Apple supplies developers fourth beta of iOS 8.2 with WatchKit support

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
Apple on Monday provided developers with its fourth pre-release beta of iOS 8.2, a forthcoming software update that will unlock connectivity with the Apple Watch.

The fourth beta of iOS 8.2 with WatchKit is now available for download on test hardware via Apple's developer center and with over-the-air updates in the iOS Settings application. People familiar with iOS 8.2 beta 4 said it is identified as build 12D5461b.

As usual, Apple has warned beta testers that the pre-release build of iOS 8.2 should only be deployed on devices dedicated for beta software development.

The release of beta 4 comes less than a month after Apple issued iOS 8.2 beta 3 on Dec. 18. That version was identified as build 12D5452a.

The first iOS 8.2 beta debuted WatchKit support in mid-November, giving developers their first crack at creating applications for the forthcoming Apple Watch. Developers can create custom third-party applications, Glances, and actionable notifications for the upcoming hardware, set to hit the market in early 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Apple is definitely preparing the App Store to launch with thousands of Apple Watch apps when Apple (expectantly) will release the Apple Watch this Spring.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Who cares about thousands of apps, you can buy a much cheaper and more capable Apple Watch clone right off the show floor at CES... /s
  • Reply 3 of 17
    So, basically, if you don't plan on getting the AppleWatch (which I don't)...don't bother installing this update? Or will there be some bug fixes and other assorted odds and ends? I like to stay current, but if this only implements compatibility with AppleWatch, I'll hold off till 8.3...or is that likely to end up as iOS 9?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Man I hope we get an event invite announcement right around the time of MWC. Even better would be for the Watch to launch that week but my guess is it won't be ready yet.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So, basically, if you don't plan on getting the AppleWatch (which I don't)...don't bother installing this update? Or will there be some bug fixes and other assorted odds and ends? I like to stay current, but if this only implements compatibility with AppleWatch, I'll hold off till 8.3...or is that likely to end up as iOS 9?

I'm sure this will include bug fixes as well.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

This software update is for the iOS SDK of those who develop iOS apps; which will allow them to develop testable companion WatchKit apps for the Apple Watch.

If you do not develop any apps for iOS, then this software update isn't for you.

• Reply 7 of 17
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

anyone download yet?  like to make sure it does not slow down.  beta 3 very stable.

• Reply 8 of 17

This is a developer update (only available to paid Apple Developers) to the iOS beta release that includes WatchKit.

An update like this normally comes with an associated update to Xcode.

The Xcode update would normally include tweaks and fixes for any resolved non Apple Watch features -- so most developers would. likely, install both the iOS and Xcode updates.

So far, the update has not appeared on the Apple Developer site -- so there is no way to know what is in cluded!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    This is a developer update (only available to paid Apple Developers) to the iOS beta release that includes WatchKit.

The Xcode update would normally include tweaks and fixes for any resolved non Apple Watch features -- so most developers would. likely, install both the iOS and Xcode updates.

So far, the update has not appeared on the Apple Developer site -- so there is no way to know what is in cluded!

Ok are you saying this beta is a developer only update or that once 8.2 is finalized (GM?) and released it will only be a developer update? I understand betas being developer only, but if this is released to all end users, will it include bug/security fixes and other changes or just include compatibility for AppleWatch?
  • Reply 10 of 17

The question is to which developers this update is available; because I can not see it on the iOS developer page.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    March - iOS 8.2 released
    June - iOS 9 beta released
    Sept - iOS 9.0 released
    October - iOS 9.0.1 released
    October 2 - iOS 9.0.2 released
  • Reply 12 of 17

Ok are you saying this beta is a developer only update or that once 8.2 is finalized (GM?) and released it will only be a developer update? I understand betas being developer only, but if this is released to all end users, will it include bug/security fixes and other changes or just include compatibility for AppleWatch?

Consider iOS as a platform -- Normally, for an actively evolving platform there are several separate supported packages:
    • the prior released platform -- iOS 7.x available or some prior hardware
    • the prior released maintenance platform -- iOS 7.x+1 available or some prior hardware -- maintenance updates, e.g. security
    • the current release platform -- iOS 8.1.2 -- available on all iPhones back to the iP4S
    • the next planned update to the current release platform -- iOS 8.2 beta, beta 2, beta 3, beta 4 ... GM -- available to paid developers
    • subsequent planned updates to the current release -- e.g. iOS 8.3 beta ... to support new hardware (e.g. iPad Pro), new software (e.g. 2-up apps) -- available to internal developers and selected external developers, e.g. IBM, or Game Developers, etc.
    • the next planned release platform -- iOS 9 -- available to internal developers

Spread across these releases are various versions of frameworks, APIs, compilers, debuggers, developer tools, System Programs, Languages, Services, Application programs, acceptance/testing of app store submissions ...

It's quite a dance for Apple Engineers to piece it altogether into meaningful, useable discrete packages for release.

To answer your specific question, the iOS 2 beta series will, likely, continue with one or more betas before GM -- for paid developers only, just prior to the Apple Watch release. At that time, iOS 8.2 will be available to the general public as the current release through an update.

Normally, iOS beta release device installs are not reversible -- nor can you reinstall a prior release. Once a beta becomes GM, this limitation is removed and the installed GM behaves as the [new] current release.

Sometimes, changes are required immediately after the [new] current release rollout. This normally happens with new hardware and/or last-minute bug fixes ... It wouldn't be too surprising to see an immediate update to 8.2.1 to implement last-minute changes for Apple Watch
  • Reply 13 of 17
    longpath wrote: »

The question is to which developers this update is available; because I can not see it on the iOS developer page.

Try again ... I'm just a regular developer (although a really nice person :) -- I OTA upgraded my iP 6+ and dloaded the new Xcode beta from the iOS Developer site ...

Everything seems OK ...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Every time I see that snot-green strap, I sniff a little.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Every time I see that snot-green strap, I sniff a little.

Deviated septum. Very common among people with your snorting habits.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Normally, iOS beta release device installs are not reversible -- nor can you reinstall a prior release. Once a beta becomes GM, this limitation is removed and the installed GM behaves as the [new] current release.

People seem to think that it should be a simple switch flip to go back to a previous version, but just thinking of the hundreds/thousands of files that make up an OS, plus all the variations because the user missed out on one or two patch updates gives me nightmares, and that even before thinking about all the non OS user files, I am a developer and only having a few programs that interact between them kept up to date is a huge effort. For me it is always easier to move forward than to try to go back, so the moral is to always do a full backup to iTunes before moving forward.