Apple axes long-running 'Single of the Week' iTunes promotion - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2015
Ten years after giving away its first song, Apple has reportedly wound down the "Single of the Week" program that offered iTunes users a chance to download a free track from up-and-coming artists.

Apple previously updated the Single of the Week every Sunday, and questions about the future of the popular promotion began to circulate after a new single did not appear on the iTunes store earlier this month. One Apple forum member claims to have received confirmation of the campaign's cancellation from iTunes support, a report that was first noted by Business Insider.

If true, it would mark the end of one of Apple's longest-running promotional campaigns. Single of the Week began in August 2004, just over one year after the launch of what was then known as the iTunes Music Store, and was offered in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Brazil, Canada, and Germany.

Though there is no word on why Apple may have taken this action, shakeups in the company's iTunes team could be to blame. Notably, Apple brought in music industry heavyweights Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre with the acquisition of Beats Electronics, a move believed to be at least partially motivated by the need to keep pace with a marketplace that is shifting from music downloads to subscription-based streaming services.

The final single offered in the U.S. was Charlotte OC's Hangover. Customers in the U.K. received Rae Morris's Unguarded, while Canadian music fans could choose from Avicii's New Year's Eve Mix or Les Tireux d'Roches's Snowbird.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    First they stop 12 days of Christmas give away,
    Now this

Looks like Apple needs the money...
  • Reply 2 of 28
    When's the next billion download giveaway! Or maybe a 10 millionth iTunes Radio subscriber giveaway?
  • Reply 3 of 28

Sell the stock, Apple is doomed!

Honestly, I don't think I ever took advantage of this. And I've had an iPod since May 2005.

• Reply 4 of 28

I never took advantage of this so do not care but....I would be curious if they are planning something better or would at least be curious why they took this action...

• Reply 5 of 28
    While this does seem to indicate a sad trend of Apple seemingly removing freebies I honestly can't remember the last time the single of the week was something I would have wanted to download even for free so from a personal point of view this is no great loss.

It will be interesting to see if they have any replacement offers in the pipeline that are more in line with how people are using the store now.
  • Reply 6 of 28

The first Single of the Week I downloaded from iTunes was "Sunrise" by Norah Jones. According to the file metadata, it was January 23rd, 2004.

• Reply 7 of 28
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

After all the people whining about receiving the free U2 album, I don't blame Apple one bit for taking away the freebies such as single of the week and 12 Days of Christmas. 

• Reply 8 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

First they stop 12 days of Christmas give away,

Now this

Looks like Apple needs the money...

People are moving to streaming I guess.

• Reply 9 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Another sign Apple is doomed. /s
  • Reply 10 of 28
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It was lame to begin with- digital garbage mostly. No loss here.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Well no 12 Day gifts this time and I guess whoever is responsible for all this is catching up on the holidays
  • Reply 12 of 28

I actually found some really good bands from this. True there were some shockers but I got into Kings of Leon, Lowrider, Old Man River thanks to Single of the Week.

I haven't used it lately but it has been a great way to find new artists I like.

• Reply 13 of 28
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    After all the people whining about receiving the free U2 album, I don't blame Apple one bit for<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> taking away the freebies such as single of the week and 12 Days of Christmas. </span>

The consumer is always right except with Apple?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    They also had a free "music video of the week" that I would regularly download. That ended a while ago though, at least here in Australia.
  • Reply 15 of 28

Good; it was all a load of rubbish anyway.

Oh for the days when people knew how to write good music and could sing well.

At least we still have recordings of those past times.

• Reply 16 of 28
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    After all the people whining about receiving the free U2 album, I don't blame Apple one bit for<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> taking away the freebies such as single of the week and 12 Days of Christmas. </span>

True, good point.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

A mixed bag, to be sure, but I found some gems in there and am grateful for the dozen or so singles of the week that turned into EP or album purchases, especially Laura Marling's Night Terror back in 2008, which lead to four albums (and one current preorder), and a half dozen live concerts.  I'd probably have got there anyway, still, thanks iTunes.

But hey, if Apple want to scale back their promotions that support and promote a wide variety of artists in favour of throwing money at Bono, who are humble customers to complain?

• Reply 18 of 28
    crowley wrote: »
    A mixed bag, to be sure, but I found some gems in there and am grateful for the dozen or so singles of the week that turned into EP or album purchases, especially Laura Marling's Night Terror back in 2008, which lead to four albums (and one current preorder), and a half dozen live concerts.  I'd probably have got there anyway, still, thanks iTunes.

But hey, if Apple want to scale back their promotions that support and promote a wide variety of artists in favour of throwing money at Bono, who are humble customers to complain?

Glad you found some gems.

I guess people have different standards.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

There's really no need for that.   Take your snideness and constant troll-negativity away from me please.

• Reply 20 of 28
    After getting so much negative press from giving away the U2 album, Apple quit giving anything away free! No good deed goes unpunished....