Roundup: The best Apple ecosystem electronics spotted at day two of CES

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
The Consumer Electronics Show is in full swing in Las Vegas, Nev., and AppleInsider offers a roundup of some of the best Apple-compatible devices we've spied at the event, including a unique car heads-up display, reversible USB plug Lightning cables, an iOS-connected asthma monitor, and more.

SenseHUD dashboard-mounted screen pitted against new CarPlay units

SenseDriver Technologies' new SenseHUD will use an iPhone to power its dash-mounted display, providing drivers with directions, speed, calls and other information. The hardware connects via Bluetooth and uses a special app to drive the display.

Images from the handset are reflected using a special electrochromatic LCD, which automatically adjusts to one of three viewing levels depending on ambient lighting conditions.

SenseHUD will launch this summer for $99, and stands as an alternative to the many CarPlay-related kits unveiled at CES this week. In particular, both Pioneer and Kenwood showed off new third-party aftermarket head units compatible with CarPlay that are set to hit the market soon.

CarPlay support was also announced this week by Volkswagen, which will incorporate Apple's platform into its next generation of vehicle infotainment systems. CarPlay is set to become available in select Volkswagen models that will hit the road later this year.

Fitbit's latest wrist-worn devices land amid wearables deluge

Fitbit was onhand at CES this week showcasing its expanded lineup, featuring the Charge step tracker, pulse-checking Charge HR, and the GPS-enabled Surge "fitness super watch."

The Surge, in particular, offers more smartwatch functions, such as music controls, caller ID, notification alerts and more. Battery life is also pegged at up to seven days under normal use.

The Surge retails for $249.95 and is available now, while the lower end Charge HR sells for $149.95.

ADAM asthma monitor coming with HealthKit support

One of the more interesting iOS-connected devices discovered by AppleInsider at CES this year is the Automated Device for Asthma Management, or ADAM. The accessory from Health Care Originals aims to provide users with a complete solution for managing their asthma by predicting and logging attacks, and recommending behavior changes.

Set to launch in the second quarter of this year, ADAM will connect to an iPhone and count coughs, measure respiration, weheze, heart rate and more. The accessory will boast HIPAA-compliant data storage, and support for Apple's HealthKit is in the works.

Griffin to launch Lightning cable with reversible plug

"iDevice" owners may find interest in Griffin's new $30 Lightning cable with reversible USB plug. Coming in March, the licensed Made for iPhone accessory will allow the USB end of the cable to be plugged into a port in either orientation.

That means both ends of the cable will be insertable with minimal fuss, as Apple's Lightning also works in either direction.

For even more, see AppleInsider's full coverage from the show floor at CES 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    For all the fuss people had about skeuomorphic design in Apple products, how do we still get interface designs that looks like they're from the mid-90s? You'd think that if you're putting a big head unit in your car, you want the design to be as clean as possible so at a glance I can quickly determine where I need to touch.

That Kenwood interface is far to graphic heavy which is taxing enough to require a bit of thought to comprehend it and determine the right action.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I wonder if the Griffin USB Cable licensed Apple's REVERSIBLE USB connector patent.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Appleinsider hasn't covered this, but I'm looking forward to the new FLIR One thermal camera for the iPhone 6 that was announced at CES. 

• Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFly View Post

For all the fuss people had about skeuomorphic design in Apple products, how do we still get interface designs that looks like they're from the mid-90s? You'd think that if you're putting a big head unit in your car, you want the design to be as clean as possible so at a glance I can quickly determine where I need to touch.

That Kenwood interface is far to graphic heavy which is taxing enough to require a bit of thought to comprehend it and determine the right action.

That Kenwood UI...so much visual noise.  I counted 5 unnecessary starbursts. 

EDIT: 6 now.

• Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

That Kenwood UI...so much visual noise.  I counted 5 unnecessary starbursts. 

EDIT: 6 now.

Maybe it was designed by J.J. Abrams.

• Reply 6 of 10
    thefly wrote: »

Maybe it was designed by J.J. Abrams.

The Abrams "lens flare" criticisms are overdone. I found the extra visual razzle dazzle in both Star Treks a welcome change and distinctive stylistic choice.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Why is nobody talking about Zano. They were at CES and they tech is amazing.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Appleinsider hasn't covered this, but I'm looking forward to the new FLIR One thermal camera for the iPhone 6 that was announced at CES. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/07/hands-on-next-gen-flir-one-thermal-imaging-camera-for-iphone

• Reply 9 of 10
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Geez....guess I better get my vision checked. I totally missed that article. 

• Reply 10 of 10
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Geez....guess I better get my vision checked. I totally missed that article. 

Heh, honestly, even I missed some of the stuff we published. There's been a lot of CES content this week.