Intel officially unveils full Broadwell-based Intel Core CPU lineup

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2015
Chip giant Intel on Monday took the covers off if its oft-delayed fifth-generation Intel Core processor family, a revamp that includes significant efficiency improvements and is expected to sit at the heart of Apple's rumored all-new MacBook Air.

A Broadwell die shot.
A Broadwell die shot.

Based on the 14-nanometer "Broadwell" microarchitecture, Intel says that the new chips are "purpose-built for the next generation of compute devices." Manufacturers will have 10 new low-power, 15-watt models and 4 new 28-watt variants to choose from.

Thanks to the process shrink, the Broadwell designs pack 35 percent more transistors into a die area 37 percent smaller than their Haswell-based predecessors, which power Apple's current portable computer lineup. The changes are good for 24 percent better performance from the integrated graphics system and a 50 percent speed-up in video conversion, according to Intel.

The 15-watt processors will whip with Intel HD Graphics 5500 and 6000 graphics, while their larger siblings will come packaged with Intel's Iris 6100. Every chip will support 4K Ultra HD displays as well as Intel's new WiDi wireless display technology.

Intel promises that the performance improvements do not compromise Broadwell's focus on efficiency; devices running with the fifth-generation chips will see battery life increased by up to 1.5 hours over those with Haswell-based processors.

The update is of particular importance to Apple fans, as the company has been widely rumored to be waiting for Intel to ship Broadwell in order to begin production of a new, redesigned MacBook Air. That device --?which is thought to come in a thin, fanless form factor and sport a Retina display --?is rumored to begin production in the first quarter of this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I'm ready to throw $$$ so fast as Apple as soon as the 1st Broadwell MBP is out.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I think we'll finally see a major MBA change.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 15-watt processors will whip with Intel HD Graphics 5500 and 6000 graphics, while their larger siblings will come packaged with Intel's Iris 6100. Every chip will support 4K Ultra HD displays as well as Intel's new WiDi wireless display technology.

Whip it.

Whip it good.

• Reply 4 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Hoping it comes with the latest Thunderbolt spec. I can finally retire my 2009 iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    That is old hardware. Intel Skylake is due soon!
  • Reply 6 of 61
    appex wrote: »

Exactly. Spec chasers never buy what's available because better specs are coming later!
  • Reply 7 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Roll on this MBAr computer.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    appex wrote: »

Even better, the A9
  • Reply 9 of 61
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Exactly. Spec chasers never buy what's available because better specs are coming later!

Significant new MBA's are kinda overdue.  I bought a refurb 2013 i7 for less I think than a 2014 i5.  On the other hand, given their sales dominance  in the sector, and people paying less attention to specs over "user experience" these days, if Intel's told Apple that Skylake's out early 2nd quarter a chance they might wait....  ...but that may only be a very limited # of parts even if that would be Apple's inclination, so 70-30 we get Broadwell MBA's late first to early 2nd quarter....??

Note: Saw Niley Patel talking about GigaOm's evolving review standards.  They never even quote "speeds and feeds" these days in product reviews focusing exactly on "machine feel in overall use and experience."  Interesting..... ...and the Verge is headed in the same direction.

• Reply 10 of 61
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

So, apple decided to stay with Intel instead of using its own A series chips for the mac line.  I'll pass this time.

• Reply 11 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Makes sense really in this case, skylake is expected to come out in the second half of this year, meaning broadwell will have only been on the market for a few months maybe a little bit longer than half a year before the skylake processors come out.  Intel has been hyping skylake as being biggest improvement in CPU x86 designs in 10 years.

• Reply 12 of 61
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Yeah, like Broadwell was coming soon, and yet here it...isn't. Yet.

• Reply 13 of 61
    Originally Posted by ipen View Post

So, apple decided to stay with Intel instead of using its own A series chips for the mac line.  I'll pass this time.

You’ll pass on better performance and actually having a software base? 

Sounds dumb.

• Reply 14 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm ready to throw $$$ so fast as Apple as soon as the 1st Broadwell MBP is out.

But ... but ... wait for the cries ... 'never buy a first gen new Mac' ... (p.s. I often do! :D)
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Wonder when will apple refresh its macbook pro line. thinkpad x1 and t series are demoed in CES already.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You’ll pass on better performance and actually having a software base? 

Sounds dumb.

Exactly! This guy has no idea what he's talking about or guys who tout the A series. The A series is great for low power devices like phones that don't need much processing power but it can't compare to Intel chips for performance. The A series would maybe compare to a 5-6 year old Intel chip. So you if want your Mac to go back in time relative to performance then yea the A series is just what you want.

• Reply 17 of 61
    mervynyan wrote: »
    Wonder when will apple refresh its macbook pro line. thinkpad x1 and t series are demoed in CES already.

Usually Apple is behind all the other vendors if Intel has to supply Apple with a large volume of their new chips. The simple reason being Apple needs a lot more units out of the gate than other vendors who may sell more "PCs" than Apple, but not more on Day 0 for a particular $1000+ "PC".
  • Reply 18 of 61
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I actually use very little 3rd party software on my macs (i just bought the retina imac as well)

This would make a new efficient operating system based on Apple's own chips a very viable option for me since I can wait for new 3rd party software.

I picture a custom apple chipset with "metal" based graphics, a retina display, touch ID built into their glass trackpad (which I love) or seamlessly into the spacebar perhaps. 24 hour battery life would be ideal (while running full blast). Fanless cooling approach would be nice. I would also like cellular internet access like the ipad if possible along with the usual wifi. An edge to edge screen would be nice if technically feasible. Being able to run apps with a touchscreen on the laptop would be pretty awesome with ios so you have access to the ipad and iphone apps until native apps come out.

Wouldnt take long for developers to modify apps to work with a trackpad and keyboard...
  • Reply 19 of 61
    blazar wrote: »
    This would make a new efficient operating system based on Apple's own chips a very viable option for me since I can wait for new 3rd party software.

Apple has made it easy for developers to offer fat binaries in the past, and with the advent the Mac App Store the delivery system couldn't be any simpler. They could simply default to only installing Mac App Store apps and the only apps that would show up would work with Mac-like ?ARM machines. I'd still like to see an option to side-load but, like on the Mac, I'd like that option to be off by default.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Let's hope Apple can come up with a MacBook Air that makes upgrades exciting. Retina is a must, as is a power supply like the Dart:

http://finsix.com/dart/

It's ridiculous for such a light laptop to have a chunky brick for a power supply.

Also useful:

1. Keep Ethernet but offer a smaller, MagSafe-like connector.

2. More than two USB ports. It's ridiculous to have to carry another gadget just to have three.

3. Cellular data as an add-on option with data terms like that for iPads. Again why force users to carry around another gadget?

R. Either GPS built-in or a way for the MBA to get location data from an iPhone.