Apple Inc. stock leaps nearly 4 percent in first surge of 2015

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2015
After being pushed downward across the first week of 2015, Apple's stock surged $4.14 today to close at $111.89, adding over $24.27 billion to the company's market capitalization.

AAPL Surge Jan 2015

After gaining nearly 40 percent in 2014, Apple's shares dropped from nearly $112 down to almost $105 in the new year's first week of trading, despite strong sales data and virtually nonexistent competition from its main rivals throughout the holiday quarter and into the first week of CES.

However, those losses were dramatically reversed today as the company's stock rapidly changed course, gaining back all negative ground for the year and netting a slight positive from 2015's opening day last Friday.

Apple is expected to make new gains in 2015 on continued strong sales of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, an expansion of iPads into the enterprise supported by the company's partnership with IBM, a global rollout of Apple Pay and continued growth in Mac sales.

The company is aggressively expanding its office space, data centers, retail stores and other facilities globally, particularly in China where Apple plans to open 25 new retail stores over the next two years.

Apple will release its December quarterly earnings results later this month on January 27. The company's earnings will particularly be compared against hardware rival Samsung, which experienced a collapse in its mobile profits over the second half of 2014, and Google, which lost ground through 2014 (falling more than 5 percent) and has continued into negative territory in the new year.

AAPL GOOG 2014

Compared to Apple's pre-split figures from last year, today's surge would have amounted to a leap of $28.98, resulting in a pre-split stock price of $783.23.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Buying before the quarterly to dump right after. We all know it ought to be about twice as high, but hey.

• Reply 2 of 19
    I'm dumping right before the quarter personally. They can beat hard and still get hammered. It's happened so many times before. A great quarter is a given and not likely to affect the stock price. Nobody seriously thinks Apple didn't have a great quarter. Their guidance for the next quarter is key this earnings report.

Plenty of time to jump in after the report. Like tallest ski said.. "we all know it ought to be about twice as high"... but that's not happening in 1 day. No matter how good the report is.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Hah! Who knew Pump & Dump also referred to breastfeeding?

http://pregnant.thebump.com/new-mom-new-dad/breastfeeding/qa/what-does-pump-and-dump-mean.aspx

• Reply 4 of 19
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Apple's stock didn't surge...the entire market surged. Apple's future is bright, but the stock performance over the past week is nothing more than following the rest of the irrational market trend and not indicative of anyone thinking Apple's position has improved.

• Reply 5 of 19
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Apple's stock didn't surge...the entire market surged. Apple's future is bright, but the stock performance over the past week is nothing more than following the rest of the irrational market trend and not indicative of anyone thinking Apple's position has improved.

Exactly right.  Ridiculous that the AI article mentioned nothing about the broader stock market's gyrations over the last week, which is supposedly all due to the price of oil.

• Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Exactly right.  Ridiculous that the AI article mentioned nothing about the broader stock market's gyrations over the last week, which is supposedly all due to the price of oil.

So Google "surged by 0.35%" compared to Apple's 3.84%? Totally surging. Admittedly MSFT was up by nearly 3% But Wiggin's post was off kilter when you look at Google today. 

• Reply 7 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wiggin wrote: »

The entire market did not surge 4% today.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    serendip wrote: »
    I'm dumping right before the quarter personally. They can beat hard and still get hammered. It's happened so many times before. A great quarter is a given and not likely to affect the stock price. Nobody seriously thinks Apple didn't have a great quarter. Their guidance for the next quarter is key this earnings report.

Plenty of time to jump in after the report. Like tallest ski said.. "we all know it ought to be about twice as high"... but that's not happening in 1 day. No matter how good the report is.

It's been several quarters now since Apple has been hammered after earnings report. And honestly I'm sick of the whole who cares about this quarter, it's the next quarter that matters. I'm sick of it mostly because people say it every damn quarter. Apple has a monster quarter and people say 'meh, who cares it's the next quarter that matters. Then the next quarter is a blowout and we here the same refrain.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's been several quarters now since Apple has been hammered after earnings report. And honestly I'm sick of the whole who cares about this quarter, it's the next quarter that matters. I'm sick of it mostly because people say it every damn quarter. Apple has a monster quarter and people say 'meh, who cares it's the next quarter that matters. Then the next quarter is a blowout and we here the same refrain.

You really shouldn't care what a stock does right after an earnings report unless you are day trader (and we know you're not). As a matter of fact, one shouldn't care about the fluctuation of any given stock on just one trading day. It is meaningless.

AAPL has outperformed the broader market (both S&P 500 and Nasdaq indexes) by a substantial margin over the past year (AAPL +46%, those two indexes +13%).

Sustained trends are what matters, which is why some investors focus on the 200-day moving average, not what a stock did the day after an earnings report, a product announcement, Groundhog Day, whatever.

The stock market is not a single-elimination match play tournament.

• Reply 10 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

They say it's oil, but it isn't oil. Individuals make rational decisions, but the market in aggregate is highly emotional and irrational.

• Reply 11 of 19
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Time to buy energy stocks.

• Reply 12 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Time to buy energy stocks.

You get it. Buy low, sell high. Be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful... all of that.

• Reply 13 of 19
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Who's been hoarding AAPL since $16 split adjusted? :D
  • Reply 14 of 19
    totaltotal Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

but what is your goal with AAPL? some kind of dream that AAPL share price will ONLY grow till the end of the world? i think 95% AAPLE shareholders are profitable since price moved over $100, so there is no reason to be stressed or scared, all have choice to secure their profits and enjoy them, right now. Ofcourse if you wait for 120,150,200,500 etc .. it rarely happen without some stress and scare.

On the other hand, you may sell, secure profit but happiness will be short, if stock price will continue to rise. You can end up with state where you never will be happy :) So it is up to you what is your real goal with AAPL.

• Reply 15 of 19
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They say it's oil, but it isn't oil. Individuals make rational decisions, but the market in aggregate is highly emotional and irrational.

The market is incredibly complex and is a combination of rational and irrational factors.

Individuals make a combination of both rational and irrational decisions, the mixture being different from person to person, varying at different points in their lives.

Is there stuff you did as a youth that you wouldn't do as an adult? Yeah, I thought so.

Even rational people make mistakes sometimes. A fat-fingered trader accidentally typing an extra digit on his computer in a transaction? Transposing digits? Yes, stuff like that.

• Reply 16 of 19
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    rattyuk wrote: »

So Google "surged by 0.35%" compared to Apple's 3.84%? Totally surging. Admittedly MSFT was up by nearly 3% But Wiggin's post was off kilter when you look at Google today. 

You're looking at one day using the same bad logic DED used for the article. Yes, on that one day Apple had a bigger recovery than the overall market (great if you happened to time that perfectly). But during the past week or so Apple also tanked bigger than the broader market (I don't recall AI reporting that as reflecting Apple's performance). So Apple has shown greater volitility than the boarder market, but in general the trend of its stock price has been largely following the trend of the overall market over the past week. And that market trend is probably the bigger driver of the change in Apple's stock price than reflecting Apple's own performance over the past week.

As I said in my original post, Apple's future is bright. But it's not responsible for the big one-day jump in it's stock price. That's the volatility in the market. Apple is still down as of the Jan 8 close by about 2% vs about a week ago 12/29.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    wiggin wrote: »
    You're looking at one day using the same bad logic DED used for the article. Yes, on that one day Apple had a bigger recovery than the overall market (great if you happened to time that perfectly). But during the past week or so Apple also tanked bigger than the broader market (I don't recall AI reporting that as reflecting Apple's performance). So Apple has shown greater volitility than the boarder market, but in general the trend of its stock price has been largely following the trend of the overall market over the past week. And that market trend is probably the bigger driver of the change in Apple's stock price than reflecting Apple's own performance over the past week.

As I said in my original post, Apple's future is bright. But it's not responsible for the big one-day jump in it's stock price. That's the volatility in the market. Apple is still down as of the Jan 8 close by about 2% vs about a week ago 12/29.

I agree mostly, IMHO DED's most salient point in the article is that we are looking at pre split price of $783.23. Day by day is neither here nor there if you are not day trading, but that price is pretty good considering pre split so many of the so called experts here on AI claimed APPL could never get much above $700 due to Bernoulli's Law. Ha!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Everyone who invests should read the book a Random Walk Down Wall Street.

The world is incredibly complex. We do not have all of re information world to know where things go next or as to why they are they way they are.