Apple employees love CEO Tim Cook, rate company highly on outlook, culture & values

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
A new survey of tech workers places the highest optimism at Apple, where employees believe their company will continue to have a bright future ahead of it under the leadership of Tim Cook.

UBS Evidence Lab polled employees at major tech firms and had them evaluate their workplace. The survey found that Apple was far and away the leader among companies surveyed, taking first place in all categories assessed.

As part of the poll, employees were asked about business outlook, culture, values, management, and their corporation's CEO. Analyst Steven Milunovich said he believes these "soft" factors are important, since financial reports indicate what's already been done.

Coming out particularly strong in the UBS ratings was Cook, Apple's CEO, who rated higher among employees than the rest of the company's management team.

To Milunovich, the strong assessment of Apple by its own employees bodes well for the Mac maker's future. The analyst said he was not surprised that Apple took first place among the companies polled, beating out second-place finisher EMC.

Other companies surveyed, in the order they placed, were NetApp, Cognizant, Accenture, HP, and IBM. Only HP and IBM finished below the industry average, according to UBS.

IBM, in particular, came in last in each category, with employee confidence in management especially low. Milunovich said cultural change is needed at IBM, which will take time, but he believes recent reorganization attempts may start to turn things around.

HP, meanwhile, saw a large bump in employee confidence after Meg Whitman took over as CEO. Since then, however, the PC maker has seen its outlook flatten among employees polled.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    If the stock stagnates or turns down for an extended period watch for those employees to turn on all these points rather quickly. Employee compensation, which has a large stock option component, is highly correlated to these metrics and if one falls, so does the other.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    IBM and HP below average? Good to know.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So companies like Google, Facebook and Microsoft weren't included? Not sure how much stock I put into this if Apple's competition was IBM and HP.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

If the stock stagnates or turns down for an extended period watch for those employees to turn on all these points rather quickly. Employee compensation, which has a large stock option component, is highly correlated to these metrics and if one falls, so does the other.

"Highly correlated" is highly speculative. As you have absolutely no source or evidence, you're just assuming.

Stock options for employees are optional - and if you had any idea how they worked, you would likely realise why your statement is wrong.

• Reply 5 of 21
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It's nice to be liked and better to be loved.
  • Reply 6 of 21

Is it better to be feared or respected? :smokey:

• Reply 7 of 21
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So companies like Google, Facebook and Microsoft weren't included? Not sure how much stock I put into this if Apple's competition was IBM and HP.

Until UBS Evidence Lab makes the survey public, we'll never know.

• Reply 8 of 21
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Apple is at the top of the list?  So there's nowhere to go but down?  Apple is doomed!

• Reply 9 of 21
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Tim Cook stands in front of the Taebaek Mountains.gif

• Reply 10 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

I applied for a job posted on Apple's website that I am very qualified for. Unless the offer was for executive level salary (and it wouldn't be), I wouldn't move to Cuppertino. But I applied just to be able to say I did.

• Reply 11 of 21
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    onhka wrote: »

Until UBS Evidence Lab makes the survey public, we'll never know.

Where did AI get this information from? I don't see a link in the original post and couldn't find anything on Google.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Where did AI get this information from? I don't see a link in the original post and couldn't find anything on Google.

Like most of financial reports/analysis/surveys, either directly, newswire release and/or street pickup. Either way, the full contents, i.e., protocol/methodology/results/conclusions are restricted to their directors, management, and/or specific clients in part or in whole.

In other words, the service is not free for all.

• Reply 13 of 21
    Tim Cook has truly taken on one of the hardest jobs in corporate America and succeeded. He has a dynamic team of jony Ives Phol Shiiller Etc and has sought out some of the best like Angela Arendts. Etc
    He has been confident dependable and truly showed his best with Steve Jobs. People are finally appreciating him for his leadership both in and out of the company
  • Reply 14 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As long as one has the bigger stick, I guess it doesn't matter. :)

• Reply 15 of 21
    Well, here is hoping they can fix the Wifi issues with both my Ipad Mini 2's.

Finally broke down and bought my first ever Apple products and they are almost unusable.

Never, Never had such problems with my Android devices.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Something Samsung forgot to copy.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I applied for a job posted on Apple's website that I am very qualified for. Unless the offer was for executive level salary (and it wouldn't be), I wouldn't move to Cuppertino. But I applied just to be able to say I did.

What's the point, apart from satisfying your fragile ego?

You wasted your time and the time for Apple's recruiting staff in vetting a useless application.

Plus, you can't even spell the town's name correctly. I hope you didn't put "detail oriented" on your resumé.

Appalling. 

• Reply 18 of 21
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    mvigod wrote: »

Normally I would agree, but in this case, total nonsense....
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Not surprised, Overall, Tim Cook has done a great job and he treats his employees better than before. Plenty of good stuff over the past 3.5 years: Restructuring of teams, better employee benefits, better environmental/worker record, aggressive expansion into China, iPhone 5 and 6 were both awesome, with iPhone 6 bringing us big screens, iOS 7 redesign, iOS 8 feature expansion, OS X Yosemite redesign. Mac Pro, Retina MacBooks, 5K iMac. Apple Watch, and the potential of its 2nd and 3rd generations, looks an order of magnitude better than the rivals, even if it's still unproven.

Questionable Calls: Apple Watch keynote was scattershot, John Browett as SVP of Retail, iOS 8.0.1, iOS 6 Maps, annual cadence of iOS/OS X has arguably made quality dip. Languishing products at the moment are Apple TV, Mac Mini, and iPad Mini. But you know what, Steve oversaw the G4 Cube, iPod Hi-Fi, Ping, AntennaGate, and Apple's early iDisk/MobileMe/iCloud efforts and we hold him up as infallible...
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

What's the point, apart from satisfying your fragile ego?

You wasted your time and the time for Apple's recruiting staff in vetting a useless application.

Plus, you can't even spell the town's name correctly. I hope you didn't put "detail oriented" on your resumé.

Appalling. 

To true. 

If you can't get the basics like spelling right, you're a non-starta.