Universal's Steve Jobs biopic adds Perla Haney-Jardine as Lisa Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
After Hollywood superstar Natalie Portman allegedly passed on the role, director Danny Boyle has reportedly settled on relatively unknown actress Perla Haney-Jardine to play Steve Jobs's once-estranged daughter Lisa in the upcoming film biopic about the mercurial former Apple CEO.

Perla Haney-Jardine and Lisa Jobs | Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Perla Haney-Jardine and Lisa Jobs | Source: The Hollywood Reporter

If true, Haney-Jardine --?most famous for her supporting roles in Kill Bill Vol. 2 and Spider-Man 3 --?would join Michael Fassbender, Seth Rogen, Kate Winslet, and Jeff Daniels on the project. Haney-Jardine's attachment was first noted by the Hollywood Reporter.

The role of Jobs's daughter is said to be among the most important in the film, with screenwriter Aaron Sorkin going so far as to call Lisa the movie's "heroine." Living up to that billing will be a tall order for Haney-Jardine in the ensemble cast, with Fassbender as Steve Jobs, Rogen playing Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, and Daniels as John Sculley, the executive that forced Jobs out of the company.

Winslet's role remains unknown. British actress Katherine Waterston is signed on to play Lisa's mother Chrisann Brennan, and it is unclear which other female parts will be cast, though powerful former Apple PR chief Katie Cotton and Jobs's wife Laurene seem likely to make the cut.

Also reported on Tuesday was the acquisition of the film's producer, the Mark Gordon Company, by Canadian entertainment conglomerate Entertainment One. The deal is unlikely to affect Jobs, as the long-troubled production appears to be headed in the right direction after months of uncertainty that saw major Hollywood players drop out and the film placed in turnaround by original studio Sony.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    As with most things in life, I prefer the original.
  • Reply 2 of 11

I'm beginning to think this movie is either never going to see the light of day, or be an absolute dud.

• Reply 3 of 11
    How weird to be Lisa, and have someone play you in a movie.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Must have been one hell of a budget cut. While I originally couldn't wait to see it, I don't care anymore, and have no desire to see it now.

• Reply 5 of 11
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGizmo View Post

I'm beginning to think this movie is either never going to see the light of day, or be an absolute dud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Must have been one hell of a budget cut. While I originally couldn't wait to see it, I don't care anymore, and have no desire to see it now.

Wait until the movie is out to judge. Were you to follow every movie's pre-production woes you'd likely be put off by many. The fact that the budget has been cut may mean nothing at all in terms of the quality of the final product. My guess is that if the initial reviews are good most of us here will see the movie one way or the other. If they are not not it'll be an in-flight, or bored weekend Netflix deal at best.

• Reply 6 of 11

No matter who stars or directs, this movie is going to be a POS.

• Reply 7 of 11
    Just wait til the main stars start to leave this production.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    huckhuck Posts: 5member

The sound mixer I work with came to the same conclusion soon after meeting up Danny Boyle back in December and being offered the gig. We both feel like the Jobs project has been slowly falling apart ever since Bale left the show. They are still aiming to start shooting at the end of this month… but I remain unconvinced. Ultimately, the mixer and I are both convinced we dodged a bullet by choosing to work on a different movie.

Originally Posted by MacGizmo View Post

• Reply 9 of 11
    wvdirkwvdirk Posts: 20member
    PhilBoogie: Indeed!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »
    As with most things in life, I prefer the original.

Well said. When this movie is a flop no doubt AAPL will go down. :no:
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I have a little inside information about the Jobs family.

It may or may not be a good film, but it will not be complimentary about Steve Jobs.