Purported 'iPad Pro' render hints at additional speakers on Apple's rumored 12" tablet

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2015
A new picture claims to show part of the schematic for a so-called "iPad Pro, complete with a speaker grille space at the top of the device next to the lock button, suggesting Apple's larger tablet could include a more powerful speaker array.

The image, said to be captured from a Foxconn factory, was spotlighted on Sunday by Nowhereelse.fr. The report states that a person claiming to be a Foxconn factory worker captured the image, which represents an alleged 3D rendering of the anticipated device.

The image appears to show the upper right corner of the alleged device, with a new speaker grille located to the side of the lock button and above the rear camera. If legitimate, it could mean that the jumbo-sized iPad would allow users to hear stereo sound from the device regardless of whether it is used in portrait or landscape orientation.

The report said that the new, larger iPad is expected to be between 6.9 and 7.5 millimeters thick, with a screen size between 12.2 and 12.9 inches. Apple's existing iPad lineup includes the smaller 9.7-inch iPad Air and the 7.9-inch iPad mini, both of which feature speakers only on the bottom of the device.

Whether or not it's a real render leak, the new picture does align with earlier rumors claiming that the "iPad Pro" will sport extra speakers, along with a thinner form factor and larger display size above 12 inches.

Apple faces a number of challenges in delivering on a so-called "iPad Pro," according to Ming-Chi Kuo -- a well-connected analyst who has similarly claimed knowledge of the product under development. In addition to executing on the hardware end, he says Apple is also tasked with crafting and secretly evaluating a completely new flavor of iOS designed to take advantage of the device's much larger display real estate.

In a report on the "iPad Pro" back in February, Kuo accurately predicted that the iPad mini family of products would show signs of neglect this year as the company had prioritized its iPad teams on completing an all new iPad Air 2 for late 2014 and what he called a "12.9-inch iPad Pro" for 2015.

Kuo more recently said he expects the "iPad Pro" to debut in the second quarter of 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Ming-Chi Kuo = Well Connected? hmmmm

he had a 30% accuracy rate last year.. you do know that?

Or do you just not care?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If this is just an Air 2 with a bigger screen I don't see what the point is. For a larger screen iPad to work it needs better software and digitizer support, IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    It's still two speakers..just placed on opposite sides..which is how stereo speakers should be..
  • Reply 4 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If this is just an Air 2 with a bigger screen I don't see what the point is. For a larger screen iPad to work it needs better software and digitizer support, IMO.

I was hoping that a larger iPad would have OS XI (sic) on it, but who knows.

• Reply 5 of 43
    noelosnoelos Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Where does that statistic come from?

It would be interesting to see a list analysts and their hit rates. Of course, what constitutes an interesting enough prediction to rate might be tough; predicting a new iPhone each would be ignorable, but predicting 2 new sizes and/or getting the new sizes right would be much more significant.

• Reply 6 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    adrayven wrote: »

Or do you just not care?

More lke a 60% rate on major items, possibly higher. He doesn't always get all the details right, as they change, but otherwise he seems pretty well connected.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Or do you just not care?

AI does not care about analyst accuracy. They will post anything in pursuit of their worship of the Almighty Pageview.

• Reply 8 of 43
    They should bring four speakers to the iPad and iPad mini as well.

And fix some bugs. Someone needs to whirlwind through the iOS department and sack the B and C players. Then put the fear of God into the rest.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    I was tired of iPads but it just struck me that the iPad Pro may be yet another game-changer for Apple. This will be especially so if it can drive a second monitor successfully. A lot of people will not need laptops in that case. The iPad Pro plus a second monitor plus a wireless keyboard and mouse and you're good to go (unless you're into heavy gaming, video editing, etc.)
  • Reply 10 of 43
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    My fatious meter is not going off but with all those goodies, just buy a MacBook Air and call it day.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    It's still two speakers..just placed on opposite sides..which is how stereo speakers should be..

And what happens when you adjust the orientataion? I'd think you could use four speakers on two sides to resolve this issue, assuming you can find a way to have auto for left and right switch in a way that isn't jarring.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

And what happens when you adjust the orientataion? I'd think you could use four speakers on two sides to resolve this issue, assuming you can find a way to have auto for left and right switch in a way that isn't jarring.

Why not just put one speaker on the top and one on the bottom? You know, the short ends.

That way it’s stereo in landscape, where it matters. Flip it upside down and the L and R channels switch. Whatever.

• Reply 13 of 43
    They should bring four speakers to the iPad and iPad mini as well.

And fix some bugs. Someone needs to whirlwind through the iOS department and sack the B and C players. Then put the fear of God into the rest.
    Pretty sure this is going to be like the iPad mini was to the full, exclusive(2 speakers) for a year then same on rest the next, might not even be a year this time, if this is debuted around March a regular/mini upgrade to tie with it could be October/November.
    globalpix wrote: »
    I was tired of iPads but it just struck me that the iPad Pro may be yet another game-changer for Apple. This will be especially so if it can drive a second monitor successfully. A lot of people will not need laptops in that case. The iPad Pro plus a second monitor plus a wireless keyboard and mouse and you're good to go (unless you're into heavy gaming, video editing, etc.)

kkerst wrote: »
    My fatious meter is not going off but with all those goodies, just buy a MacBook Air and call it day.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    globalpix wrote: »
    You are kidding or trolling, right? You have a ridiculous concept of how mobile devices should be designed. Apple knows how to design devices without your asinine ideas.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Why not just put one speaker on the top and one on the bottom? You know, the short ends.

That way it’s stereo in landscape, where it matters. Flip it upside down and the L and R channels switch. Whatever.

I think it matters in any orientation. I guess you could do a 180° with it so you don't block the sound with your hands either too low or too high, but that may not be ideal. In portrait mode you then get both speakers on one side, the left or right, because it can't go in the middle because that's where the Lightning port goes, and I don't they'll alter that. Putting four would allow for that option. Plus, with a 12" iPad I could see portrait viewing of videos with another apps on screen above or below, or looking at text whilst listing to music, which would require the speakers being on both the left and right side in portrait.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Plus, with a 12" iPad I could see portrait viewing of videos with another apps on screen above or below, or looking at text whilst listing to music, which would require the speakers being on both the left and right side in portrait.

You expect a convincing stereo soundfield with transducers less than a foot apart?  I mean, what's your viewing distance?

Even if this was more about not blocking the bottom speakers in portrait mode... I usually just invert mine...

Edited for regrettable syntax.

• Reply 17 of 43
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Yeah, I don't get this at all.

We have been over this same ground ever since the original iPhone debuted in 2007, followed by the iPad: stereo speakers, blah blah blah.

Stereo audio is important for the headphone circuitry as well as line out audio output, but it is unimportant for normal handheld usage of the devices at normal distances. 

• Reply 18 of 43
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    You expect a convincing stereo soundfield with transducers less than a foot apart?  I mean, what's your viewing distance?

Convincing, no, but stereo does exist on the iPad and doing a 180° flip does seem un-Apple-like, even if it only takes a second. I can definitely see how this rumour on a 12" iPad could be valid.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    I am definitely doubtful of its ability to run OS X as well as iOS. My current MacBook has already has so many problems, I have had to go to detoxmymac.org to speed it up again! If Steve Jobs was around, I wouldn't doubt that this device would be able to support both OS X and iOS; it seems Apple has caused more problems with recent forced updates and whatnot... at least for myself.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    wurm5150 wrote: »

I only see one speaker grill.

mpantone wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get this at all.

We have been over this same ground ever since the original iPhone debuted in 2007, followed by the iPad: stereo speakers, blah blah blah.

Stereo audio is important for the headphone circuitry as well as line out audio output, but it is unimportant for normal handheld usage of the devices at normal distances. 

I agree, it would be more of a spec sheet tick off kind of thing, than a better experience. Although I am surprised by the audio from my iPhone. Loudness, but without bass, which is to be expected.