Sony Rolls Out New Palms

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.brighthand.com/newsite/palm/sony_nr_page1.html"; target="_blank">Read it all Here</a>

I must say they are quite impressive and feature packed. They're way out of what I'd pay for a PDA ($600 and $500), but they are still cool.

Obviously, they aren't half as good as a Newton MP2100, right Fran?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    :eek: Sony rolls out Palms? I didn't know they bought them out!

• Reply 2 of 7
    Only problem is that they don't have one of the new StrongARM enabled chips, and aren't going to run Palm OS 5, which is when the Palm OS might actually start to be respectable. It has a keyboard, a virtual graffiti area... if it offered the ability to pivot the screen like the Newton, and maybe offered some handwriting recognition, I'd be happy

I'd buy one if it would run Palm OS 5 though...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apparently, the future of Palm and Handspring isn't looking that great. The OS itself has a lot of supporters, but those two companies may find themselves struggling to find a market in the next few years. Mobile phone makers licencing the Palm OS will squeeze them from one end, and a possibly superior .net integration of services and internet connectivity from M$ might squeeze them on the other.

I dunno. Supposedly PalmOS5 is in developers and licencees hands (or most of it is) right now anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Psssh. I'd never think about buying a poorly engineered waste of space like that. I want a thin, small PDA that acts like a notepad. I don't care about cameras and MP3's and such. I'd say that most people just want a digital notepad. (The ability to write on the entire screen and have Newton 2100 style recognition is also key).

Fortunately, some friend of mine and I may be developing our own Palm Based PDA next fall.

It's all dependent or whether we can secure the super-special displays we need.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    That sony NR70 is pretty thin. Last I checked it was about as thin as the Palm m515. Plus it has a real keyboard for those who prefer it, or you can rotate the screen to cover the keyboard entirely and allow it to act like a notepad. Camera is only on the high end model, and it takes little effort to add MP3 capability to the thing.

It's a great PDA, only thing limiting it is the Palm OS.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]But beyond the rotating screen there also a number of other exciting features regarding the new Clies, including use of the Motorola Dragonball Super VZ processor at 66MHz--a first; a high resolution 320x480 pixel screen--also a first; and the ability to use these new Clies as universal remote controllers for your TV, VCR, DVD player, and stereo--a carryover from the more recent Clies.

<hr></blockquote>

Wow. This is one impressive remote control.

I'll have to check one out in person before I can give my opinion about it, but look how long it took for the Palm to transition over to the StrongArm that the Newton had 6 years ago!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Isn't this Current Hardware now??