Latest Duet Display for iPad update alleviates performance issues, adds new high-res option

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2015
Following a somewhat rocky, high-profile debut, the makers of Duet Display --?an app that allows users to press their iPad into service as a secondary display for their Mac --?have rolled out an impressive update that narrows the gap between a Duet-connected iPad and a traditional monitor.

Twin updates to Duet's iOS app and its OS X counterpart have brought a few new features, notably the ability to run the iPad in its native 2,048-pixel-by-1,536-pixel resolution and support for display mirroring. The biggest changes, however, are under the hood.

The latest versions have virtually eliminated the performance problems that AppleInsider noted when we reviewed the app last month. CPU usage, which could rise to more than 150 percent or more in "Retina" mode, now rarely eclipses one-third of that figure.

Lag issues have also all but disappeared, even when playing high-definition video content on the secondary display at full resolution. As before, we tested the update using an iPad Air 2 and a 15-inch Mid-2014 MacBook Pro with Retina display, outfitted with 16 gigabytes of RAM and a 2.5-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i7.

A few troubles do remain; for instance, Duet still forces connected MacBooks into "Best (Retina)" display mode. Users can now change the laptop's resolution back after connecting the iPad, but it is a hit-and-miss affair, sometimes requiring multiple adjustments to make it work.

Overall, the latest updates for Duet furthers its lead over competitors and makes it a must-have for professionals who often travel with a laptop and find themselves in need of extra scree real estate. Even desk-bound users who do not want to incur the expense of a larger external monitor, or lack the space for such an addition, will now find Duet well worth its purchase price.

Duet Display version 1.0.0 is available now as a $14.99, 8.4-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    As much as I love this app, it causes OS X to be unstable.. It crashes often with the OS X software installed.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    As much as I love this app, it causes OS X to be unstable.. It crashes often with the OS X software installed.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I concur the update is a big improvement. I have a 2013 MBP and iPad Air 2 and it works nearly flawlessly now. A real help as I travel internationally and this provides a very handy second screen.

I also received a SlingBox M1 (for TV place shifting) for Christmas and I am amazed at how well it works with my DirecTV when I'm traveling. I now have full access to both my DVR and all of my live satellite TV stations wherever I am in the world on my MBP or the iPad - simply amazing...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    emoeller wrote: »
    I concur the update is a big improvement. I have a 2013 MBP and iPad Air 2 and it works nearly flawlessly now. A real help as I travel internationally and this provides a very handy second screen.

I also received a SlingBox M1 (for TV place shifting) for Christmas and I am amazed at how well it works with my DirecTV when I'm traveling. I now have full access to both my DVR and all of my live satellite TV stations wherever I am in the world on my MBP or the iPad - simply amazing...

It will not come back on after the Mac goes to sleep. It's stuck on connecting to Mac. I love this thing but reliability keeps me from using it.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I'm not sure why this is bring touted as an iPad first, [URL=https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/air-display-2/id705578162?mt=8]Air Display[/URL] has been out for years and works perfectly well. Sponsorship maybe, AI?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    The first review made it very clear that this app was NOT the first of it's kind.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    The first review made it very clear that this app was NOT the first of it's kind.

My apologies, I must have missed that. It just seems they are pushing it a lot.
  • Reply 8 of 19

"It will not come back on after the Mac goes to sleep. It's stuck on connecting to Mac. I love this thing but reliability keeps me from using it."

When traveling I turn off Display sleep on my MBP and set up a hot corner to put the display to sleep manually, so this is not an issue when using Duet for dual display.

• Reply 9 of 19
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

I'm not sure why this is bring touted as an iPad first, Air Display has been out for years and works perfectly well. Sponsorship maybe, AI?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

My apologies, I must have missed that. It just seems they are pushing it a lot.

Hmmmm. Seems like a comparison of apps in this niche would be helpful, no....? Both to inform purchase decisions and, uhh, clear the air...

• Reply 10 of 19

It is the first cable connected app (vs AirDisplay etc. which use a wifi connection) so lag is much less and quality is better. Apple have only recently allowed this type of connection, so being able to use it like this is a big deal and is the main reason why it is being hailed as a big advance.

• Reply 11 of 19
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

What OSX version and hardware spec?  I want to know just for my selfish purposes before I try out this App.

• Reply 12 of 19
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    I tried it and found it still a beta product, actually causing more problems with my Mac mini than my iPad 3. I don't really need it, since I have two large displays, but hopefully all the bugs can get worked out. A MBA with an iPad display would be an ideal combination.

But to do that, the performance issues need to be cleared up. It's not just the lag they create. It's the heavy burden they place on batteries.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I installed latest today and it broke my Apple TV.

When I try to airplay my imac screen to my TV all I see is black screen.
    I am running latest yosemite on my imac 27inch 5K.

I even trashed the duet application on my imac but airplay still does not work.

I was able to airplay with my ipad and my other imac so i know it is not issue with apple tv.

I sent message to developer today but have not gotten any reply at all.
    Anyone having this problem?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Hey Adrayven,

Have you emailed us through the website or the Mac app? If you can report any problems to us that would be extremely helpful.  If we can't deliver a fix immediately, this will help us resolve them in a future update.

• Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

It will not come back on after the Mac goes to sleep. It's stuck on connecting to Mac. I love this thing but reliability keeps me from using it.

Hey,

The Duet Mac app quits when your computer goes to sleep to prevent your Mac from entering clamshell mode unintentionally. Duet should relaunch after you wake your computer, but if that's not working you may need to manually launch the Mac app.

Please check that "Launch at Login" is enabled in your Duet preferences and email us for more troubleshooting steps.

• Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I tried it and found it still a beta product, actually causing more problems with my Mac mini than my iPad 3. I don't really need it, since I have two large displays, but hopefully all the bugs can get worked out. A MBA with an iPad display would be an ideal combination.

But to do that, the performance issues need to be cleared up. It's not just the lag they create. It's the heavy burden they place on batteries.

Nearly all customer issues reported at launch have been addressed with the latest update, also since CPU use has dropped significantly you shouldn't see a major impact on your battery life. Beyond what is expected of running an additional display of course.

Please email us if you are experiencing heavy battery drain. We appreciate the feedback and it will help us optimize performance.

• Reply 17 of 19
    wolfiewolfie Posts: 2member
    Hey,

The Duet Mac app quits when your computer goes to sleep to prevent your Mac from entering clamshell mode unintentionally.

Is this a permanent feature? I <i>only</i> want to use this app with my Macbook closed and out of the way, for me that would be the whole point. Will this be possible?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    wolfiewolfie Posts: 2member
    Hey,

The Duet Mac app quits when your computer goes to sleep to prevent your Mac from entering clamshell mode unintentionally.

Is this always the case? I only want to use this app with my Macbook closed and out of the way in clamshell mode. Will this be possible?
  • Reply 19 of 19

I really like this app, but unfortunately, for me it is now broken. 

Config: Ipad 2 with IOS 8.3 and a Windows 7 laptop.

All I get on the Ipad is a black screen. Tested with a desktop PC also (Win 7) and the same result.