Bank of America promotes iPhone 6 in new TV ads for Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
Apple's blockbuster sales of iPhone 6 are continuing to benefit from Apple Pay commercials produced by banks, merchants and card processors. The latest spot from Bank of America calls Apple Pay "the new, easy, secure, smart way to pay with a simple touch."

Apple Pay

"Before she bought something for her husband... something for Buster... and a little something for herself, Nancy grabbed her iPhone 6 so she could pay with her Bank of America card using Apple Pay," the spot's voiceover states.

"The new, easy, secure, smart way to pay with a simple touch. That's the convenience of innovative connections. That's Bank of America."

The spot follows a series of television, newspaper, billboard, email and online ads by Chase, Citibank, Wells Fargo, Mastercard, promoting Apple's Touch ID fingerprint-secured, NFC point of payment service, which launched exclusive to iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

This spring, Apple Watch will also enable iPhone 5, 5c and 5s users to make in store Apple Pay purchases after pairing their phone to the wrist-worn new device.

Massive free inter-promotion has yet to go global, competitors already terrified

The combination super-launch of Apple Watch, Apple Pay and iPhone 6 has terrified competitors.

Last September, PayPal launched a bizarre ad campaign right out of the gate that appeared to malign Apple's security, implying that customers couldn't trust Apple Pay.

More recently however, PayPal's payment processing subsidiary Braintree has installed prominent billboards promoting its support for handling Apple Pay transactions.

Apple Pay remains officially limited to the United States, but Apple is working to expand both its listings of domestic banks and merchants as it also works to set up international partners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    You forgot to mention the the ad is based off the intro for "Get Smart".
  • Reply 2 of 75
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Great.
    In Europe bank(s) are promoting chip creditcards now that support nfc and secure payments with one wave. That seems hard to beat even for Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    knowitall wrote: »
    Great.
    In Europe bank(s) are promoting chip creditcards now that support nfc and secure payments with one wave. That seems hard to beat even for Apple.
    Chip'n wave are obviously less secure and they also have a rather restrictive upper $ limit, no?
  • Reply 5 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Great.

Apple Pay is even more secure than chip credit cards.  

In fact, the contents of the chip can be read straight from your card at a distance by hackers, allowing them to steal your ID and card.  This is why you have to get RFID shielding wallets to protect your cards from being read.

Also, since anyone can use your chip credit card after stealing it, it isn't as secure as Apply Pay which requires your fingerprint.

Once Apple Pay gets a foothold in Europe, it will take over Europe. Easily.

• Reply 6 of 75
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And people still don't understand the Beats deal.
    Beats made hundreds of millions of dollars in its first year with a $0 advertising budget.

Apple has a way of gaining billions pf dollars of advertising for free while Sammy and others have to break the bank.

Apple is the cheapskate billionaire.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Missed it by thaaat much!!
  • Reply 8 of 75
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Great.

BWAHAHAHA !!!!
  • Reply 9 of 75

That a 6 or 6 Plus she's holding?

• Reply 10 of 75
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Iiiii LOVE IT !
  • Reply 11 of 75
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

There is another add making rounds. (I don't even know who it is for, as all I see is the Apple Pay aspect ;)).

It features a Dad who is sent out to do some shopping, and assumed he'll be gone for hours. But he is so fast making all of his purchases using Apple Pay, that he returns home too quickly and walks in to discover preparations of a surprise party for him. All the guests surprised that he returned so quickly.

• Reply 12 of 75
    jameskatt2 wrote: »

Apple Pay is even more secure than chip credit cards.  

In fact, the contents of the chip can be read straight from your card at a distance by hackers, allowing them to steal your ID and card.  This is why you have to get RFID shielding wallets to protect your cards from being read.

Also, since anyone can use your chip credit card after stealing it, it isn't as secure as Apply Pay which requires your fingerprint.

Once Apple Pay gets a foothold in Europe, it will take over Europe. Easily.

I know all that of-course (at least I heard the rumors about unsecure content).
    But that isn't the point.
    The point is that it might be good enough and even more easy to use than AP.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    cali wrote: »
    BWAHAHAHA !!!!

How old are you?
  • Reply 14 of 75
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    How old are you?

Well it is funny that you'd say a system is hard for Apple to beat when they handedly, and inarguably, beat it in security earlier this year when they introduced ?Pay.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Now Apple and the banks need to get more merchants to support NFC. I was running errands today and not one merchant I shopped at supported NFC. ?Pay is fantastic when you can use it.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

@knowitall

Sure, good enough to allow others to steal data direct from your card.

All the crooks will have a great time at your expense.

What do I know I am not know it all.

Seeing a joke is not easy and it sure takes a matured person to see it.

• Reply 17 of 75
    rogifan wrote: »
    Now Apple and the banks need to get more merchants to support NFC.

...and THAT'S who are part of the advertising campaigns' target audience... No merchant wants to be left out when Nancy goes on her next shopping spree.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Great.

I thought they were intelligent, obviously they don't understand how easy it is for chip credit cards to be hacked and that the merchant can store all your personal data purchase history and profile you. The reason I use apple pay is to make anonymous and hack free payments when available. I do not want my identity stolen. It happened to me once and believe me when I say, you really do not want to go thru the process of fixing your credit

• Reply 19 of 75
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

Why does this feel like a pre-Christmas commercial? Was it late to air?

• Reply 20 of 75
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Why does this feel like a pre-Christmas commercial? Was it late to air?

This commercial has been playing on TV for a while. It's been on Bank of America's Youtube channel since December 15th.

I think AI was just hunting for something to post on the weekend.

:D