First Apple Watch advertising platform announced by TapSense [u]

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2015
With the release of the Apple Watch around the corner, one advertising platform aims to be the first to provide mobile ads to users' wrists, unveiling a platform with hyper-local targeting and Apple Pay integration.

[Update: TapSense has clarified its announcement to note that it will not be able to integrate with Apple Pay, won't be able to inject ads into watch faces, and that under Apple's development guidelines it potentially won't be allowed to push ads to the watch at all.]

TapSense mobile ad exchange announced this week the debut of the first programmatic ad platform for Apple Watch. Its software development kit includes tools for app developers, brands, agencies, and marketers.

A key feature of TapSense's platform is hyper-local targeting, which the company believes is a natural fit for wrist-based ads. Leveraging the GPS of a connected iPhone, TapSense's Apple Watch ads will deliver contextual local offers such as coupons from a retail store.

In addition, TapSense is also pushing Apple Pay integration, allowing users to redeem coupons and other offers directly from their wrist.
TapSense views the Apple Watch as an ideal way to deliver hyper-local ads to wearers.
"Wearables and Internet of Things (IoT) are the next frontiers in the mobile revolution. We are excited to announce industry's first programmatic ad platform for Apple Watch developers and brands," said Ash Kumar, co-founder and CEO of TapSense. "While most of our competitors are focused on banner ads and legacy platforms, we are focused on innovation and next generation platforms. Apple Watch has the potential to be a category disruptor similar to iPod or iPhone and we believe that it provides great opportunities for brands and developers to deliver engaging experiences to consumers."

TapSense is also pushing interactive formats for ads that will go beyond traditional Web banners. The company claims its SDK leverages new interfaces supported by the Apple WatchKit developer tools, such as watch faces, glances, and full-screen experiences.

"For an iOS developer, Apple WatchKit provides familiar tools and APIs as well as exciting new user interactions such as Glances and Force Push. Developing an app for the watch is the same as writing any iOS extension," said Amit Manjhi, co-founder & CTO of TapSense. "We can't wait to see all the cool apps that developers build and how they leverage the TapSense platform for Apple Watch."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Suddenly, consumer interest in ? Watch fell to 11%.

• Reply 2 of 25
    Ads to a watch, gun to my face.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    How can this be Apple pay enabled when Apple specifically says that online/app support is not available on the watch.

Anyway, I don't ever intend to install any app that puts ads on my wrist if there is an ad free alternative (and I feel I absolutely can't live without it); this sounds terrible.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

How can this be Apple pay enabled when Apple specifically says that online/app support is not available on the watch.

Anyway, I don't ever intend to install any app that puts ads on my wrist if there is an ad free alternative (and I feel I absolutely can't live without it); this sounds terrible.

It is probably apps on your phone that are spamming you though the watch APIs.

• Reply 5 of 25
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not that I was going to buy one before or know anyone that plans to buy one, but the last thing I ever want is Ads on my wrist!!!  I sure as hell won't buy one now!!!

• Reply 6 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

"This is the most personal device we have ever designed" - or words to that effect. Apple views the iWatch as part smart device and part jewelry which would imply no ads. I hope Apple digs it's heels in against any type of advertising on a wearable. It would be enough for me to decide against ever buying an iWatch.

• Reply 7 of 25

Any app on my iPhone that sends ads to my watch will be immediately removed regardless of how useful it is.  I will not tolerate ads on my watch.

• Reply 8 of 25
    There are only three assurances in life.

1. Death
    2. Taxes
    3. Ads
  • Reply 9 of 25
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

There better be a way to disable that nonsense. So not interested.

• Reply 10 of 25
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

Makes you wonder if one of Apple's competitors came up with the idea, to kill the apple-watch.

• Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't blame Dynamite because some people make it into bombs, when it also is used to mine iron ore for your cars,toasters, bridges, re-bar, etc.   

The watch is fine... but we need another classification for Apps (I freudianly typed 'ass' first) in the Appstore as 'Adware' and a rule in search/rules.

There is a fine line between 'app aware' ads (I'm in the mall, and I spent the day searching for 'chocolate' and all of a sudden I get a 'BOGO Free at the Godiva Store 50 feet in front of you'), and Spamware. ("All your eyeballs belong to us")

Personally, I want my 'ecosystem' to search all the ads for me, and give me a map of things that I may find as a deal.   The question always is, do I trust the 'back end' not to abuse this metadata.  (where are you, what are you searching, etc.)   A nice anonymized client-server app would work just fine that pays not on impression (the biggest issue with spamware... eyeballs are monetized), but on execution ('a qualified buyer').  Example: A broker registers my wants, sends a anonymous query into 'deals', send me a deal with a apple payish token, If I use it, the ad publisher pays the broker.

I certainly don't want to pull up a vibrating phone to view these, if I have a watch to review/ignore.

• Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

It's an App API, so don't buy any apps with it built in.

and my guess, iOS will have a notifications rule to 'send notifications from this app to your Watch (or carPlay.... I see the same sort of thing for cars... Get a 'gas pricing app' and have it display (and in a perfect world, when my tank is < 25% full) "cheapest gas along your route/area in the next 100 miles is at XXX in 20 miles"

• Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

There are only three assurances in life.

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Ads

1) welcome to reality

2) welcome to political reality

3) welcome to Capitalism.

At least you can opt out of 2 and 3;-)

• Reply 14 of 25
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Oh, there will be - you'll pay for the app functionality up front, or do without.

This is a horrible prospect. I do hope that the app store makes it very clear what apps are supported by ads like this. Apple recently changed the "free" button to "get" so my guess is that they are going in the opposite direction.

The ad world is full of this kinda stuff: you pay for content, then still get ads. It's annoying. My local newspaper has a paywall - they want up front money - which would be fine, if I then got an ad-free version. But you don't. Yes, economic realities etc., but in that case I simply go without. I'll do the same on apple watch apps that pull this.

• Reply 15 of 25

It'll be a cold day in hell before I done a watch that advertises to me.

• Reply 16 of 25

This watch has "FAIL" written all over it. Expensive, doesn't do much of anything more than an iPhone (which you have to have with it to use many of the features), not waterproof, and now advertising. If you paid me enough, I might take one and keep it in a drawer long enough to be of interest to a museum.

• Reply 17 of 25
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member

Ads on the watch?  Please don't.  I hope Apple does not actually allow this.

• Reply 18 of 25
    The last thing I want are ads on my watch. Software developers beware. You'll get a lot of negative reviews. You might as eell out add on people's stools. That would stink less.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    ads on the watch means the wrist is the product. Apple's walled garden has the unique ability to prevent that from happening. If they restrict the watch to have zero ads under all circumstances then the apple brand watch becomes more desirable compared to android which has no ability to limit ads..
  • Reply 20 of 25
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The reporting and comments on this are hilarious. Um, last time I checked this wasn't announced by Apple but a mobile ad startup at CES looking to generate press. Mention ?Watch and boom mission accomplished. As controlling as Apple is over its platforms does anyone really think they're going to turn over ?Watch to ads? Seriously?