US government sanctions North Korea for Sony hack as 'The Interview' reigns atop iTunes charts

Comments

• Reply 41 of 138
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You have "no doubt"? What about the numerous security professionals who think otherwise? What about the links between GoP (not the party, before the right-wing illiterates pile on) and the Lizard Squad?

Can you cite any credible link to back up your claim that they have "thousands of hackers that [sic] have been trained in China"?

Moreover, what is the 'misconception' in my post? I said quite clearly that NK is likely behind it, but paid someone to do it. The larger point I was making was about the incredible vulnerability of our computer systems, including financial systems electrical grids, and weapons systems.

I said misconception about North Korea since you said they didn't have the skills to carry out an attack like this. A simple google search will reveal tons of articles about North Korea's hacking unit. Here is a link to just one article:

http://www.ibtimes.com/north-korea-cyberwarfare-what-we-know-about-dprks-1800-hackers-after-sony-attack-1764914

I agree with you. We are extremely vulnerable to hacks that could cripple electrical grids, financial systems, etc. My thought on that is any country who does that to us will be attacked. I don't think North Korea or any other country has the balls to do that to us because it would lead to their ultimate destruction. 

• Reply 42 of 138
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by joogabah View Post

Ill remind you that your post called for a total blockade

And?

…questioned the right of North Korea to even exist.

And?

This hypocritical hubris could only come from an American.

YEAH. The US is guilty of starving its entire population, forcing people to believe something on penalty of torture and death, and threatening its nearest neighbors with the same.

Keep your delusions to yourself.

• Reply 43 of 138
    Quote:

Time to watch Propaganda 2012...  

Very clever way of putting a mirror up to the West.  No, it isn't really from North Korea.  But it does include some important facts that are rarely considered by Americans clamoring for war.

Just the fact that the USA killed millions of North Koreans should be enough to make calls for war grossly inappropriate.  Want to understand why North Korea is the way North Korea is?  Consider that a militarized state is very often fending off a much more powerful aggressor.

Stop criticizing other people's countries.  That's their business.  Start criticizing your own.  The USA has plenty of faults to discuss and correct.  No need to act like a Nazi with blind patriotism and bald assertions of the need for aggression against others by virtue of our ostensible superiority.

Uh no. The US did not "kill millions" as you ascribe.

• Reply 44 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

My thought on that is any country who does that to us will be attacked. I don't think North Korea or any other country has the balls to do that to us because it would lead to their ultimate destruction. 

Unless someone from the FBI can reasonably counter what the experts are saying, as well as tell us why the mounting evidence on links between GoP and the Lizard Squad doesn't suggest otherwise, it'll be another case similar to -- or at least, a lot of people will believe it to be similar to -- "trust us, we know Saddam was hiding WMD."

The fact that you have a family member in the FBI who said "trust me" is far from proof. It is also far from a source of comfort: in the absence of any official policy to be more forthcoming (s)he should more appropriately have said "no comment" around your family dinner table.

• Reply 45 of 138
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Unless someone from the FBI can reasonably counter what the experts are saying, as well as tell us why the mounting evidence on links between GoP and the Lizard Squad doesn't suggest otherwise, it'll be another case similar to -- or at least, a lot of people will believe it to be similar to -- "trust us, we know Saddam was hiding WMD."

The fact that you have a family member in the FBI who said "trust me" is far from proof. It is also far from a source of comfort: in the absence of any official policy to be more forthcoming (s)he should more appropriately have said "no comment" around your family dinner table.

Can't argue with any of that. That said I have to think there isn't the same political pressure on our secret services to 'find' a conclusion the way there was back then. So I have a little more faith there is NK involvement if they say so even if it ends up being tangential.
  • Reply 46 of 138
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I didn't have an opinion, you read that into my comment yourself. I simply stated I've read the same article you did. I do not have access to sufficient information to know who is right either way.

I didn't read anything into your comment.  Not sure why you disavow your own opinion, which you stated with clarity:  "I read all about that same theory but it was just as much speculation as the idea they did it."  You didn't address my question, which is whether the US should apply sanctions against another country based on their unproven theory.  I think the leaders of NK are evil people, but punishing for an act that they may not have committed is wrong.

• Reply 47 of 138
    williamh wrote: »

I didn't read anything into your comment.  Not sure why you disavow your own opinion, which you stated with clarity:  "I read all about that same theory but it was just as much speculation as the idea they did it."  You didn't address my question, which is whether the US should apply sanctions against another country based on their unproven theory.  I think the leaders of NK are evil people, but punishing for an act that they may not have committed is wrong.

How can I disavow something I never said? I have repeatedly said i suspect NK is involved but cannot know anymore than my cat can. Read what you just quoted slowly and carefully again. As to the part of your comment I didn't address, well i didn't and I wasn't trying to. My only point was nobody knows on this blog which you could just as well have interpreted as supportive of the part I didn't address. Not that it was or wasn't I simply didn't address it. So, are we finished with the pedantry?
  • Reply 48 of 138
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

NK is something all countries on earth should do something about. It is a prison run by a lunatic. I simply cannot see comparing it to much else on the planet to be honest.

That's why, to get out of this mindset of imperial hubris, it is instructive to watch Propaganda 2012.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Uh no. The US did not "kill millions" as you ascribe.

Yes, it did.  Look up the Korean war.

• Reply 49 of 138
    joogabah wrote: »

That's why, to get out of this mindset of imperial hubris, it is instructive to watch Propaganda 2012.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptlXITZ_VQ&spfreload=10

Yes, it did.  Look up the Korean war.

Well you go and watch it if you like, I'd rather watch Netflix, by the way it is way out of date your source of anti western propaganda is slipping.
  • Reply 50 of 138

That's why, to get out of this mindset of imperial hubris, it is instructive to watch Propaganda 2012.  

Or you could quit shilling your video.

• Reply 51 of 138

Or you could quit shilling your video.

Heck you took your sweet time, here am I trying to remain above the frey waiting for you to strike :)
  • Reply 52 of 138
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member

?The Interview is racist, and in very poor taste.  Don't defend propaganda that is so ugly, flippant and shameful (for having no sensitivity to the fact that North Korea is what it is because of US invasion and bombing).  https://medium.com/@maxine_builder/the-real-problem-with-the-interview-is-its-racism-not-its-satire-4d0cd30d5f0d

• Reply 53 of 138
    ?The Interview is racist, and in very poor taste.  Don't defend propaganda that is so ugly, flippant and shameful (for having no sensitivity to the fact that North Korea is what it is because of US invasion and bombing).  https://medium.com/@maxine_builder/the-real-problem-with-the-interview-is-its-racism-not-its-satire-4d0cd30d5f0d

Heck and Robin Hood movies are so mean to the Normans! Get a life, it's a freaking comedy! Give my regards to Kim.

Edit: toned it down!
  • Reply 54 of 138

North Korea is what it is because of US invasion and bombing). 

Yeah, they’re a communist dictatorship operating under a self-contradictory juche system that has systematically oppressed the rights of its citizens and starved them into near extinction because the US tried to… prevent that from happening.

Uh huh. I’m sure.

• Reply 55 of 138
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

What a BS article. I just love how the author writes, "This portrayal of Asian women, as little more than submissive and sexy, is as old as Asian stereotypes come, recalling concubines of days past." when one of the main characters is a very strong and smart North Korean woman who commands every other soldier we see is somehow "little more than submissive" and "recalls concubines of days past."

Then you have Seth Rogen and this character falling for each other, which is something I wouldn't expect racists to do.
  • Reply 56 of 138

What could go wrong when people offer up secret evidence?  Nothing bad has ever happened...

• Reply 57 of 138
    solipsismy wrote: »
    What a BS article. I just love how the author writes, "This portrayal of Asian women, as little more than submissive and sexy, is as old as Asian stereotypes come, recalling concubines of days past." when one of the main characters is a very strong and smart North Korean woman who commands every other soldier we see is somehow "little more than submissive" and "recalls concubines of days past."

Then you have Seth Rogen and this character falling for each other, which is something I wouldn't expect racists to do.

So, worth watching?
  • Reply 58 of 138
    So, worth watching?

If you like to sit around stoned and watch movies you might get some laughs out of it. I was sober and I'm not sure I had a single, literal 'LOL' moment but I wouldn't say it's a bad film and I didn't hate it. It was exactly what I expected from Seth Rogen and James Franco. I liked The Interview better than Pineapple Express but less than This Is The End.
  • Reply 59 of 138
    solipsismy wrote: »
    If you like to sit around stoned and watch movies you might get some laughs out of it. I was sober and I'm not sure I had a single, literal 'LOL' moment but I wouldn't say it's a bad film and I didn't hate it. It was exactly what I expected from Seth Rogen and James Franco. I liked The Interview better than Pineapple Express but less than This Is The End.

Thanks for that, I trust your judgment, I think I'll pass. I certainly am not buying into the 'to patriotic you must watch this' crap.

I watched Maleficent tonight and loved it so I obviously have very simple tastes. :D

Last couple of nights watched the new Pierce Brosnan and Denzel Washington movies ... both very entertaining IMHO.
  • Reply 60 of 138
    Thanks for that, I trust your judgment, I think I'll pass.

You definitely won't be on your death bed thinking, "I wish I would have watched the The Interview."
    Last couple of nights watched the new Pierce Brosnan and Denzel Washington movies ... both very entertaining IMHO.

Which ones are those?