Apple's iOS 8 now on 68% of devices as distribution growth holds steady

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
According to the latest statistics from Apple, distribution of company's iOS 8 mobile operating continues to plod along and is now installed on 68 percent of iPhones and iPads registered to the iOS App Store.

While it's not setting any records, iOS 8 adoption is steadily rising and now accounts for 68 percent of iOS devices linked to Apple's App Store, up 8 percent from statistics reported in late November. Apple posted the latest numbers to its developer website on Wednesday.

Unsurprisingly, older iOS versions saw respective shares decrease over the same time period, with iOS 7 decreasing from 35 percent to 29 percent, and iOS 6 or below moving from 5 percent down to 4 percent of App Store registrants. The consistently rising share of iOS 8 users suggest new device sales are moving the needle helped along by a trickle of late upgraders.

In early October, iOS 8 adoption saw a brief period of stagnation after a buggy iOS 8.0.1 update inadvertently disabled cellular connectivity and Touch ID for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners. The slowdown followed an initially strong uptake typical of Apple's major platform releases.

Distribution picked up when Apple released iOS 8.1 in October, activating touchless Apple Pay transactions for iPhone 6.

The most recent iOS 8.1.2 update was released in December to rectify an issue concerning missing iTunes ringtones, as well as patch security holes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Hopefully, Apple have learned their lesson regarding 16gb devices.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    vartvvartv Posts: 10member
    Went inside a McD's today for lunch (for our son). Used Apple Pay. Cashier told me she never had seen it used before!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Meanwhile Lollipoop reaches what %?
  • Reply 4 of 17

Lollipop is for suckers.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    It would be faster if people wouldn't be afraid of their older iphones becoming slower with the update (and it happens, sadly). I don't like the idea of my new Plus will work slower in two years than now.
  • Reply 6 of 17

At present no % at all. I suppose because it is still available only on Nexus devices.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    but...but...Android again?
    bradipao wrote: »
    At present no % at all. I suppose because it is still available only on Nexus devices.
    There's one vendor who seems to get it right and that's Motorola. Their Moto X, G and E received Android 5.x already and in some cases before even the Nexus models. How? They stay close to stock Android so not much needed in adjustments once the code from Google arrives.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jotacee View Post

It would be faster if people wouldn't be afraid of their older iphones becoming slower with the update (and it happens, sadly). I don't like the idea of my new Plus will work slower in two years than now.

I put iOS 6 on my 3GS.  It was still useable....

• Reply 9 of 17
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Let's hope they fix it and make it better, along with the mandatory apps that you can't get rid of.

A friend had an iPhone 4S and got rid of it after the iOS 8 update. Too slow. Same as the iPhone 4S we had. Too slow and nearly unusable. Maybe flattening and reloading would improve things with a fresh install.

Search is still broken. Start a search, then re-search and your results don't show up.

For the most part, iOS 8 seems okay, but people are not going to be happy installing on older devices.

• Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's one vendor who seems to get it right and that's Motorola. Their Moto X, G and E received Android 5.x already and in some cases before even the Nexus models. How? They stay close to stock Android so not much needed in adjustments once the code from Google arrives.

Smart move but my be a result of having been under their umbrella for awhile.

• Reply 11 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Smart move but my be a result of having been under their umbrella for awhile.
    Probably so. A few other Android licensees like Sony are moving in the same direction now.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

2.1%   "A figure that has been 'flat-lining' for some time" (source below)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2384995/android-50-lollipop-is-installed-on-21-percent-of-devices

SuckerGate ??

"ANDROID LOLLIPOP: WHY SO MANY BUGS?"

"A short-lived enthusiasm …"

"but more important bugs appeared later ."

"And no … it’s still not finished and worse , the latest bugs are much more troublesome."

http://androidphonehub.com/news-2/android-lollipop-why-so-many-bugs/

• Reply 13 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You’re not an idiot, so you know the difference between outright mocking and whataboutism.

Don’t demean yourself.

• Reply 14 of 17
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Did you catch that whataboutandroiditis from [@]SolipsismY[/@]? He had it the other day, and now you do. ;)
  • Reply 15 of 17
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Did you catch that whataboutandroiditis from [@]SolipsismY[/@]? He had it the other day, and now you do. ;)

I probably did ask about Android but I don't know in what regard. I think I asked today or yesterday if ad revenue in apps was included with the payout totals for each platform.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I probably did ask about Android but I don't know in what regard. I think I asked today or yesterday if ad revenue in apps was included with the payout totals for each platform.

It was more like a week or two ago. I guess we now know its incubation period as digitalclips became symptomatic today. :lol:

Edit. It was 22 days ago.
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I wonder how long until Android apps will require 64-bit compatibility on Google Play.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It was more like a week or two ago. I guess we now know its incubation period as digitalclips became symptomatic today. :lol:

Edit. It was 22 days ago.

I still think that's a legitimate question, but he could have caught [E-Bola, Forumitis, Androidea Simplex II, ???] from me.