Despite lawsuit, Apple's iOS 8 storage is actually far more efficient than Google's Android, Samsung

12467

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 137
    thttht Posts: 4,618member

    Can't see how this lawsuit can possibly move forward. Apple undoubtedly has small print that covers themselves regarding actual user storage space being smaller (due to filesystems and system software blah blah blah) while the marketed storage size is absolutely true, and they've also covered themselves in the small print regarding decimal or binary storage sizes.

     

    Storage size marketing or advertising has been this way for the better part of 4 decades or whatever it is. Hard to believe a legal precedent would be set today, while "free user space" is a subjective and moving target through time that no company really would make an advertised item, after all this time.

  • Reply 62 of 137
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I worked in retail for many of years. I had a theory that anyone walking into the store would be automatically deemed an idiot, until evidence of intelligent life is found.

    This "fiasco" falls in the same realm. If people can honestly believe they will get 100% of anything is ridiculous. With computers this has been an issues for as long as I can remember. Your phone is a computer, there is no difference. The OS takes up space. your the idiot that bought a 16gb, don't blame the company. wether it be APPLE, GOOGLE, MS or anyone else.

    it's for these reason I buy the highest end model. cause I know shit takes up space, and I like to save my pix. hell I even have the 20gb iCloud Drive, 5gb Google Drive, iTunes Match, and my own 4TB home based Cloud storage.

    This also applies to every thumb drive ever sold.
  • Reply 63 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,467member
    tht wrote: »
    Can't see how this lawsuit can possibly move forward. Apple undoubtedly has small print that covers themselves regarding actual user storage space being smaller (due to filesystems and system software blah blah blah) while the marketed storage size is absolutely true, and they've also covered themselves in the small print regarding decimal or binary storage sizes.

    Storage size marketing or advertising has been this way for the better part of 4 decades or whatever it is. Hard to believe a legal precedent would be set today, while "free user space" is a subjective and moving target through time that no company really would make an advertised item, after all this time.
    I thought the lawsuit was over the undisclosed extra (and significant) headroom needed when users upgraded from iOS7 to iOS8?
  • Reply 64 of 137
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

    Another frivolous lawsuit that makes a mockery of our justice system.

  • Reply 65 of 137
    If iPhone had SD card, security still won't be an issue. You can save private files on the phone for security and non-sensitive files (music, movies, etc.) on the SD card. This is already the case with Android phones. You can even encrypt SD card on Samsung plus use Knox. Don't be stubborn Apple. You gave us bigger screens and it worked for everyone. Why not give us removable storage also.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post



    Exactly. It may be far fetched but I'd like to think this lawsuit is a shrewd undercover marketing ploy from Apple. A suit like this will indeed shine a favourable light on Apple eventually in which case Apple stands to benefit. As such this ridiculously stupid lawsuit may one day be heralded as marketing genius. image

     

    Hell no! Beyond wasting money for the litigants and courts, frivilous lawsuits delay justice for other litigants that have legitimate claims. Suing or sponsoring a lawsuit against oneself as a marketing strategy is so unethical the government wouldn't even do that.
  • Reply 67 of 137
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,924member
    rogifan wrote: »
    If DED needed to write a story this weekend he should have wrote it about the duplicitous media outlets that tried to pass off a 6 month old smartphone customer satisfaction survey as current. It started with BGR but spread to other sites like Engadget and Business Insider. In fact Engadget wondered if the larger iPhones and 'bendgate' contributed to Apple's ratings drop. Yet based on the release date of the survey iPhone 6 wasn't even included. None of these articles referenced the date of the survey so when I first saw it I assumed it was recent. It wasn't until I saw an article from Phillip Elmer Dewitt calling out BGR that I researched further and found out the survey was released in May 2014.

    The Macalope already took them to task.
  • Reply 68 of 137
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jungmark wrote: »
    The Macalope already took them to task.

    What are the best guesses regarding the true identity of the Macalope? Andy Ihnatko? I doubt it's John Gruber.
  • Reply 69 of 137
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,924member
    What are the best guesses regarding the true identity of the Macalope? Andy Ihnatko? I doubt it's John Gruber.

    I always thought it was Jason Snell but he's no longer with MW. Perhaps Chris breen?
  • Reply 70 of 137
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,712member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paxman View Post







    Exactly. It may be far fetched but I'd like to think this lawsuit is a shrewd undercover marketing ploy from Apple. A suit like this will indeed shine a favourable light on Apple eventually in which case Apple stands to benefit. As such this ridiculously stupid lawsuit may one day be heralded as marketing genius. image

     


    Hell no! Beyond wasting money for the litigants and courts, frivilous lawsuits delay justice for other litigants that have legitimate claims. Suing or sponsoring a lawsuit against oneself as a marketing strategy is so unethical the government wouldn't even do that.

    He he, but it is an interesting idea. Marketing and ethics is also a very interesting subject and I suspect it is more a matter of evaluating the potential blowback than a matter of ethics in most cases.

     

    And do you really believe that a frivolous lawsuit is the point at which the (any) government says 'STOP! We are now crossing the ethical boundary!'? I'd say you are very naive if you really think that.

  • Reply 71 of 137
    So an OS can add new features but they can't take up more space¡¿¡

    What a world we live in smh
  • Reply 72 of 137
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Guess I should have assumed that fleecing the consumer is the goal of all storage drive makers.

    I don't see them at fault here. An 8GB drive will come with slightly over 8 billion bytes. It's the SW vendors that choose to mix up the terminology. You can see from the link below that they were first built and advertised with proper decimal notation. That's why I say that the real issue was the OS ever stating anything but decimal notation to the end user.
    But here's something really weird: I have an older Patroit USB memory stick from the Snow Leopard days, labeled as 8GB, and it shows up as 8GB capacity in the OS drive utility. It's makes as much sense as car makers and fueling stations having two different measurements for the term "gallon" (or "liter"). How does that serve the consumer?

    Check in Disk Utility for the capacity of your drive in bytes. Your xGB drive will have x billion bytes. When Apple made the switch in 10.6 Disk Utility would still show binary values. I don't think they changed up until Mavericks or Yosemite to show decimal values
  • Reply 73 of 137

    Quote:


    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    I always thought it was Jason Snell but he's no longer with MW. Perhaps Chris breen?



    Doubtful it's Breen. They did a podcast together once so unless Chris heavily edited his voice to disguise himself it's most likely not him.

  • Reply 74 of 137
    Quote:


    Doubtful it's Breen. They did a podcast together once so unless Chris heavily edited his voice to disguise himself it's most likely not him.

    I didn't know the Macalope's voice had been captured in the wild. ???? Did it sound like Ihnatko doing an impression?
  • Reply 75 of 137
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

    DED can also point out an empty 16GB flash drive does not come with 16GB available to user.  

  • Reply 76 of 137
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    DED can also point out an empty 16GB flash drive does not come with 16GB available to user.

    Sure it does.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    If DED needed to write a story this weekend he should have wrote it about the duplicitous media outlets that tried to pass off a 6 month old smartphone customer satisfaction survey as current. It started with BGR but spread to other sites like Engadget and Business Insider. In fact Engadget wondered if the larger iPhones and 'bendgate' contributed to Apple's ratings drop. Yet based on the release date of the survey iPhone 6 wasn't even included. None of these articles referenced the date of the survey so when I first saw it I assumed it was recent. It wasn't until I saw an article from Phillip Elmer Dewitt calling out BGR that I researched further and found out the survey was released in May 2014.



    The Macalope broke this story last week already.

  • Reply 78 of 137
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    What are the best guesses regarding the true identity of the Macalope? Andy Ihnatko? I doubt it's John Gruber.



    no it's someone with a really great sense of humor. which no pundit i know of has.

  • Reply 79 of 137
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,595member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Really Mr. Dilger, we don’t need your editorial about this matter. It’s stupid enough as it is. Trying to spin it pro-Apple isn’t necessary. People of reasonable intelligence are already amused by the ignorance of the lawsuit. 

    Actually, to overcome stupidity and ignorance one actually needs knowledge. Most of us here actually appreciate DED's presentation of the facts. For instance, news to me is that Google has dropped support for SD cards, and the cons of using them with other versions of android which make up the overwhelming number of their devices still being sold. A critically important point when discussing future purchases with friends or family that might be considering buying one.
  • Reply 80 of 137
    freerange wrote: »
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Really Mr. Dilger, we don’t need your editorial about this matter. It’s stupid enough as it is. Trying to spin it pro-Apple isn’t necessary. People of reasonable intelligence are already amused by the ignorance of the lawsuit. 

    Actually, to overcome stupidity and ignorance one actually needs knowledge. Most of us here actually appreciate DED's presentation of the facts. For instance, news to me is that Google has dropped support for SD cards, and the cons of using them with other versions of android which make up the overwhelming number of their devices still being sold. A critically important point when discussing future purchases with friends or family that might be considering buying one.
    Has Google dropped support for SD cards? Has anyone told Google yet?
Sign In or Register to comment.