Despite lawsuit, Apple's iOS 8 storage is actually far more efficient than Google's Android, Samsung

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    Note
    1) they are suing apple because they have an Apple device, they cannot sue someone unless the entity has caused you a loss. If they win all then Samsung, Microsoft etc will also have amend their advertising.

2)You can use sd cards with the latest version of Android , but may have reload or update your apps

3)you can use sd cards with Surface

4) if you but the wrong size Iphone you have to buy a new one

5) are you reviewers required to check their facts?

6) do you encourage half truths?
  • Reply 42 of 137
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Companies need to realise that:

1) Many consumers and stupid

2) Some smarter consumers will pretend to be stupid if they think they can make money.

That aside, it might be good for Apple to lose this case. That will force all manufacturers to list available free space. Unless they are running pure or near pure Android, Android manufacturers (especially Samsung) will need to add more storage to make similar claims as Apple.

• Reply 43 of 137
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r1sko View Post

Can someone please sue every automaker for selling 5-passenger cars that can only fit 4 passengers. The 1st person is a driver....

Wow, you have a personal driver that takes you to your destinations (whom is merely dead weight otherwise)?!

• Reply 44 of 137
    I think this is far simpler. There is a growing anti-apple trend. Why. Simple. Competitors recognised long ago that try were going to struggle to compete without getting too close to pattents. So they took the only way they knew how. First copy as close as you can, then counter sue when apple shows what they have done and finally use a smear campaign to bring up false flaws. Point in case bend gate. If you are stupid enough to put your phone in your back pocket and sit down quickly then I think you are too stupid to use one in the first place it you think that won't damage ANY phone or at least hurt. Secondly I think there are a lot of IT 'consultants' beginning to realise that the rest of use have woken up to the fact that a lot of what they do can be handled autatically if you use good software and hardware. And the final set of neigh Sayers I do feel a bit sorry for as they probably cannot afford apple products. However I would remind everyone you get what you pay for. If you get something 'free' on contract the it is unlikely to be as good or upto date as something you have to pay towards. Or alternatively it's been ripped off. Yes Samsung we are looking at you!
  • Reply 45 of 137
    mpantone wrote: »
    No, it is not, which is why you can't drive in the carpool lane with a corpse, skeleton, ashes from the crematorium, whatever. Also, pets aren't passengers to the DMV. Your Golden Retriever or parakeet will not allow you to drive in the carpool lane either.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">A dead body is an object. It won't show up on the passenger manifest on a commercial airline flight, it's cargo.</span>

Nice try though.

You've clearly put way too much thought into this matter.
  • Reply 46 of 137

Sure, all those lawsuits become boring and most of them are definitely unecessary. But with this one, I'm not so sure. It should have come as a general complaint by a more official group thogh.

If only 13 out of 16GB are available, then it should be mentioned somewhere. Market it as a 16GB model, but put it somewhere in the fineprint. Not just Apple, but all device makers.

And I second one of the earlier comments: to take a lawsuit to make a point like "we are bad, but look, the other guys are even worse" kinda paints a negative picture - even though Daniel tries to make Apple look shiney again.

To sum up: does it need a lawsuit? I don't think so. Should Apple step up (once again) and be first out of the competition and show more transparency: YES!

• Reply 47 of 137
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Wow, that first AI thread is over a decade old. [@]Eugene[/@], the first person to reply, makes a good statement, but I'm saddened to see that even over a decade later people that I'd think are in-the-know still don't the different between 1000 and 1024. We need more Eugenes.

Except (and this really happened), Windows 8.1 says I need an "8GB" USB drive to create a bootable rescue partition. I bought an 8GB USB memory stick. Nowhere on the packaging does the USB stick (Patriot branded) specify what a GB is, but 8GB is what Windows 8.1 says I have to get. I plug it in, and Windows says it's not big enough. Windows shows the USB stick's unformatted drive capacity as less than 8GB, something like 7.3GB. So why can't the OS and hardware manufacturers stop dicking around and agree on what GB means? Guess I should have assumed that fleecing the consumer is the goal of all storage drive makers. But here's something really weird: I have an older Patroit USB memory stick from the Snow Leopard days, labeled as 8GB, and it shows up as 8GB capacity in the OS drive utility. It's makes as much sense as car makers and fueling stations having two different measurements for the term "gallon" (or "liter"). How does that serve the consumer?
  • Reply 48 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Except (and this really happened), Windows 8.1 says I need an "8GB" USB drive to create a bootable rescue partition. I bought an 8GB USB memory stick. Nowhere on the packaging does the USB stick (Patriot branded) specify what a GB is, but 8GB is what Windows 8.1 says I have to get. I plug it in, and Windows says it's not big enough. Windows shows the USB stick's unformatted drive capacity as less than 8GB, something like 7.3GB. So why can't the OS and hardware manufacturers stop dicking around and agree on what GB means? Guess I should have assumed that fleecing the consumer is the goal of all storage drive makers. But here's something really weird: I have an older Patroit USB memory stick from the Snow Leopard days, labeled as 8GB, and it shows up as 8GB capacity in the OS drive utility. It's makes as much sense as car makers and fueling stations having two different measurements for the term "gallon" (or "liter"). How does that serve the consumer?

Actually, the error is with software vendors and has been for a few decades. Kilo, mega, giga, etc. are part of the SI metric system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix). That is why in recent years a new convention was developed for binary data (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix).

In your case the problem with mismatched storage capacities comes from using different metrics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Inconsistent_use_of_units).

• Reply 49 of 137
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Both pro, and con.

This would be a risky post from a pro con man.
  • Reply 50 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If DED needed to write a story this weekend he should have wrote it about the duplicitous media outlets that tried to pass off a 6 month old smartphone customer satisfaction survey as current. It started with BGR but spread to other sites like Engadget and Business Insider. In fact Engadget wondered if the larger iPhones and 'bendgate' contributed to Apple's ratings drop. Yet based on the release date of the survey iPhone 6 wasn't even included. None of these articles referenced the date of the survey so when I first saw it I assumed it was recent. It wasn't until I saw an article from Phillip Elmer Dewitt calling out BGR that I researched further and found out the survey was released in May 2014.
  • Reply 51 of 137
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Apple's financial success is also almost irresistible bait for law firms with nothing to do, which is perhaps what we here. Today, there are far more lawyers around than work for lawyers to do.

These stories and lawsuit are nonsense. I just picked up a used iPhone 5 with the lowest available storage, 16 GB. Even with every app that interests me installed, if still had almost 8 GB free.

Courts need to get more aggressive at requiring law firms who file frivolous lawsuits to pay the other side's legal costs. Quite a few meritless cases get settled simply because it's easier to pay of the other side's lawyers than it is to win after a long court fight.

And if you follow the results of many of these lawsuits, the results are often structured to benefit the suing lawyers while leaving the alleged victims in the lurch.

Back when a law firm sued and won against Apple because early versions of OS X wouldn't run well on low-end Macs despite Apple advertising, I owned two of those Macs. Yet it wasn't worth the bother of filing for that settlement. It would have taken me several hours to meet all the conditions and that would have only earned me $10 per machine. That's less than minimum wage. Meanwhile those suing lawyers were probably being paid off by Apple at about $400 per hours.
  • Reply 52 of 137
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    This would be a risky post from a pro con man.

I guess you missed when I've been pro pro.
  • Reply 53 of 137

I agree with the general talk point of this article.

However, If you are going to compare an Apple iPad, the least you could do was compare it to a Windows tablet like Surface 2. It's not fair to compare a tablet with a full computer.

Surface 2 64gb leaves about 47gb to user. For less money than an ipad 16gb this isn't bad!!!

Surface 2 32gb leaves about 16gb to user. HELLO, not bad at all.

Less money, more memory.

• Reply 55 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    scottyltd wrote: »
    I agree with the general talk point of this article.
    However, If you are going to compare an Apple iPad, the least you could do was compare it to a Windows tablet like Surface 2. It's not fair to compare a tablet with a full computer.
    Surface 2 64gb leaves about 47gb to user. For less money than an ipad 16gb this isn't bad!!!

Surface 2 32gb leaves about 16gb to user. HELLO, not bad at all.
    Less money, more memory.

Frick me, the OS uses ? 16GB? Wow. Just wow. Way to go Microsoft¡
  • Reply 56 of 137
    (Removed)
  • Reply 57 of 137
    capasicum wrote: »

Actually, the error is with software vendors and has been for a few decades. Kilo, mega, giga, etc. are part of the SI metric system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix). That is why in recent years a new convention was developed for binary data (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix).

In your case the problem with mismatched storage capacities comes from using different metrics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Inconsistent_use_of_units).

Damn the metric system.
  • Reply 58 of 137
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

If you're the first commenter, yes, it will be assumed that you are commenting on the original post. After that, all bets are off.

Clearly, you have never posted on Usenet.

AppleInsider's forum software is rather Neanderthal and doesn't support true threaded conversations, well, not in a graceful, intuitive way.

Actually, I like the AI message board design (or Ars Technica's) a lot whole lot better than the UI disasters that are threaded user forums. Disqus style comment boards are only about 4 or 5 indents deep, so you're left at the same spot anyways. Many of those comment boards are designed for what, a 640 pixel wide display, that are surrounded by ads and crap. Especially these sites who continually harp on design and user experience, yet their comment forums are UI disasters.

For the AI forums, users can just quote. If not, they hopefully learn. Long back and forth discussions typically quote, so you can ignore or reply in those if wanted.

• Reply 59 of 137
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Damn the metric system.

Nothing wrong with the metric system. It's just being inconsistency that creates all sorts of problems.

"I love standards: there are so many to choose from".
  • Reply 60 of 137
    xasxxasx Posts: 1member

All the other brands also allow you to add extra storage, so their customers do not get pissed off then their leftover 12gb gets filled up and they have to delete every app and photo just to run an update.