My MacBook Air Isn't Working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2015

Hello, everyone - I just opened my laptop after several days of non-usage, and the screen did not turn on. Since it was fully charged, I figured it was off, and proceeded to press the power button. Still no reaction. I did this several times with presses of many lengths, still to no avail. I then decided to plug in the laptop, but the light on the charger didn't become orange nor green; just off. I don't know what's wrong - maybe you can give me some insight! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Hello, everyone - I just opened my laptop after several days of non-usage, and the screen did not turn on. Since it was fully charged, I figured it was off, and proceeded to press the power button. Still no reaction. I did this several times with presses of many lengths, still to no avail. I then decided to plug in the laptop, but the light on the charger didn't become orange nor green; just off. I don't know what's wrong - maybe you can give me some insight! Thanks in advance

The battery shouldn't drain to zero as it might not be able to charge up again but it sounds more like the charger broke and hasn't been charging it.

Leave the charger plugged in for a while to see if it ever lights up. If not, try unscrewing the base and unplugging then plugging in the battery, replacing the base and plugging the charger in again.

If you have another charger or can borrow one from a co-worker or friend, try that to see if it's the charger.

If nothing helps, take it into an Apple Store, they have a battery service for $129 if a replacement is needed:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macnotebooks

It is possible for batteries to stop working but check if you just need a different charger first.