Samsung touts open 'Internet of things' push, says all products to be connected in 5 years

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, you won't have to worry because you'll refuse to buy Samsung. ????

Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

Great! Now I have to worry about my washing machine having malware or a virus. Some 14 year old kid in russia is going to put spyware in my pyjamas.

I wonder if now we will have to rent our appliances and if we don't make a payment, no coffee or no clean dishes.

Quote:

No, you won't have to worry because you'll refuse to buy Samsung. ????

But maybe I want my Dryer making Facebook updates on my missing socks

• Reply 42 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    paxman wrote: »
    There are many things we don't need but have and use anyway. In the scenario of connected appliances- the toaster lets your iWatch know when your toast is done, ditto the oven or the washing machine while your TV tells you when SoA, is ready to view. Will all these notifications enrich our lives? As with most technology it is debatable, but it will be the driver behind every sales campaign for the foreseeable future. Pretty sure of that.

Nope. I can hear my toaster pop open. I can hear my dryer ding. I can hear my washer stop. I don't need them to connect.

----

I wonder if the the Sammy Galaxy S Toaster will have a stylus.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    techno wrote: »

Sock monster has checked in to your dryer.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

You're right. If they were remotely interested in openness, they'd adapt to interoperability with those open standards.

Or just join the AllSeen Alliance and make use of/contribute to the pool of existing open technologies there.

• Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

At least people are calling them out for their new TV interface being a total ripoff of LG's WebOS TV interface.

Hopefully you can get Toast for it. image

Open is anything that isn't developed by Apple. Android is "open" (it's not by any means, but the kiddies like to throw that word around).

Well, there's some truth there though. If I rent a movie on Google Play, the members of my family who use iOS devices can watch it. The inverse is not true with iTunes.

Apple arbitrarily limits you much more than other platforms.

• Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

One should never leave a toaster unattended while in use.  I'm not saying you have to constantly stare at it, but you should be within a few feet, in case something goes wrong.

Oh FFS.  I graduated 2nd grade a while ago. Go sell your life lessons to some 7 year-old who needs 'em.

• Reply 47 of 53
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

[Redacted for lack of meaningful content]

• Reply 48 of 53
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    paxman wrote: »
    the toaster lets your iWatch know when your toast is done

One should never leave a toaster unattended while in use.  I'm not saying you have to constantly stare at it, but you should be within a few feet, in case something goes wrong.

Talk about paranoid!

I never stay in the same room when making toast.

You're a product of our timid age.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Talk about paranoid!

I never stay in the same room when making toast.

You're a product of our timid age.

It's not paranoid or timid at all, it's being a little more self-aware of what you're doing. Consider yourself lucky to this point.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

It's not paranoid or timid at all, it's being a little more self-aware of what you're doing. Consider yourself lucky to this point.

Yeah, nobody in the fire protection biz would condone leaving a toaster on its own. I will occasionally leave ours temporarily, but only within its normal cooking time. They're hot, they burn shit, and burning shit can start fires. All situations are different though -- and I'm less concerned since we use ours on a granite island, and I don't imagine a flaming bagel's flames reaching 9' ceilings.

Anyway: http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/Research/NFPA reports/Major Causes/oscooking.pdf

• Reply 51 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    techno wrote: »

I swear that there has to be some über clandestine sock stealing operation by sock manufacturers forcing us to buy more socks. There's never a pair missing, just one of every different kind. :lol:
  • Reply 52 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    [Redacted for lack of meaningful content]

We're going to have to redact 99.9% of posts then.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I swear that there has to be some über clandestine sock stealing operation by sock manufacturers forcing us to buy more socks. There's never a pair missing, just one of every different kind. image

It could be a rogue spin-off of the underpants gnomes.