Apple seeds OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 beta with focus on Wi-Fi, Mail and VoiceOver

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2015
Apple on Wednesday issued a new beta build of its upcoming OS X 10.10.2 maintenance update, once again asking developers to focus on Wi-Fi, Mail and VoiceOver alongside general system compatibility testing.

With the latest OS X 10.10.2 beta, dubbed build 14C94b, testers are being asked to focus on Wi-Fi, Mail and VoiceOver implementations, all areas of concern addressed in the last pre-release version issued in December.

Customers have complained of Wi-Fi connectivity issues since OS X Yosemite launched in October, with some users reporting slow speeds and dropped connections. A subsequent update attempted to patch complications for both Wi-Fi and Mail in November, but problems persisted.

Today's OS X 10.10.2 beta build is the third seeded revision to Apple's forthcoming point update and comes more than one month after the last version was issued in early December.

Developers can access the latest OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 build via Apple's Developer Portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Ethernet sharing over WiFi is broken and consistently falls asleep in Yosemite. Let's hope this is fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Lots of graphical bugs going on. My MacBook Air now has a fully new logic board and I still see many graphical issues with Yosemite.

Come on, Apple http://www.marco.org/2015/01/04/apple-lost-functional-high-ground

Come on, Tim http://furbo.org/2015/01/06/death-by-a-thousand-cuts/

iOS 8 has bugs galore too. It's time for a Snow Leopard style release for both operating systems.

• Reply 3 of 26
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    I haven't even looked at "desktop" Wi-Fi sharing, I should test that. The only things I've noticed are occasional issues with the "Instant Hotspot" feature, and some rare Bluetooth obstinance (as in, won't connect to peripherals until logout/login).
  • Reply 4 of 26
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    ireland wrote: »
    Lots of graphical bugs going on. My MacBook Air now has a fully new logic board and I still see many graphical issues with Yosemite.

Come on, Apple http://www.marco.org/2015/01/04/apple-lost-functional-high-ground

iOS 8 has bugs galore too. It's time for a Snow Leopard style release for both operating systems.

Everything listed is conjecture w/o reproducible bug scenarios. You cannot fix a bug if you write generalizations and not reproducible steps to demonstrate the bug(s).
  • Reply 5 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Everything listed is conjecture w/o reproducible bug scenarios. You cannot fix a bug if you write generalizations and not reproducible steps to demonstrate the bug(s).

When I start up my computer and see a black space where there is meant to be a menubar it doesn't seem right to me.

• Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That's cute to say, but in the real world, it doesn't work that way. Intermittent problems are just that. All I know is, my iPad Air 2 WiFi  connection with my 2011 iMac running Yosemite goes to sleep. Stops working. No, this isn't a weak signal issue. It's an odd corner case very difficult to reproduce at will. That's not conjecture. No, I have not filed a bug, because of the reasons you state. These kind of problems are usually odd manifestations of other larger problems. On the whole, this is the only problem I have with Yosemite. Everything else is peachy. 

• Reply 7 of 26

I saw on iMore from Peter C, we need a 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I saw on iMore someone said need 'Snow Yosemite'. Maybe the new name should be 'Snow Drift'. Anyway. 

• Reply 8 of 26
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

When I start up my computer and see a black space where there is meant to be a menubar it doesn't seem right to me.

I've seen missing menu bars in both Mountain Lion and Mavericks, but it's pretty rare and always related to external displays or having recently unplugged an external display.

Some of the Yosemite problems (possibly yours included) are more easily reproduced and stand a better chance of being corrected. Like the sporadic, seemingly random wireless issues, performance has to be the biggest mystery of Yosemite. Some report that the OS performs fine, but others (ranging from minimal hardware to the latest retina iMac) report video glitches, stuttering in place of smooth scrolling and overall slowness.

What I find truly frustrating is Apple tying application version to OS version. It can be a big problem when you're trying to collaborate with someone running a newer version of Keynote, Numbers or Pages. Unless you're running the same OS you cannot run the same version of the apps and therefore cannot edit the files they produce. Apple probably doesn't see it as a problem because the OS and apps are free downloads, but it feels totally wrong to have to install a new OS just to gain access to a document.

Apple is doing the same thing with Safari. They're currently maintaining three different versions of Safari (6.x for 10.8, 7.x for 10.9, 8.x for 10.10) instead of making one application that runs on all three like Google does with Chrome. Fortunately using an older browser version is usually no big deal (provided it's still supported by security updates).

• Reply 9 of 26
    kkerst wrote: »
    Ethernet sharing over WiFi is broken and consistently falls asleep in Yosemite. Let's hope this is fixed.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    ireland wrote: »

1) What are all these graphical bugs? I'd think you could take screenshots and post them.

2) I don't get this Snow Leopard style release. Snow Leopard had plenty of bugs, too. Working on the backend instead of the UI doesn't mean there will be no bugs.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Same here. I had 10.10.2 installed the last two weeks. The problem is they released it WITH safari 8.0.2 at the same time so it was difficult to find out which was causing the Internet problem. By the way this internet stoppage happens hard wired and WIFI both!

I sent several notes to Apple detailing the "2 minutes and 28 second" internet failure" problem no response. I have a setup with Cox Communication running between 153Mbps - 174Mbps and downloading multiple files - regardless of which of the 3 computers running 10.10.2 they would show the "yellow circle" stating it either times out or lost connection at the "2:28" mark

To make sure this was NOT Cox, I streamed movies on my iPad Air 2, iPad mini - both WIFI only models, and iphobe 6 plus - BINGO!! no problems. In fact I ran apps updating in the background on all three mobile devices and they performed excellent. No WIFI loss or time out.

So I did COMMAND + R on all three computers resetting all three computers back to 10.10.1. Then only downloaded Safari 8.0.2. No problem so I added 8.0.2 on all 3 computers. Then I added 10.10.2 on two computers and downloaded five different 2GB files the same five files, on all three computers. After 2:28 the two computes running beta 10.10.2 failed - the one computer running just 10.10.1 continued perfectly. And by the way all this was going on while my iPad and iPhone devices were still updating apps and streaming movies so it was clearly 10.10.2 no question.

At this time I can NOT install 10.10.2 if I want to download anything taking longer than 2:28 in time (that two minutes and 28 seconds - not 2 hours and 28 minutes! )
  • Reply 12 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Sticking with Mavericks until these details are better ironed out.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) What are all these graphical bugs? I'd think you could take screenshots and post them.

2) I don't get this Snow Leopard style release. Snow Leopard had plenty of bugs, too. Working on the backend instead of the UI doesn't mean there will be no bugs.

They need to not add any new features.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    asdasd wrote: »

Didn't Grand Central and other low-level features come with SL?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

So “a stable OS” is out, since that would be a new feature in your book. :no:

• Reply 16 of 26
    Fix opencl for pro video users please
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

That's cute to say, but in the real world, it doesn't work that way. Intermittent problems are just that. All I know is, my iPad Air 2 WiFi  connection with my 2011 iMac running Yosemite goes to sleep. Stops working. No, this isn't a weak signal issue. It's an odd corner case very difficult to reproduce at will. That's not conjecture. No, I have not filed a bug, because of the reasons you state. These kind of problems are usually odd manifestations of other larger problems. On the whole, this is the only problem I have with Yosemite. Everything else is peachy. 

It's always a good idea to file a bug report, even if you cannot consistently reproduce the glitch. Just report what you were doing when the glitch happened. There may be something in your report which, when added to other similar reports, highlights a pattern that will allow the software developers at Apple to narrow their focus to a specific chunk of code.

• Reply 18 of 26

10.10 was bad, 10.10.1 was worse as far as WiFi between my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro and Cisco/Linksys E4200. Mail was so buggy as to be barely usable even using 10.10 on Mac Mini Server as a mailstore. 10.10.1 Mail.app was no better.

Never before have I reverted after a MacOS "upgrade" but ultimately I was forced to wipe the HD and reinstall Mavericks on the MacBook Pro. Was disappointed and shocked when my Time Machine backups wiped all my Yosemite history out.

Yosemite works well enough on the server which doesn't speak WiFi and very rarely runs Mail.app.

Will probably be 10.10.5 before I'm willing to try again.

• Reply 19 of 26
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Agreed. And there is upgrade fatigue. It's hard to keep up with everything and wonder what doesn't work and won't work.

They could have delayed the "hand off" feature of answering phone on computer. Just do an update every couple of years.

It's pretty mind numbing with annual updates of iOS 8 and OS X. Can't remember what was new from OS to OS every year. Then there are all of the bug fixes. At the end of the day, nothing for basic functionality has really changed. Just issues that come up. Don't feel there is a breakneck speed for everything. And I've heard Siri is not that great compared to Google and MS voice recognition. Wouldn't know that, as I turn off Siri when setting up new phone. It's a fail for me, along with Apple maps. Google all of the way.

There you go: Apple should focus on what they already have released and make it better. Let's get Maps up to speed. Street view. Transit, etc.

Anyway, ranting. Apple hardware is freaking amazing. iPhone 6 is just amazing and the new, cheap Macs, despite people complaining, are really, really nice for the vast majority of people. Apple's hardware division will be a part of business case studies to follow in schools well into the future. Firing on all cylinders, as Jobs once said when new iPods came out years ago.

• Reply 20 of 26
    It's the Mail update that interests me. I have a high end Retina MBP and Mail nearly shuts down my whole system when I try to send a large attachment with Mail Drop. I've also had Finder showing my folders as being completely empty even when I know they're not. Not being able to access my files is kind of a problem.