T-Mobile CEO predicts Apple Watch will be tipping point for wearables, 'phablet' sales to grow

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2015
Outspoken T-Mobile U.S. Chief Executive John Legere published a series of predictions on Tuesday for what he thinks lies ahead in 2015 in the wireless industry, and revealed he has big expectations for the upcoming Apple Watch.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere
T-Mobile CEO John Legere

Legere said he believes the Apple Watch will "mark the tipping point when wearables go from niche to mainstream," he wrote in a new blog post. To him, 2015 will mark the true beginning of the wearables market thanks to Apple, as he believes current devices do not yet show the potential of wearable electronics.

The T-Mobile CEO cited a projection from Transparency Market Research, which believes that the wearables market could balloon to $20 billion in sales within the next few years.

The Apple Watch is scheduled to become available in early 2015 with a starting price of $350, though Apple has not provided any more specific details. The company's highly anticipated entrance into the wearable devices market will initially be limited to iPhone users, as the Apple Watch requires connection with an iPhone for regular use.

In his post on Tuesday, Legere also touched on the growing market for so-called "phablet" style smartphones --?a space that Apple entered this year with its 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus. T-Mobile's leader said he expects that phablet sales will continue to grow in 2015, and predicted that sales will rise at least 50 percent next year.

Growing demand for phablets will continue to cannibalize the tablet market, Legere believes. He also said that larger form factor smartphones will further drive demand for mobile data use.

Since taking over the wireless carrier, Legere has earned a reputation for being outspoken and honest, helping to grow T-Mobile's customer base against rivals AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. He also predicted Tuesday that T-Mobile will officially become the No. 3 largest wireless carrier in America next year, surpassing Sprint thanks to its continued focus on so-called "Un-carrier" strategies that are pro-consumer.

In its latest announcement, T-Mobile revealed it will begin rolling over unused data from month to month, rather than resetting the cap for each billing cycle. Each Data Stash plan will start with 10 gigabytes of 4G LTE data for free through Dec. 31, 2015.

Legere, the mastermind of the "Un-carrier" strategy, has said he's been blown away by consumer demand for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which launched in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Reminds me of me when I took LSD.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Have T-Mobile. With the exception of a few dead spots in my city, it's been absolutely fantastic. I stream iTunes Radio from 7a til 10p. Forgot that AM/FM still exists. Audio quality is unlike any other carrier I've been with. Converted my family and my significant other's family to T-Mobile. Never looked back. And the data roll-over is pissing off a lot of my friends that are stuck in contracts. Sucks to be with anyone else.
  • Reply 3 of 60

I love this guy and the image he creates for the company.

However, I am bound to AT&T - Their coverage and speeds cannot yet be challenged by them. A charismatic CEO is great, but I need service, too. 

• Reply 4 of 60
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

Yes, Apple Watch will require an iPhone. But I'm curious where iPhone has to be. Apple's web page says Apple Watch has wifi, meaning theoretically, the Watch can connect to the iPhone via any wifi network. The Connectivity functions with iPhone to Yosemite phone calls requires the same network, so it is plausible the Watch->iPhone connection will require that. But maybe not?

"Early 2015" is only hours away. 

• Reply 5 of 60
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Yeah, I'm not convinced that "wearables" will go mainstream when the Apple Watch is released. But it will certainly bring mainstream awareness to the concept as it has not been in that past. Will people start wearing them? I'm not convinced.

But I do believe "phablets" will continue to be a growing market segment, if only on the low end of the market spectrum where people can't afford both a tablet and a phone and make the compromise for less money than both, while also getting the very latest technology -- at least as far as Apple is concerned.

• Reply 6 of 60
    eightzero wrote: »
    Yes, Apple Watch will require an iPhone. But I'm curious where iPhone has to be. Apple's web page says Apple Watch has wifi, meaning theoretically, the Watch can connect to the iPhone via any wifi network. The Connectivity functions with iPhone to Yosemite phone calls requires the same network, so it is plausible the Watch->iPhone connection will require that. But maybe not?

It might just be WiFi ad-hoc connections to increase speeds beyond BT's capabilities, which is why it's mention is so limited.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

You will be limited by Bluetooth - a max of about 30m. 

The wifi component is included for Bluetooth+High Speed, and you cannot connect to networks independently from an iPhone.

• Reply 8 of 60
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Either John Legere knows something many don't or he is simply going on the assumption that Apple doesn't tend to release new products in new categories without doing something others haven't.  He's wise not to simply dismiss Apple.  

• Reply 9 of 60
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I predict John Legere will swap the pink tshirt for a black turtleneck.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    He's definitely outspoken. He's often crude. But as for being honest, well, not always. People often mistake outspokenness and crudity for honesty.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd love to go t-mobile but AT&T (and Verizon) coverage is much better.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

You will be limited by Bluetooth - a max of about 30m. 

The wifi component is included for Bluetooth+High Speed, and you cannot connect to networks independently from an iPhone.

I would guess that too. But you've tried it? Or read that is how the function works on Apple source documentation?

• Reply 13 of 60
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Reminds me of me when I took LSD.

You mean, you hallucinated that fantastic things were not just possible, but probable, too?

• Reply 14 of 60
    eightzero wrote: »

It was only hours away in 2014 BC. It will also be only hours away in mid-2015.

Just thought I'd point it out.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

The WiFi connection is meaningless without the nearby iPhone. All the apps, most of the processing and all of the cellular connection is done in the iPhone first.

• Reply 16 of 60
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    rmb0037 wrote: »
    Have T-Mobile. With the exception of a few dead spots in my city, it's been absolutely fantastic. I stream iTunes Radio from 7a til 10p. Forgot that AM/FM still exists. Audio quality is unlike any other carrier I've been with. Converted my family and my significant other's family to T-Mobile. Never looked back. And the data roll-over is pissing off a lot of my friends that are stuck in contracts. Sucks to be with anyone else.

Does't suck to be in a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan. :-)
  • Reply 17 of 60
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not convinced that "wearables" will go mainstream when the Apple Watch is released. But it will certainly bring mainstream awareness to the concept as it has not been in that past. Will people start wearing them? I'm not convinced.

But I do believe "phablets" will continue to be a growing market segment, if only on the low end of the market spectrum where people can't afford both a tablet and a phone and make the compromise for less money than both, while also getting the very latest technology -- at least as far as Apple is concerned.

I’ll take this opportunity to say that I, too, am not convinced that wearables will go mainstream with the launch of the Apple Watch.

It will be interesting to see how successful it is in the first few months. Obviously, it's a given that it will fail compared to the Mac, iPod, iPhone and iPad, but will Cook give it the chop Newton-style, or will he let Ive potter over it in the preserved Barn like the other hobby, the Apple TV?

I, for one, predict that Cook will be leading a Barn-dance over its premature grave, sadly.

We shall find out soon.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

The WiFi connection is meaningless without the nearby iPhone. All the apps, most of the processing and all of the cellular connection is done in the iPhone first.

Apple said that specifically? The iPhone has to be "nearby?" I agree it makes sense, but I'm curious to know for sure.

• Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It was only hours away in 2014 BC. It will also be only hours away in mid-2015.

Just thought I'd point it out.

Well...in 2014BC you would have not have known it was "2014 BC" and could not have known 2015 AD was only hours away.

Just thought I'd point that out.

• Reply 20 of 60
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    T-Mobile CEO predicts Apple Watch will be tipping point for wearables, 'phablet' sales to grow

That's the exact opposite of what Leo Laporte said on his radio show recently!