Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6s' could ship with dual-lens camera, 'Force Touch'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
With over half a year remaining before Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation iPhone, a fresh rumor out of Taiwan suggests that the company may be considering a new dual-lens camera system and the addition of "Force Touch," the pressure-sensitive touch technology set to be introduced in the Apple Watch.

Moving to a dual-lens design would allow Apple to offer optical zoom capabilities in the iPhone for the first time, according to UDN, citing ever-reliable sources in the Asian supply chain. The supposedly redesigned camera module would also improve low-light performance by allowing more light to reach the sensor.

Apple has made significant investments in imaging technology and counts the iPhone's camera among its most marketable assets, making it a likely area of interest for future upgrades. The Sony-supplied sensor in the iPhone 6 Plus -- featuring phase-detection autofocus and optical image stabilization --?is widely lauded as the best smartphone camera ever made, rivaling many point-and-shoot models.

Additionally, Taipei-based touch module supplier TPK is thought to be in the running to supply three-dimensional touch sensors for the forthcoming handset, bringing Force Touch to the iPhone. UDN believes that those components would be included to facilitate more accurate sensing of a user's blood pressure and pulse, though that seems unlikely.

On the Apple Watch, Force Touch allows the device to provide contextually-specific feedback in the user interface --?for instance, a heavy press could bring up an options menu, while a light tap would select an option. Bringing that functionality to the iPhone seems to be a far more plausible idea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    how long bf i start to feel like my 5S is outdated? talk of the 6S makes it feel old.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    8-9 more months of rumors and speculations like this...
  • Reply 3 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I'll be willing to bet it won't ship with force-touch. It makes no sense. You need it on such a tiny device as Apple Watch and it may be handy on an iPad, especially iPad Air for stylus pressure sensitivity or something like that, but it makes no sense for iPhone really.

• Reply 4 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

You can ignore them.

• Reply 5 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Maybe force touch will ship on the new Macbook Air. There are rumors that it's trackpad doesn't click, and without force touch you would have to lift you finger off to tap, instead of just leaving it on the pad and pressing slightly harder.

• Reply 6 of 78
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

This rumor makes sense because Sony has already announced the dual-lens camera. I really do hope this turns out to be true. 

• Reply 7 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Force Touch

It flows through all rumoured iPhones in existence.

Stretch out with your Apple ID.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tlevier wrote: »

Here's two more (but these I guarantee will happen):

1. 2GB RAM
    2. 32GB entry level storage (that's already being rumored)
  • Reply 9 of 78
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    schlack wrote: »
    how long bf i start to feel like my 5S is outdated? talk of the 6S makes it feel old.

Um… I guess as of this article, per your own response. :\
  • Reply 10 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »
    32GB entry level storage (that's already being rumored)

I will literally laugh out loud if the base amount is 16GB again.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Wait. 6 months is fast. Many still have the 5S. You are not alone. The S cycle is always the preferred 2 year cycle. All kinks will be worked out. And u will get Apple pay from the get go for a full 12 months and not 11 months like the first day 6ers.
    I will buy a 6S. I would buy a 6 S Plus except only if Apple solves a way to fold it.
  • Reply 12 of 78

Your 5S was outdated September 19th, 2014. Just like my 6 will be outdated September 2015. It happens.
    solipsismy wrote: »

I think I would too, honestly.
  • Reply 13 of 78

You should have laughed last time. A law suit is already unfolding.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Your 5S was outdated September 19th, 2014. Just like my 6 will be outdated September 2015. It happens.
    I think I would too, honestly.

Wrong. It's not outdated- it's still being sold and preferred by millions over the 6. Inexpressively.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    ireland wrote: »
    I'll be willing to bet it won't ship with force-touch. It makes no sense. You need it on such a tiny device as Apple Watch and it may be handy on an iPad, especially iPad Air for stylus pressure sensitivity or something like that, but it makes no sense for iPhone really.

It makes perfect sense to replace a moving part with one that doesn't. In addition the Touch ID button will now be sealed.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don't understand how this two lens zoom is supposed to work. I've read about it briefly somewhere before, but it still makes no sense. There is a company that has a prototype of a zoom lens using two sliding optical wedges inside the lens, but that seems different. I don't know how well that works anyway.

As far as the force technology goes, well, it does sound interesting. People shouldn't dismiss it because they don't like what it does, or something. It could prove useful.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    It makes perfect sense to replace a moving part with one that doesn't. In addition the Touch ID button will now be sealed.

Force touch ? a tactile feel. I will be surprised if the physical Home Button goes away before there is a sufficient method to mimic the feel of a real button.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I will laugh at loud at the comments from those who still argue that 16GB is fine and upping to 32GB will prevent Apple from investing in R&D.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    You should have laughed last time. A law suit is already unfolding.

And Apple will win this one too, or it will be thrown out of court as have some other lawsuits against Apple like this one.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »
    I will laugh at loud at the comments from those who still argue that 16GB is fine...

It is fine for plenty of customers.
    …and upping to 32GB will prevent Apple from investing in R&D.

:???: