Apple brings 2TB Mac mini configuration back to online store

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2015
After a brief hiatus, Apple's high-capacity 2TB Mac mini has returned to the Online Apple Store on Tuesday, but is once again reserved as a configuration option on the most expensive $999 model.

When the latest Mac mini refresh was introduced last October, AppleInsider noted Apple had axed internal storage options beyond 1TB. Prior to the hardware update, a 2TB HDD was offered as an add-on to the top-end Mac mini server, which was also discontinued.

In its return to the Online Apple Store, spotted earlier today, the 2TB Mac mini is now a Fusion Drive unit, but is again restricted to the highest-end $999 model, which comes with a 2.8GHz dual-Core Intel Core i5 1TB Fusion Drive and 8GB of memory, standard. The additional storage space comes at a $100 premium and -- aside from swapping to an 256GB SSD -- is the cheapest storage upgrade available.

The new option adds to Apple's existing Mac mini storage customization options, which include a switch to 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage for no extra fee, or 512GB and 1TB SSD configurations that sell for $300 and $800, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35

The only thing that frustrates me about the new Mini is the soldered RAM. But it's not what you think; I'm frustrated because everyone freaked out about it, and the 2012 models didn't drop in price on the used market as much as they could have.

• Reply 2 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I have to say, since the last update to Duet my old iPad is now a pretty useful head to my previously headless 2013 Mac mini. An old iPad is perfect for the occasional tinkering on a Mac mini (in my case it is a server) although I still like using ARD (which is now all working properly again since 10.10.2) but never-the-less, better it is sitting proudly on a Mac mini than in a cupboard collecting dust. They have feelings you know ;) .

Anyone thinking of using an old iPad and Duet for a Mac mini screen I suggest using kiosk mode (in the accessibility settings).
  • Reply 3 of 35

Apple should get out of the hard drive business and sell a Mac mini without a drive and you stick in whatever you want.

Does Apple really have to rip everyone off?

• Reply 4 of 35
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    ... the 2012 models didn't drop in price on the used market as much as they could have.

A month or so before it was discontinued, I got an awesome bargain on the 2012 dual drive mini server (thanks AI / Adorama) for $100 below retail with free AppleCare.

Having the TimeMachine drive built in is perfect for my development environment.

I'll buy another one in the near future. I think it was a mistake to drop the dual drive option.

I expect these server models will retain value as long as they run the current MacOS.
  • Reply 5 of 35

They should get out of the RAM business too…they are gouging customers with their memory upgrade pricing.

• Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

A month or so before it was discontinued, I got an awesome bargain on the 2012 dual drive mini server (thanks AI / Adorama) for $100 below retail with free AppleCare.

Having the TimeMachine drive built in is perfect for my development environment.

I'll buy another one in the near future. I think it was a mistake to drop the dual drive option.

I expect these server models will retain value as long as they run the current MacOS.

Having the backup in the same machine as your original work is a bad idea, for obvious reasons.

• Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

They should get out of the RAM business too…they are gouging customers with their memory upgrade pricing.

They really have some exceedingly dumb customers now.

I recently tried to help a customer in a local computer store who was trying to buy a "Mac formatted" hard drive from a staff member who knew nothing about Macs. The customer angrily dismissed me for suggesting that he simply reformat his drive in Disk Utility. I obviously was clueless, if it didn't come from Apple or was Apple branded it wasn't going to work! :wow: 

• Reply 8 of 35
    mbsmdmbsmd Posts: 34member
    rubaiyat wrote: »

Having the backup in the same machine as your original work is a bad idea, for obvious reasons.
    So, so true. Remarkably bad idea.
  • Reply 9 of 35

As is having your work mirrored on iCloud!

• Reply 10 of 35
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    the_steve wrote: »

Wasn't the reason for the soldered ram because it was stacked LPDDR3 or something?

I'm not too heartbroken over this (my 2012 mini has 16GB that I put in myself), but Apple needs to actually max out the RAM since it can't be upgraded.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    the_steve wrote: »

People, this is their bread and butter! It's how they make money. Their products are historically a generation behind, but sold at a premium because of the great Mac experience. Mac minis are just following this legacy model. It's only recently they have produced fast current gen products due to superior hardware and software tech.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Saw the new Mac mini specs. Soldered ram and no server option was unacceptable. Bought new 2012 server from BHT photo and added 16 GB Ram and 1 TB Samsung 850 pro and am very happy may change other 1 TB drive to a 2 TB drive.
  • Reply 13 of 35

Do what Apple does, and it doesn't use Mac servers and none of their servers run OS X server, they use Linux.

• Reply 14 of 35
    Apple should get out of the hard drive business and sell a Mac mini without a drive and you stick in whatever you want.

Does Apple really have to rip everyone off?

It's your choice to purchase or not purchase. No one is ripped off in an informed, voluntary transaction.
  • Reply 15 of 35

They really have some exceedingly dumb customers now.

I recently tried to help a customer in a local computer store who was trying to buy a "Mac formatted" hard drive from a staff member who knew nothing about Macs. The customer angrily dismissed me for suggesting that he simply reformat his drive in Disk Utility. I obviously was clueless, if it didn't come from Apple or was Apple branded it wasn't going to work! :wow:  

cool story bro
  • Reply 16 of 35
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post

Do what Apple does, and it doesn't use Mac servers and none of their servers run OS X server, they use Linux.

Well, that would be solid advice if you are trying to do with servers what Apple is trying to do with servers. Use the best tool for the job.

It's okay that Apple uses someone else's tech to run part of their business. This sort of thing happens are more often than someone like you would expect. 

It's okay to eat chicken (and enjoy it) even though you're a cattle rancher.

• Reply 17 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Wondering why the [URL=http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?product=ME087LL/A&step=config]top level 21" iMac[/URL] doesn't offer the same 2TB Fusion drive option.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Having the only backup in the same machine may be a bad idea, but it's fine for a dedicated Time Machine backup as long as you've taking periodic cloned drive backups via SuperDuper!, CCC, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    john.b wrote: »
    Having the only backup in the same machine may be a bad idea, but it's fine for a dedicated Time Machine backup as long as you've taking periodic cloned drive backups via SuperDuper!, CCC, etc.

Thanks. Of course it's not the only backup. It's also a separate drive. It's also lightning fast backing up.

Kids these days. Can't beat em, can't sell em to the gypsies...
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Well, that would be solid advice if you are trying to do with servers what Apple is trying to do with servers. Use the best tool for the job.

It's okay that Apple uses someone else's tech to run part of their business. This sort of thing happens are more often than someone like you would expect. 

It's okay to eat chicken (and enjoy it) even though you're a cattle rancher.

Got kicked off another site for saying what I said above.

The mod insisted that he worked for Apple and it eats its own dogfood. I said that was clearly contradicted by what they did to iWork and the logs on their servers. Mind I did preface that his assertions were patently obvious B.S. :) 

He had said my statement was B.S. first, so I claimed precedence and provocation! but apparently he objected to the use of the words "patently obvious".