Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Great article, thanks for the summary!!

I found two possible errors:

1- "largely to to Verizon Wireless abandoning BlackBerry"
    There are two to's.

2- "At the same time, Android launched a series of new 4G phones"
    Android never launched a phone, it's an OS.

And your comment is a no no. ;)

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184333/appleinsiders-updated-commenting-guidelines#post_2661798
  • Reply 42 of 59
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Great article, thanks for the summary!!

I found two possible errors:

1- "largely to to Verizon Wireless abandoning BlackBerry"
    There are two to's.

2- "At the same time, Android launched a series of new 4G phones"
    Android never launched a phone, it's an OS.

And your comment is a no no. ;)

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/184333/appleinsiders-updated-commenting-guidelines#post_2661798

Oh oh, bo bo ... ta ta ...

... poo poo pee doo
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Oh oh, bo bo ... ta ta ...

... poo poo pee doo

Is that anything like 'eep opp ork ah-ah'?
  • Reply 44 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    richl wrote: »
    Driverless cars springs to mind. 

Plus the lots of interesting developments in robotics, drones, wireless power and 3D printing. There were a lot of smaller start-ups giving glimpses of the future at CES this year.

I read that as 'driverless car springs' ... :D I was about to google that!

All incremental, nothing that is utterly ground breaking though. Yes WiTricty is exciting and break through but not at this CES ... I've been following it since it started and fully expect it from Apple in the next few years. Have to chuckle, remember all the posts here on AI stating it was nothing new and invented by Tesla! Hopefully those folks have gone back and read a bit more about the subject since then!
  • Reply 45 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Hey @digi ...

We all know what the best camera is -- the one you have with you ...

But what happens when you have both an iPhone and a top of the line pro camera (and attendant lenses, etc.) with you.

Surely, the iPhone can handle some photography-related tasks better than the camera ...

Surely, the camera can handle other photography-related tasks better than the iPhone ...

Wouldn't it be nice if each were designed to exploit the capabilities of the other when used together -- but remain functional when used standalone?

I can envision a minimal camera shell with sensors, optics, lens/accessory-attachment capability, electronic connectability * -- and little else ...

* WiFi at minimum, but direct connect preferred

I can visualize an iPhone 6S Plus ** that slides into the minimal camera shell, connects electronically, and provides all the computer, sensor, manual/automatic camera control and communication capabilities not available (too expensive or too difficult to use) in the camera ...

** the iPhone 6 Plus' size [almost] exactly matches the back of my granddaughter's Cannon

Think of the possibilities!

Just off the top of my head ... first thoughts ...

To be honest I have a feeling it is the sports car and the big truck discussion, as in each for their own purpose. I do carry both most times and will use the iPhone where appropriate but nothing beats an L lens on a high end Canon Body and a 30 MB RAW image for playing around in post for me :). That said when I don't have anything but an iPhone I am happy to use it.

It is also like comparing iPads and a new Mac Pro ... each for their own. That's why all the heated talk about any merger of iOS and OS X. I come down in favor of maintaining two OSs although welcome ever improved shared features and even think there is a middle ground, maybe a low end MBA running an A10 CPU with OS X but able to run some iOS apps. That however isn't going to edit 4K video etc. We need the trucks too.

So, a way to share between a DSLR and an iPhone, I am not sure what they could share given each is so optimized for its own strengths and weaknesses.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by otterfish View Post

Hopefully Apple gets some serious competition real soon.

Apple doesn't need competition because Apple can't become Microsoft. Apple isn't a money company.

Microsoft wanted to make money, Apple makes money not because it seeks to make money but because they seek to make great products and customers agree they are doing a good job of it.

Microsoft wanted control Apple wants to give control to the consumer.

So long as Apple continues to go the way they are currently going the only competition they need is themselves.

Apple is clearly in a transitional phase and that has created some problems. Personally I've not seen any of these problems so I'm not sure to what extent they exist but I can see that Apple is going to make a huge change to the way we think about computers and devices and they are currently laying the foundations. I have no inside knowledge or anything but I can see where the puck is going and Apple has the stick firmly in control. Apple is the only company changing computing. Samsung is a magician distracting us with smoke and mirrors while they clumsily try to steal your watches and wallets but the world has woken up to this fact and it shows.

Microsoft is trying to steal Apple's vision and to a certain extent (having played with Windows 10 and using a Windows 8 phone for work) it is working but where Microsoft is now is where Apple has been since 2010... it's now 2015 so MS can never catch up let alone surpass Apple.

All that we need to do now is sit back and let Apple take us on an intriguing ride.

• Reply 47 of 59
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I agree that Apple has upstaged the tech industry for 15 years, but upstaged the tech industry at CES?   I don't think so - it's not like Apple has released something big just before or during CES that took attention away from the show.   

How has Apple upstaged this year's CES (not that there was anything ground-breaking announced at the show)?    If Apple announced before the end of the month something like the Apple TV, that would probably upstage a lot of the CES announcements, but I don't see that happening. 

• Reply 48 of 59
    Wrong. Apple of 2015 is not like Microsoft of 1995. Apple is better than what Microst has ever been. And Apple is not a monopoly.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I agree that Apple has upstaged the tech industry for 15 years, but upstaged the tech industry at CES?   I don't think so - it's not like Apple has released something big just before or during CES that took attention away from the show.   

How has Apple upstaged this year's CES (not that there was anything ground-breaking announced at the show)?    If Apple announced before the end of the month something like the Apple TV, that would probably upstage a lot of the CES announcements, but I don't see that happening. 

Spin (aka point of view) is all a part of the process of delivering a story. They needed a story and they got a story.

• Reply 50 of 59
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Wrong. Apple of 2015 is not like Microsoft of 1995. Apple is better than what Microst has ever been. And Apple is not a monopoly.

That's not the wording the article used. 

"Apple's 2015 is looking a lot like Microsoft's 1995" conveys something very different than saying "Apple of 2015" is like "Microsoft of 1995"

• Reply 51 of 59
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member

Exactly,

Apple got to where it is by having to out-innovate everyone to survive. Now that it holds the crown, were are seeing them cut back on the cutting edge. Without real product people driving, and just having the marketing and operations people, we will continue to get safe products that fail to push the envelope, and actually get a regression of product features and capabilities aside from CPU speeds. Witness the maximum iPod storage vs. the 160GB classic & the maximum storage of a current MacBook Pro Retina vs. a 2Bay MBP 13" or 15".

Without any real competition, Apple will continue to take its foot of the gas and instead go for broader appeal, more markets and lower prices, much like every other tech market leader has done in history. This is good for the average consumer, but will continue to disappoint those who want something better. (Take the low cost 1.4GHz iMac for instance.)

• Reply 52 of 59
    This was really enjoyable. Thank you for another terrific article. Love this stuff.
  • Reply 53 of 59

What the heck was that video of the most important things that happened in technology ever? Was there any point to it? How does it tie to the Microsoft Tablet PC? Is there a punchline I missed?

• Reply 54 of 59
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Great article and I for one don't think the story, or parts of it as here, of Bill Gates and his crap company's history can ever be retold enough, lest people ever believe there ever was any technical merit involved, despite the undeniably financial success the company enjoyed for so long.

Good point.

I think the difference was Bill Gates depended on others to fulfill his vision and others depended on Microsoft to produce something that would let them.  Microsoft didn't deliver and the OEM's had to keep making money waiting ages for Microsoft to do their part, which was too little too late.  Since Apple controlled everything in house they were in a position to make the vision a reality.  (one man's opinion)

• Reply 55 of 59
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Good point.

I think the difference was Bill Gates depended on others to fulfill his vision and others depended on Microsoft to produce something that would let them.  Microsoft didn't deliver and the OEM's had to keep making money waiting ages for Microsoft to do their part, which was too little too late.  Since Apple controlled everything in house they were in a position to make the vision a reality.  (one man's opinion)

He most certainly had good ideas, but was anchored by self imposed limitations like putting a full version of Windows on tablets.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Hey @digi ...

We all know what the best camera is -- the one you have with you ...

But what happens when you have both an iPhone and a top of the line pro camera (and attendant lenses, etc.) with you.

Surely, the iPhone can handle some photography-related tasks better than the camera ...

Surely, the camera can handle other photography-related tasks better than the iPhone ...

Wouldn't it be nice if each were designed to exploit the capabilities of the other when used together -- but remain functional when used standalone?

I can envision a minimal camera shell with sensors, optics, lens/accessory-attachment capability, electronic connectability * -- and little else ...

* WiFi at minimum, but direct connect preferred

I can visualize an iPhone 6S Plus ** that slides into the minimal camera shell, connects electronically, and provides all the computer, sensor, manual/automatic camera control and communication capabilities not available (too expensive or too difficult to use) in the camera ...

** the iPhone 6 Plus' size [almost] exactly matches the back of my granddaughter's Cannon

Think of the possibilities!

Been saying and writing the exact same thing for over a year now at a number of blogs, both photo and here... so +1 from me.

Sony is the best bet to do something like this with in my opinion. Canikon will not understand what hit them. AFAIC the business of making, editing, and managing both photos and film is still wide open, and ready for a game-changer... and most of all... a game manager and visionary. Who's going to step up?!
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Just off the top of my head ... first thoughts ...

To be honest I have a feeling it is the sports car and the big truck discussion, as in each for their own purpose. I do carry both most times and will use the iPhone where appropriate but nothing beats an L lens on a high end Canon Body and a 30 MB RAW image for playing around in post for me :). That said when I don't have anything but an iPhone I am happy to use it.

It is also like comparing iPads and a new Mac Pro ... each for their own. That's why all the heated talk about any merger of iOS and OS X. I come down in favor of maintaining two OSs although welcome ever improved shared features and even think there is a middle ground, maybe a low end MBA running an A10 CPU with OS X but able to run some iOS apps. That however isn't going to edit 4K video etc. We need the trucks too.

So, a way to share between a DSLR and an iPhone, I am not sure what they could share given each is so optimized for its own strengths and weaknesses.

I'm taking a guess here, but I'd love to see proof if anyone has the time to reseach it: the Apple A6 and after is probably far more powerful than what's in a top if the line Canikon.

On a number if blogs where these duscussions come up, often due to stellar reviews of a new mirrorless or 4/3, most pros point out how the full size DSLRs fit in their hands and balance just right. Thus, the big honken heavy fast lenses seem to be literally, the anchor for a lot of folks. I thoroughly expect Sony to hit a home run though with the next version of their A7, A7R, and A7s... possibly fusioning them all into a "super mirrorless". At that point in time the only thing left is the glass to screw on it.

Note: if you haven't heard, Canon and Nikon both are rumored to be looking into launching a 50mp mid-format sensor in an SLR body this year. Both going for mega pixels rather than efficient, fast and light cameras. I think both are going to be the big losers in this new game, considering the vast majority of pictures are viewed on screens rather than in big prints, and regardless of the advantage of small cropping factors afforded with so many pixels to play with. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    One last note to my OPs: has anyone taken a look at the truly atrocious bundled software or apps for the major camera brands?! That observation more than anything else says to me they should ALL be looking for partners that understand APIs frameworks and modern software UX GUIs to power their hardware! Heck, even Microsoft or Adobe could do a better job, let alone an Apple pulling ever last bit of efficiency and underlying power out if those sensors. Just look to the iPhone or even Nokia for proof.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    lol by the "tech industry" this article clearly means "actually just Microsoft"