for some 15 years now in the form of PHP gallery scripts, which today would be HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript... as well as all of the SmugMug-service type sites.

Funny enough, all of the features that most people are wanting have been available feature-wise within Google Picasa. HOWEVER, with a hideous Google interface, worthlessly confusing desktop app and of course... fear of Google's prying eyes and take-no-prisoner TOS agreement. The framework coding is certainly proof-of-concept though.

I'll check it out, thanks. I have struggled on with Flickr, but discovered snags with the Aperture upload not maintaining full size. I spent yesterday re uploading many images again and new images (check them out) by exporting as full size jpegs and using the Finder's Share with Flickr feature which is very nice and supports batches, what a shame this can't work within Aperture.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Getting photo management right, in all phases of the development of Photos is... and very well should be... one of if not THE priority at Apple. The taking of quality pictures has been the battle ground of mobile devices for quite a while now, so it stands to reason that the management and security of the results of all of the tech that has been thrown at the quality side be realized post haste. Simply said: simple, secure, synced photo management is the new "sticky factor" to selling Apple devices at the margins that Apple wants to continue to enjoy.

Fully agree; they really ought to hit home with their Aperture & iPhoto replacement next year. They tout the camera in their latest iPhone, every year. "Kids look happier" and all that. Why did they left their desktop photo applications to rot is not cool and I expect a full featured replacement application. Heck, for all I care they can charge me for their effort, but please make it a truly workable (and tested!) solution.

Hear hear! They really ought to make even better use of meta data. I don't mind the pre configured folders in iOS, but they could expand on it much further. (for me, search doesn't work, there must be something wrong with it) I would love to be able to create smart folders on the fly on iOS.

Fantastic idea!

And if I'm able to speculate even further, think about this for a moment: if Google has won the battle for internet search... why shouldn't Apple win the battle for secure personal search across it's devices?

The search function in iTunes completely sucks. It only works if you type the name correctly, no boolean search, no further filtering, no predictive search, no history, nothing. It sucks, which is weird as Spotlight really is good.

Best wishes and a healthy new year sir! To you and your loved ones.

Indeed, sadly no more. Going back even further, MobileMe had the option to publish your jpg, password protected, AND upload the original photos in RAW which clients could then download after viewing the jpg's first. Alas, all jpg now.

Well, at least we now get automatic video syncing as well. With Photostream we could only upload videos manually.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Fully agree; they really ought to hit home with their Aperture & iPhoto replacement next year. They tout the camera in their latest iPhone, every year. "Kids look happier" and all that. Why did they left their desktop photo applications to rot is not cool and I expect a full featured replacement application. Heck, for all I care they can charge me for their effort, but please make it a truly workable (and tested!) solution.
    Hear hear! They really ought to make even better use of meta data. I don't mind the pre configured folders in iOS, but they could expand on it much further. (for me, search doesn't work, there must be something wrong with it) I would love to be able to create smart folders on the fly on iOS.
    Fantastic idea!
    The search function in iTunes completely sucks. It only works if you type the name correctly, no boolean search, no further filtering, no predictive search, no history, nothing. It sucks, which is weird as Spotlight really is good.
    Indeed, sadly no more. Going back even further, MobileMe had the option to publish your jpg, password protected, AND upload the original photos in RAW which clients could then download after viewing the jpg's first. Alas, all jpg now.

Well, at least we now get automatic video syncing as well. With Photostream we could only upload videos manually.

I hope Apple publishes a set of Public APIs so the likes of OwnCloud can extend services to iCloud like having your own server running OwnCloud on your IP with RAW files as a clickable option to reroute to via iCloud.

That would be a cool feature, especially for small businesses and those not interested in tiered file space fees.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    I hope Apple publishes a set of Public APIs so the likes of OwnCloud can extend services to iCloud like having your own server running OwnCloud on your IP with RAW files as a clickable option to reroute to via iCloud.

That would be a cool feature, especially for small businesses and those not interested in tiered file space fees.

YES! YES! YES!

I'm working on this very kind of project as we speak for diverse clients using Bittorrent Sync.

I was hoping (and still am!) since the beginning of the year (2014) that Apple would see that an easily configured from either iOS or OSX, Family Home Server (with iTunes and iPhoto!) is the missing link to their "complete solution for the home". Collaboration and shared resources included, specifically as it relates to this thread.... shared family photo albums similar to Photostream's attempt.

I ran across OwnCloud in the past, likely from one of your previous posts, and will have to take a closer look. Thanks (again?) for the tip!
  • Reply 32 of 52
    I'll check it out, thanks. I have struggled on with Flickr, but discovered snags with the Aperture upload not maintaining full size. I spent yesterday re uploading many images again and new images (check them out) by exporting as full size jpegs and using the Finder's Share with Flickr feature which is very nice and supports batches, what a shame this can't work within Aperture.

I would assume that the Flickr plugin in Aperture isn't recognizing some of the new capabilities within Flickr.

I'm also loving Finder's Share capabilities! I'm using it to integrate Tumblr posting... another Yahoo property as I'm sure you're aware.

I'm "trying" to put together an easy to use integrated solution for many work-flow bottlenecks that my photographer clientele continues to use as excuses for not updating their website(s) or taking far too much time to get feedback from their clients on shootings (which select pictures to retouch for example). Everyone kicks all of their work out to Facebook with ease, even though I'm personally not fond of the "truthful & useful feedback" that comes from that platform, and of course... it's mainly used for finished photos or for ego boosting. So it's my "job" to make everything else as easy as an FB post for them.

Considering I've managed to get everyone (that matters :) ) to purchase Macs last year, now I have to show them that they're FAR more useful to boost productivity another notch using some of the powerful foundations and capabilities of OSX. Nothing I kick myself more for than walking into a client's office and observing them working on a Mac the way the did on a WinBox previously(!) and not utilizing Spotlight, Tags, finder views, Smart Folders, etc. All things that make Macs stable "productive workstations" and not just another "browse, drill-down and click" box. More advanced training course offerings is a must this year.

Ooops.... OT rant and personal reminder.... sorry!

Anyway.... gotta say: your "nailing it" with your 100-400mm! Lovely shots!!! Note: a couple of photos I noticed some slight chromatic aberration, which is to be expected due to the subject and lighting (sharpening?). Is there a check box to reduce this in Aperture? Does Aperture recognize your lens? Just curious and pixel-peeping to the extreme on my part. Certainly nothing to worry about. The Sand Crane headshot and Attack are "fan-EFIN-tasic"!

Note: you just don't want to know how many beautiful "birds of another feather" I had to skip over in my feed to find your Sand Cranes! Not sure if you should be honored by that statement, or I need to cull my flock from diversions no matter how inspiring they may be?!....:smokey:
  • Reply 33 of 52
    ... I would love to be able to create smart folders on the fly on iOS.

Absolutely a must!

Another valid reason why Spotlight hooks are needed within ANY program that has a search function, and NOT proprietary DB search. OS-wide search with all of it's commands and operators... EVERYWHERE!

Thank you and the same to you and yours as well!

* Although: "sir" makes me sound old (even though I am!) and I'm doing my "bestest" not to feel that way in this rather nasty wet-cold snow-slush weather we're experiencing. Old hockey injuries amplified without the soothing squeals and inspiration from my beloved cheerleaders this time of year. Brutal reality is sooo 2014! ... :smokey:
  • Reply 34 of 52
    I would assume that the Flickr plugin in Aperture isn't recognizing some of the new capabilities within Flickr.

I'm also loving Finder's Share capabilities! I'm using it to integrate Tumblr posting... another Yahoo property as I'm sure you're aware.

I'm "trying" to put together an easy to use integrated solution for many work-flow bottlenecks that my photographer clientele continues to use as excuses for not updating their website(s) or taking far too much time to get feedback from their clients on shootings (which select pictures to retouch for example). Everyone kicks all of their work out to Facebook with ease, even though I'm personally not fond of the "truthful & useful feedback" that comes from that platform, and of course... it's mainly used for finished photos or for ego boosting. So it's my "job" to make everything else as easy as an FB post for them.

Considering I've managed to get everyone (that matters :) ) to purchase Macs last year, now I have to show them that they're FAR more useful to boost productivity another notch using some of the powerful foundations and capabilities of OSX. Nothing I kick myself more for than walking into a client's office and observing them working on a Mac the way the did on a WinBox previously(!) and not utilizing Spotlight, Tags, finder views, Smart Folders, etc. All things that make Macs stable "productive workstations" and not just another "browse, drill-down and click" box. More advanced training course offerings is a must this year.

Ooops.... OT rant and personal reminder.... sorry!

Anyway.... gotta say: your "nailing it" with your 100-400mm! Lovely shots!!! Note: a couple of photos I noticed some slight chromatic aberration, which is to be expected due to the subject and lighting (sharpening?). Is there a check box to reduce this in Aperture? Does Aperture recognize your lens? Just curious and pixel-peeping to the extreme on my part. Certainly nothing to worry about. The Sand Crane headshot and Attack are "fan-EFIN-tasic"!

Note: you just don't want to know how many beautiful "birds of another feather" I had to skip over in my feed to find your Sand Cranes! Not sure if you should be honored by that statement, or I need to cull my flock from diversions no matter how inspiring they may be?!....:smokey:

Well thank you for the compliments kind sir... made my day. Yes I am sure I am often messing up the RAW data too much in post and everything on Flickr is jpeg... some images are cropped and then exported back as full size jpegs thus enlarged so if you pixel peep they will look like crap. I find I can crop up to about 70% and re enlarge to maintain consistent screen sizes in Flickr without it being obvious until you go in deeper.

I grow to love that lens more each day and my left arm grows stronger! lol. BTW not sure why you had to hunt, didn't you have the URL for my feed?

I can imagine the stress converting folks to Mac only to have the work flow you wanted them to be able to use vanish thanks to Apple. Believe me as an Apple DTP retailer for many years I know that feeling and even now with just friends and family I am exasperated by trying to support them through this transition when they had just about managed to deal with iOS / OS X and iPhoto. Now it's all back to square one!

I agree with others in this thread that photographs and to some extent video are far more important in the long run than most other data related things in most people's lives. Almost anything else is replaceable your photographs are often unique. I hope Apple rise to this for both home users and Pros sadly i am starting to believe they have lost interest in the latter.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    ...OwnCloud...

Thank you for an excellent tip, a Top Tip.

The one from Fat Cat is quite old:
    http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/flickrexportaperture/

Just as this one:
    http://flickruppa.com

But the latter is supposedly better.

Thank you and the same to you and yours as well!

* Although: "sir" makes me sound old (even though I am!) and I'm doing my "bestest" not to feel that way in this rather nasty wet-cold snow-slush weather we're experiencing. Old hockey injuries amplified without the soothing squeals and inspiration from my beloved cheerleaders this time of year. Brutal reality is sooo 2014! ... :smokey:

Sorry 'bout that; I'll simply refer to you by ThePixelDoc. So I'll leave you with a 'light up buddy'

BTW not sure why you had to hunt, didn't you have the URL for my feed?

What URL? (sorry to barge in here) Can I view them as well? (sorry for being... intrusive, just very curious)
    I agree with others in this thread that photographs and to some extent video are far more important in the long run than most other data related things in most people's lives. Almost anything else is replaceable your photographs are often unique. I hope Apple rise to this for both home users and Pros sadly i am starting to believe they have lost interest in the latter.

I understand your take on this. A part of me feels the same way, yet I also think there must be a reason, a good one, that they are taking an extremely long time to release their new Photos for OSX app. I mean, it's probably not so much the software, the interface, the filters, the photo management of the package, rather a perfectly working iCloud syncing backend that they need to get right. Currently I do have some issues with Photostream. Newly taken photos wren't showing up in the stream, and it stayed empty for three (!) weeks (starting Nov 24). Now it's working again, without me changing anything. But the time taking to update the stream varies from day to day. Weird.

And since they're adding auto sync for videos as well they may just be expanding their capacity for it(?) The 'device optimised versions' may be another factor for the long wait, although I think I can easily draw it on paper as to how to configure it all - without me being an IT Architect.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Well thank you for the compliments kind sir... made my day. Yes I am sure I am often messing up the RAW data too much in post and everything on Flickr is jpeg... some images are cropped and then exported back as full size jpegs thus enlarged so if you pixel peep they will look like crap. I find I can crop up to about 70% and re enlarge to maintain consistent screen sizes in Flickr without it being obvious until you go in deeper.
    May I suggest keeping the ratio consistent and letting the pixel dimensions alone? Technically speaking, at 5472 x 3648 RAW size, you'll have ~3830 x 2553 JPGs which will still look glorious on 4K***

A note on cropping RAWs: I personally always suggest editing the full RAW size with non-destructive editing tools, whether Aperture, Lightroon, CameraOne, etc. and cropping later. Reason being is that it's far easier to crop later using a preset (LR) for optimal screen sizes for viewing (iMac, iPad, 1080p HD, etc.), or say a book project, specialty layout. Nothing hurts me more as an art director than when I have no room to crop, and/or finding out that the edit was done in Photoshop and has a "final" tight crop applied cutting of valuable pixels. Many times pixels chopped of left/right determine a pleasing crop top/bottom and vice versa, or at the very least takes unnecessary time to try and graft in what's now missing. I even go so far as to tell "profi" photographers to quite cropping in-camera. Composing is one thing; chop-crops are another... especially if a picture "might be" intended for multiple uses.

*** From Wikipedia:
    4K has become the common name for ultra high definition television (UHDTV), although its resolution is only 3840 x 2160 (at a 16:9, or 1.78:1 aspect ratio), which is lower than the 4K industry standard of 4096 x 2160 (at a 19:10 or 1.9:1 aspect ratio)

I grow to love that lens more each day and my left arm grows stronger! lol.

I can only imagine! :)
    BTW not sure why you had to hunt, didn't you have the URL for my feed?

Who said I was hunting because I didn't have your bookmark? :) I neglected my Flickr feed for a few weeks now, and it was happy hunting indeed!
    I can imagine the stress converting folks to Mac only to have the work flow you wanted them to be able to use vanish thanks to Apple. Believe me as an Apple DTP retailer for many years I know that feeling and even now with just friends and family I am exasperated by trying to support them through this transition when they had just about managed to deal with iOS / OS X and iPhoto. Now it's all back to square one!

I'm hoping for a serious "square one"... because the previous way was far too convoluted with photos, as it is with iTunes Music as well. I've been a happy supporter and subscription-cheerleader of Spotify for almost 2 years now and almost everyone still uses and loves it... me included.

I'm not ready yet to give up hope on Apple... we'll see. And even then, if they create the foundation and publish the APIs as some other folks here are also hoping for, I'll be content to wait it out and see what the 3rd party developers do with the "bricks".

With that said, funny how I woke up this morning to your reply to my post... and had a dreaded feeling of: "optimism is great and daydreaming is good; but be careful when ugly reality sticks it's head up and that it doesn't cause major detours in your carefully laid out plans". My way of saying: Plan B and C must also be in the works and not left to hectic stressful last-minute pivots(!) I hate those.... :no:

Now go "shoot some ducks" while I'm "feeding the chicks" at Flickr with stars and over-the-top ratings!....:smokey:
  • Reply 37 of 52
    (....)
    Sorry 'bout that; I'll simply refer to you by ThePixelDoc. So I'll leave you with a 'light up buddy'

Oh my heart!
    (...)
    I understand your take on this. A part of me feels the same way, yet I also think there must be a reason, a good one, that they are taking an extremely long time to release their new Photos for OSX app. I mean, it's probably not so much the software, the interface, the filters, the photo management of the package, rather a perfectly working iCloud syncing backend that they need to get right. Currently I do have some issues with Photostream. Newly taken photos wren't showing up in the stream, and it stayed empty for three (!) weeks (starting Nov 24). Now it's working again, without me changing anything. But the time taking to update the stream varies from day to day. Weird.

And since they're adding auto sync for videos as well they may just be expanding their capacity for it(?) The 'device optimised versions' may be another factor for the long wait, although I think I can easily draw it on paper as to how to configure it all - without me being an IT Architect.

^^^ (bolded) Me too to be honest. And your previous paragraph points to Apple working furiously on the most important part of the equation: cloud services. I'm wondering if they're using any of their IBM buddies to get this right?

I'm chasing skating to where the puck is going to be... care to follow?!...:D

• Reply 38 of 52
    Me too to be honest. And your previous paragraph points to Apple working furiously on the most important part of the equation: cloud services. I'm wondering if they're using any of their IBM buddies to get this right?

Photo stream uses AWS, but I don't know on what hardware. When Steve introduced iCloud there was a discussion on the servers they used. I'll never find it...

I'm chasing skating to where the puck is going to be... care to follow?[/quote]

Dabbling on which line to respond with:

1) Only if these girls skate faster than I do, so I'll be left behind.
    2) I'll just follow those who are following the puck.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Thank you for an excellent tip, a Top Tip.
    The one from Fat Cat is quite old:
    http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/flickrexportaperture/

Just as this one:
    http://flickruppa.com

But the latter is supposedly better.

What URL? (sorry to barge in here) Can I view them as well? (sorry for being... intrusive, just very curious)

Hi Phil, it is my first attempt at wild life photography so don't laugh ;) I have a lot to learn, big change from what I have done in the past. Sent URL to your messages and other AI regulars who are into photography are welcome to see it if the IM me, just don't want my personal info on a blog like AI. :)
  • Reply 40 of 52
    May I suggest keeping the ratio consistent and letting the pixel dimensions alone? Technically speaking, at 5472 x 3648 RAW size, you'll have ~3830 x 2553 JPGs which will still look glorious on 4K***

A note on cropping RAWs: I personally always suggest editing the full RAW size with non-destructive editing tools, whether Aperture, Lightroon, CameraOne, etc. and cropping later. Reason being is that it's far easier to crop later using a preset (LR) for optimal screen sizes for viewing (iMac, iPad, 1080p HD, etc.), or say a book project, specialty layout. Nothing hurts me more as an art director than when I have no room to crop, and/or finding out that the edit was done in Photoshop and has a "final" tight crop applied cutting of valuable pixels. Many times pixels chopped of left/right determine a pleasing crop top/bottom and vice versa, or at the very least takes unnecessary time to try and graft in what's now missing. I even go so far as to tell "profi" photographers to quite cropping in-camera. Composing is one thing; chop-crops are another... especially if a picture "might be" intended for multiple uses.

*** From Wikipedia:

I can only imagine! :)
    Who said I was hunting because I didn't have your bookmark? :) I neglected my Flickr feed for a few weeks now, and it was happy hunting indeed!
    I'm hoping for a serious "square one"... because the previous way was far too convoluted with photos, as it is with iTunes Music as well. I've been a happy supporter and subscription-cheerleader of Spotify for almost 2 years now and almost everyone still uses and loves it... me included.
    I'm not ready yet to give up hope on Apple... we'll see. And even then, if they create the foundation and publish the APIs as some other folks here are also hoping for, I'll be content to wait it out and see what the 3rd party developers do with the "bricks".

With that said, funny how I woke up this morning to your reply to my post... and had a dreaded feeling of: "optimism is great and daydreaming is good; but be careful when ugly reality sticks it's head up and that it doesn't cause major detours in your carefully laid out plans". My way of saying: Plan B and C must also be in the works and not left to hectic stressful last-minute pivots(!) I hate those.... :no:

Now go "shoot some ducks" while I'm "feeding the chicks" at Flickr with stars and over-the-top ratings!....:smokey:

LOL, the ducks were tasty! :)

Yes I do everything non destructively in Aperture. Any cropping is purely compositional. I meant after all the non destructive work I sometimes crop then just yesterday I tried I exporting a few in Aperture set to the same pixel dimensions as the original RAW pre crop which was purely an experiment. When I didn't do that Flickr presented those cropped images far smaller than un-cropped ones which looked strange. This was using Aperture's upload and the upload after sizing up was with Finder.

BTW do you pay Flickr to avoid ads? I didn't even realize it had them till I saw all my albums now have ads when viewed.

Yep I have been flat out on plans B and C ever since Apple's announcement. So far I am not getting too far! I intend to watch a Lynda series on LM to see if I can make the change. The main issue I wrestle with is a) a library system for retrieval and b) an online backup for RAW. I have a) now with Aperture and I use my own web sever for b) but it is not synced in anyway since it uses the Aperture Library and nothing I try can look inside that for syncing and Aperture itself cannot work it's archival system over FTP as far as I know. Can it?