Review: Henge Docks' Vertical Docking Station for Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

I'm looking forward to their horizontal docks, esp. at my 2nd office (i.e., living room corner desk) where I don't have a monitor.

I spend 50% of my time on the laptop display, even when I have 2 other monitors (i.e., @work) b/c it's retina and my company won't shell out for retina external displays.

http://hengedocks.com/pages/horizontal-mac-dock

Now THAT looks slick! I wonder how the plug insertion/removal motors or solenoids or whatever they are will hold up? It would be fun to see iFixIt do a teardown on that baby!

Hey Apple, notice how the ports come out the BACK? ;) 

• Reply 22 of 27
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    I think it's useful to know that once one enters clam shell mode, the computer goes to sleep, unless you are using a bluetooth keyboard to wake it.

I use a Henge dock with a 2010 MacBook Pro, and have had no heat issues keeping it in vertical position: heat dissipates through the greater exposure of surface area; instead of heat building up when the device sits in its normal laptop mode.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    peter17peter17 Posts: 1member
    I have 3 MBPs and run them all all day, every day in the closed position attached to Apple displays, Bluetooth keyboards/trackpads and had no problems with heat whatsoever. One of them (17" MBP) is in front of me now and it's not even slightly warm.

I don't have a Henge and I doubt that I'll buy one because I don't see much difference between in the dock and out. The MBP works and looks good both ways, so why bother.

I've been an Apple user for over 10 years and never had any issues with any of their products. I also have Mac Pro, iPhone, iPad and a Time Machine, great products that are a joy to use!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Thanks for the review. I'll get one of these docks now.

As for running the Macbook Pro Retina vertically/closed, I've been doing it for 1.5 years with nary a problem. I have a Japanese stand that keeps it upright, and I do hard gaming in Parallels with no heat or fan issues at all. I wouldn't run a Mac laptop any other way.
  • Reply 25 of 27

Horizontal Dock doesn't mention Thunderbolt!?

• Reply 26 of 27

I'm a little confused. Using my MacBook Pro Retina in clamshell mode changed when I upgraded to Yosemite from Mavericks.

In Mavericks, I could boot already in clamshell mode (with the laptop lid closed).

Now in Yosemite, I have to boot it with the laptop lid open, and after logging in, close the lid to work in clamshell mode.

If this is really true and I'm not missing something, then how in the heck would I even use this Hedge Dock? Boot my laptop up first, then close the lid, and then shove it in the dock? And what about the power and monitor cables? Doesn't the power cable have to be attached to the laptop for clamshell mode to work?

• Reply 27 of 27
    magniusmagnius Posts: 1member

http://hengedocks.com/pages/horizontal-mac-dock

Sigh...well over a year later and we're still waiting :\