Apple's rumored 12" MacBook Air may aggressively target mobility with USB 3.1 Type-C

Comments

• Reply 101 of 227
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

If you honestly think that this is Apple's prime motivation then you haven't the slightest understanding of the company. The reasons behind Apple's success defy and contradict much of what is taught in today's MBA diploma mills. This is why Wall Street has had such a rocky relationship with the company - they detest that their methods cannot be boiled down to simplistic, predictable, and easily reproducible profit making formulas.

Yes, Apple makes markets and redefines them. That's been their DNA.

• Reply 102 of 227
    Having an internal S
    My use of tilde is ~ zero

Me too. It's a weird key for a U.S. English keyboard. Exactly zero US English words use the tilde.
    If I need a tilde over the n, I can type Option-N,N on my Mac keyboard and this magically appears: ñ.

Edit: Option, not Alt is the proper Apple term.
  • Reply 103 of 227
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Why not add a lighting port, you can then use your iPhone cable in reverse as a USB?
  • Reply 104 of 227
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because that’s completely psychotic. Top right is completely unused. Top left has ALWAYS been Escape.

Switching Caps Lock and Control made sense, but this?

Perhaps it's to simply the location of the volume buttons? Having the corner key be volume up makes it easier to locate, in the dark, light, through muscle memory and for new Mac users the most used keys on the top row: volume up and volume down. Worth considering.

• Reply 105 of 227
    - "Apple removes many ports including Thunderbolt and introduces a MBA with only 1 USB Type-C"

- "OK! What is the good news then?"

- "That was the good news !.. The bad news is Thunderbolt is doomed ! Security researchers call for the removal of PCIe functionality from Thunderbolt ! Prepare yourself to a MacPro with 60 USB Type-C ports!..." ;-)
  • Reply 106 of 227
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    pmz wrote: »
    3 finger drag is amazing, probably the single best multi touch gesture.

How is it with a Magic Mouse?
  • Reply 107 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

It doesn't seem that the Chromebooks are in the same notebook category. Chromebooks do have their shortcomings, although not for a lot of people. We have one and could pretty much only use that as our primary device, though.

Maybe the $300 market is one to cede to others. What advantage is there in a low margin environment?

In a low-margin environment, the primary advantage is to Google, then to consumers. The device makers, not much if any.

• Reply 108 of 227
    xzu wrote: »
    Why not add a lighting port, you can then use your iPhone cable in reverse as a USB?

That cable has plugs on both ends. What would you plug the other usb cable into. Besides, lightning only supports USB 2.0 it is already a generation behind current USB let alone this new connector and standard.
  • Reply 109 of 227
    staticx57 wrote: »
    That cable has plugs on both ends. What would you plug the other usb cable into. Besides, lightning only supports USB 2.0 it is already a generation behind current USB let alone this new connector and standard.

Where did you get this info the USB cable included with iDevices can only support USB 2.0 data rates and power? The devices can't, but until we get NAND that can handle faster read and write speeds it's pointless to include.
  • Reply 110 of 227
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Where did you get this info the USB cable included with iDevices can only support USB 2.0 data rates and power? The devices can't, but until we get NAND that can handle faster read and write speeds it's pointless to include.

Lightning doesn't have enough pins to support 3.0.
  • Reply 111 of 227
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

That's fine. 3.0 is garbage. It's slow, the connector is stupid because it's even harder to insert than 2.0, and those things overheat as well.

• Reply 112 of 227
    After years of searching and watching the Apple keynotes.... I have yet to see any survey or study that shows (a) Apple customers want fewer ports and choices of interfacing with the real world, and (b) that removing ports promotes innovation. I'm still using my wide array of firewire drives at work and home. USB still can't touch it in real speed. I don't understand.... Bluetooth devices (especially mice) eat batteries for snacks, and always die at the most important times. USB works because it's convenient and adaptable. No it's not fast, but it is reliable. Just because Apple didn't invent USB, doesn't mean it's not a good idea that (yes) promotes innovation. I still have my 2009 MacBook Pro, with a new 980gig SSHD because it has firewire, 2 USB ports, magsafe, ethernet, SSD, earphone jack, and the apple display port (pre-thuderbolt). And I use ALL of these ports at least once a week. sigh...
  • Reply 113 of 227

What gives you that idea?

• Reply 114 of 227
    What gives you that idea?

A USB 3.0 cable has 9 and lightning has 8.
  • Reply 115 of 227

And? Apple's USB cables for iDevices have a chip in them at the Lightning connector end so when it detects it's an iDevice that can handle USB 3.0. IOW, just because the USB 3.0 Type-A port has to have 9 pins because it needs 2 pins for USB 2.0 data doesn't mean Lightning port has to also offer those same, static USB 2.0 pins on the other end.
  • Reply 116 of 227

Your point is what? They’re not the same format.

Thunderbolt can convert to DVI. DVI has how many pins again? Geez.

• Reply 117 of 227

Has anyone else wondered if the 12 inch iPad, and 12 inch Air is one in the same? If they are really looking for something new, would they ever consider a touch screen and a *gasp* stylus?

• Reply 118 of 227

To be fair, a digital signal on dvi uses 18 pins, displayport has 20.

Solipsism may be right and they can hack it, but that's not the worlds most elegant solution. Besides this new connector has 12, lightning would not be able to match what the C connector can do.
  • Reply 119 of 227

I wasn't even getting that deep into it.

PS: Remember when we had people signing up to say how Apple was being left in the dust by Samsung because they claimed they supported USB 3.0 on their Galaxy Note 3, which jumped back to USB 2.0 on the Galaxy Note 4?
  • Reply 120 of 227
    To be fair, a digital signal on dvi uses 18 pins, displayport has 20.

Solipsism may be right and they can hack it, but that's not the worlds most elegant solution. Besides this new connector has 12, lightning would not be able to match what the C connector can do.

It's not about hacking anything. It's about converting the signals to work as needed, which is what Lightning does already. This does add cost and complexity to a cable because it's not simply a pin on one end absolutely corresponding to a pin on the other end, but it in no way means that Apple can't have USB 3.0 speeds with the Lightning pins. But, again, the NAND is the weakest link in that chain so it's nothing you should even worry about.