Samsung takes on Apple's iPhone 6 Plus with all-metal 5.5" Galaxy A7

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good to know, Jfc1138. Thx.

I have handled them at the Apple store and you're right they are, indeed, very light.

I'll take another look at the 6.

Yep, I'm not a fan of cases.

Best

You're welcome.

Yes when I got the 6 Plus and laid my 5s next to it I admit to a moment of panic: relative to the phone I really liked that thing was HUGE.... But off on it's own in the real world simply using it? Nice device and I expect the 6, being even a tad smaller, would also transition very quickly. The one area where I still notice the difference is in pocketability. There I had to make changes (when walking around I never sit with my phone in my pants pockets if for nothing else easier access), away from my front jeans pocket to side pockets on pants that have them or jacket/parka, shirt pockets.

• Reply 62 of 99
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Engadget reported (yesterday) that this is a mid-range phone with only a 720p screen. Not much of a 6 Plus competitor if that's the case.

It seems to be missing a lot of HW to be on the same level as any current iPhone.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    LMAO, Samsung loyal users have accused Apple of copying Samsung all along. BUT, with the major success of the iPhone 6's and serious dropping of Samsung products sales, they have started copying the iPhones
  • Reply 64 of 99
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    numenorean wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing. What are they going to call their next phone? The Samsung Galaxy IOs A8 Swift Metal?! <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Geez.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Just pondering...</span>
    Samsung would need to call it iOS_Late.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

You're welcome.

Yes when I got the 6 Plus and laid my 5s next to it I admit to a moment of panic: relative to the phone I really liked that thing was HUGE.... But off on it's own in the real world simply using it? Nice device and I expect the 6, being even a tad smaller, would also transition very quickly. The one area where I still notice the difference is in pocketability. There I had to make changes away from my front jeans pocket to side pockets on pants that have them or jacket/parka, shirt pockets.

"...a moment of panic." That's funny. Made me smile. :) 

Best

• Reply 66 of 99
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Let me guess... "Next Big Thing Is Already Here!"%u2122
  • Reply 67 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jkichline wrote: »
    8 Cores. Still can't beat Apple.

And seriously, you named it A7? Can Samsung do anything but copy Apple?

It seems not ... except make a profit that is ... :D
  • Reply 68 of 99
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

I'm going to disagree with you. Apple pushing "thin & light" allows for, over time, new classes of devices. 

I've got no issues with "light". But thin is relative. Apple can innovate all they want. There are all kinds of reasons to develop than as you say. My 5S is about as thin as I want a phone to get. And it's already hard to handle the way I had become accustomed to using the iPhone. The balance is all wrong in one hand. The 6 is a mess to hold as far as I'm concerned. And the 6 Plus is a train-wreck for me -- and I have big hands. And for that matter, the 5S is about as Light as I want my phone to be. It feels increasingly fragile the more I use it.

Now these innovations do wondrous things for the iPad as far as weight is concerned, and I'm sure for the users of the 6 Plus as well given it's ridiculous size for a phone. But Apple seems to be driven by shaving microns off of their devices, rather than any other aspect of their functionality, as a way to distinguish them from the competition. Every time they dwell on thinness and make it the focus of their keynote presentation and marketing, I cringe. Who cares!? Not every device needs to be super thin if it feels wrong in your hands, or compromises some other aspect that might be more important to the consumer. Think about it -- have TV remotes gotten super thin? No. There's battery technology that many use that allows them to do just that, but in the end it's about the function of the device and how it fits in the hand. I'm not saying thin is bad in all cases, I'm just saying, why is it a focal point on something that doesn't necessarily need it, or help it for that matter? 

• Reply 69 of 99
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

I have handled them at the Apple store and you're right they are, indeed, very light.

Best

I liked my iPhone 4 size. It served me well for over 4 years. Then sold it off to T-Mobile for $202.00!!!. Nice!!!. I like my new 6 but I had to put a case this one. Just too thin and slippery. Since it is so thin, adding a case doesn't bulk it up much. I but adv heavy duty case on mine with added a little more bulk, but it's not that bad. I can't really 1 hand use it any more, not like I could with my smaller phone. There's trade off's. The 6+ is just too big.
  • Reply 70 of 99
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

Best

After using my 4S for the last 3 years & a 3GS before that I was unsure about the size of the 6, but having had one for a couple of months now, I very much prefer it. The curving on the sides is really comfortable to hold & using one of Apple's own cases (the silicone one) doesn't alter that or add much size but does give me extra grip which I like.

Speed, battery life, responsiveness etc are all improved & the screen is really nice to view. I would find it hard to go back to a 4" iPhone now (but still cannot imagine using a 5.5" one).
  • Reply 71 of 99
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    There is absolutely no way that's only going to cost $600 off-contract, unless Samsung's slashing their profit margins.
  • Reply 72 of 99

Big deal

• Reply 73 of 99
    bbteague wrote: »
    LMAO, Samsung loyal users have accused Apple of copying Samsung all along. BUT, with the major success of the iPhone 6's and serious dropping of Samsung products sales, they have started copying the iPhones

started copying the iPhones?
  • Reply 74 of 99
    I'm going to disagree with you. Apple pushing "thin & light" allows for, over time, new classes of devices. If we were still dealing with devices as thick and heavy as the iPhone 3gs or even the iPhone 4, we'd never have seen a 4.7 iPhone 6 or 5.5 iPhone 6+.

I love my iPhone 6+ (its the iPhone I've been waiting for for years) but I'm not going to lie to you, its just about as thick and heavy as it can be without being totally uncomfortable.

And lets not forget, all the engineering they put into creating "thin and light" phones over the last several years, also allowed them to build the Apple Watch. Take a look at the competition, even the "acceptable" non-Apple smart watches are less powerful or much larger (hello, hock puck sized Moto 360). And the Apple watch will only get better with time as Apple's miniaturization prowess gets better.

Agreed. I love my 6+, too, along with the 128 GB.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

I'm going to disagree with you. Apple pushing "thin & light" allows for, over time, new classes of devices. 

I've got no issues with "light". But thin is relative. Apple can innovate all they want. There are all kinds of reasons to develop than as you say. My 5S is about as thin as I want a phone to get. And it's already hard to handle the way I had become accustomed to using the iPhone. The balance is all wrong in one hand. The 6 is a mess to hold as far as I'm concerned. And the 6 Plus is a train-wreck for me -- and I have big hands. And for that matter, the 5S is about as Light as I want my phone to be. It feels increasingly fragile the more I use it.

Now these innovations do wondrous things for the iPad as far as weight is concerned, and I'm sure for the users of the 6 Plus as well given it's ridiculous size for a phone. But Apple seems to be driven by shaving microns off of their devices, rather than any other aspect of their functionality, as a way to distinguish them from the competition. Every time they dwell on thinness and make it the focus of their keynote presentation and marketing, I cringe. Who cares!? Not every device needs to be super thin if it feels wrong in your hands, or compromises some other aspect that might be more important to the consumer. Think about it -- have TV remotes gotten super thin? No. There's battery technology that many use that allows them to do just that, but in the end it's about the function of the device and how it fits in the hand. I'm not saying thin is bad in all cases, I'm just saying, why is it a focal point on something that doesn't necessarily need it, or help it for that matter? 

I understand your frustration.

I think it’s the weight loss that's the real gain. But my iPhone 5 is as light as I need in a phone. And the 6 I found too thin; I almost dropped it in the shop. But for the iPad and laptops, weight loss is a real boon, so it makes sense there. But yes, with the iPhone, I think they have gone too thin in the 6, because they had to to make the size palatable. 

I think the best compromise would be a 4.2" screen with reduced bezels on a phone the thickness and very slightly larger size of the 5. That way, battery life would get a nice boost, the phone would be pocketable, lighter than the 6, suitable for one-handed use and easy to pick up and grasp.

• Reply 76 of 99
    Samsung's designs aren't bad, they still look like iPhones for the most part though. The thing that sucks is that they run android. I find android to be a cumbersome and clumsy interface. Its user experience lacks elegance and is harder to navigate than iOS.
  • Reply 77 of 99
    jkichline wrote: »
    8 Cores. Still can't beat Apple.

And seriously, you named it A7? Can Samsung do anything but copy Apple?

Lol, I thought the same thing.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    According to published specs (as of today anyway) you would be wrong. It's 6.3 mm thick metal unibody construction.

Well at least aluminum is recyclable, so not a total waste of materials. :D
  • Reply 79 of 99
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Aww, they named it after Apple's last gen processor.  That's cute.

What's that?

You didn't, you say?

So the A stands for... aluminium I guess, and the 7 stand for... 1 more than the iPhone 6? 

That can't actually be true can it?  What on earth is the logic behind this name?

• Reply 80 of 99

An RGB sensor is probably not used for screen brightness but for screen color. By knowing the ambient lighting conditions, the phone could balance the color (easier on the eyes especially in low-light). Something similar to what f.Lux does http://goo.gl/EyCIuP. ;