Roundup: The best Apple-friendly gadgets seen at day three of CES

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
The annual Consumer Electronics Show is now in the books, and AppleInsider offers a summary of some of the best Apple-compatible accessories we spied on the show floor on the third and final day in Las Vegas, including Lightning-connected headphones, more home automation accessories, and even a smart plant sensor.

Lightning headphones

While a number of Lightning-connected headphones were shown off at this year's CES, one of the first options ever announced is the Philips Fidelio M2L model. We had a chance to check out the headphones on the CES show floor, where Philips was showcasing the M2L's 24-bit DAC and on-board amplifier.

Audio is transmitted to the $320 Fidelio M2L over an Apple-certified Lightning cable that provides better sound than the analog audio taken straight from an iPhone's headphone jack.

The M2L's user interface is minimalist, with a single rocker-style switch handling music playback and volume controls. Inside, 40mm drivers sit behind plush ear cups, delivering powerful, clean sound.

Philips also announced the $299 Fidelio NC1L on-ears headphones this week, featuring active noise cancelation powered by the Lightning connection, though the accessory was not shown off in-person at CES. JBL also launched the $149 Reflect Aware in-ear headphones designed for athletes, complete with a "rugged, sweat-proof design."

Smart homes take center stage

Connected homes were a major theme at this year's CES, and AppleInsider met with a number of vendors on day three, showcasing the future of smart home technology. One of the more interesting lineups comes from Pella Windows and Doors, which is launching its new Insynctive family of products.

The retrofit sensor adapters allow for remote monitoring and control of accessories such as locks, doors, windows, window shades, and garage doors. When connected to the Insynctive Bridge, they can be controlled through iOS-compatible applications, such as Wink.

Pella Insynctive will become available on Jan. 19, and pricing will run $50 for two sensors, and $80 for the connected bridge that ties everything together.

Elgato was also at CDS 2015 showing off its new smart home ecosystem dubbed Eve. Products included door and window sensors, an electricity usage tracker and controller, and temperature and air quality sensors for rooms and general weather.

Finally, Lucis NuBryte is a cloud-connected smart home console that features automated lighting and security features. The control panel cleverly replaces existing room light switches, offering advanced home monitoring and control without an elaborate installation process.

Parrot's diverse showings feature CarPlay, plant watering

Finally, AppleInsider also swung by Parrot's CES booth on the third and final day of the show, where we had a chance to check out the company's diverse range of products compatible with Apple's iOS ecosystem. Of note was its new RNB6 CarPlay-enabled head unit, a forthcoming infotainment system.

The RNB6 features multi-source audio, a built-in equalizer, and supports Android Auto in addition to Apple's CarPlay. The head unit is set to launch by the end of 2015, but pricing has not yet been announced.

Parrot also showed off its second-generation H2O plant sensor. The connected device can measure soil moisture, temperature, sunlight, fertilizer and more. It also boasts a built-in irrigation system that automatically waters plants at different times of the day based on environmental factors, minimizing waste.

For the rest of our extensive CES 2015 coverage, see AppleInsider's best-of roundups from day one and day two of the show, and check out our full collection of stories from the annual trade show.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I am very excited about Philips Fidelio M2L. Ever since Apple first announced the spec, I have been waiting for a set of Lightning headphones enabling true 24-bit audio playback. Using the port to power the headphones is genius, as they can offload the signal processing into a dedicated unit in the headphones themselves, and since its not converted to analog on the way out (like the headphone jack) you can get true 24-bit audio from source to your ears. FINALLY!

To fully accomplish this, you would need an app like the one I use, I believe its called FLAC Player. It has a great UI and stores/playsback my 16 and 24 bit FLAC files. Typically I use it in conjunction with other Lightning-out stereo equipment....but headphones have been nonexistent till now.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I am very excited about Philips Fidelio M2L. Ever since Apple first announced the spec, I have been waiting for a set of Lightning headphones enabling true 24-bit audio playback. Using the port to power the headphones is genius, as they can offload the signal processing into a dedicated unit in the headphones themselves, and since its not converted to analog on the way out (like the headphone jack) you can get true 24-bit audio from source to your ears. FINALLY!

To fully accomplish this, you would need an app like the one I use, I believe its called FLAC Player. It has a great UI and stores/playsback my 16 and 24 bit FLAC files. Typically I use it in conjunction with other Lightning-out stereo equipment....but headphones have been nonexistent till now.

And what happens if you want to connect these headphones to something other than your iPhone?

• Reply 3 of 4
    mr4jsmr4js Posts: 55member
    I wouldn't be too excited about anything Philips makes. They make cheap junk and are a very unethical company, worse than Samsung. Consumer electronics, including Apple, will be moving to USB 3.1 and the new type C connector soon. Lightning may go the way of FireWire. Apple has been very involved in developing the USB type C standard.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/eu-tv-cartel-fine/
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The last invention they made is truly dope , I would sure want that to grow my marijuana plants ????