iOS8 build-in Photo app not sorting Events alphabetically anymore. Here's a workaround

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2015
iOS8 build-in Photo app not sorting Events alphabetically anymore. Here's a workaround for Aperture users, though I presume iPhoto works similarly:

It kinda maintains the sorting from Aperture itself. Projects with photos in them go into the 'Events on my Mac' folder. At the top, together with the default folders (Camera Roll, My Photo Stream) and the Smart Folders (Favourites, Panoramas, Videos & Slo-mo).

In the Albums view on iOS (basically the app itself), it shows, in alphabetical order, the Albums that are synched from Aperture. But if you have an Album stored in a Project (which is mandatory, an Album is merely a collection of photos from Projects) these are indeed synched alphabetically, to the Albums view in Photos for iOS.

I noticed that they are stored by Project name, so what you'll need to do is create an Album for all (or a selection from) the photos that are in a Project, match the name of the Project with the Album, and sync only the Albums to you iOS device. And if you want to store Projects in Folders, the Folder name needs to match the Project (and Album) name as this is higher in your hierarchy, and therefore sorted by that name.

What I did was select a Project with the touchpad (or mouse) and use the keyboard to do the rest:

[LIST=1]
[*] Enter (goes into edit mode)
[*] Cmd-C
[*] Tab (to get to the thumbnail view of the photos)
[*] Cmd-A
[*] Cmd-L (New Album)
[*] Cmd-V (default is on for 'move selected items to new Album)
[*] Enter
[*] Shift-Tab
[*]
[/LIST]
[repeat steps]

Connect your iDevice, select Photos on the left hand column and sync only the Albums in the Projects, not the Projects themselves. (the Albums get a checkmark, the Projects get a dash). Albums will be listed alphabetically and your Events from my Mac folder will be empty, or gone (I'm not finished yet cleaning the whole thing up).

It looks like a hassle, but it was doable on my 500 Projects. Many of which already had Albums to begin with; I already had Albums created with a selection of my favourites from each Project. Hopefully you're in the same boat.

Another thing is that search doesn't work on a project folder, which gets stored in 'Events from my Mac' folder on iOS. But it does work on Albums, so once you've done the above you can enjoy the search function.

Hope this helps some out, I'm thinking of [@]digitalclips[/@] and [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    ^^^ Wow! ^^^

What a convoluted process!

TIP: do you have a keyboard macro program like Keyboard Maestro? I personally would whip up a macro with a Ctrl-Cmd+"x" key shortcut for something like that.... if need be, with "breaks" or dialog stops. Maybe an Automator action or AppleScript would also do the trick(?)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ^^^ Wow! ^^^

What a convoluted process!

TIP: do you have a keyboard macro program like Keyboard Maestro? I personally would whip up a macro with a Ctrl-Cmd+"x" key shortcut for something like that.... if need be, with "breaks" or dialog stops. Maybe an Automator action or AppleScript would also do the trick(?)

I'm almost certain things like this can indeed be automated, but everytime I tried to do so I ended up spending more time perfecting the process than it was to simply do it by hand. Ofcourse this depends on the number of actions you'll need to perform. I'm just not too savvy with Automator...