Filming for Steve Jobs biopic underway at tech guru's childhood home

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Principal filming for a Steve Jobs biopic penned by Oscar-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin official started in California on Friday, with crews set up at the house where Jobs and Steve Wozniak built the first Apple computer in 1976.

Source: CNET

After years in production, film crews are on location and prepping Jobs' childhood home in Los Altos, Calif., for shooting, reports CNET. The storied garage where Jobs and Wozniak dreamed up what would become the world's largest company has been returned to 1970s form, complete with period-correct regalia like an 8-track player and requisite Bob Dylan poster.

The house was among a selection of possible locations revealed in a batch of emails leaked online after last year's Sony hack. Sorkin planned to shoot at "two auditoriums, a restaurant and a garage."

That same leak shed light on Sorkin's plans for his adaptation of Walter Isaacson's "Steve Jobs" biography. While a detailed breakdown is unavailable, previous reports claimed the story will be told across three major scenes, all of which take place before product unveilings for the first Mac, NeXT and the original iPod.

Sony picked up the rights to Walter Isaacson's Jobs biography shortly after the Apple cofounder's death in 2011, but the road to production has been slow going. Locking down a suitable cast has been particularly difficult, as multiple big-name Hollywood stars passed on leading roles, including Christian Bale, Leonardo DiCaprio and Natalie Portman. Director David Fincher disassociated himself from the movie early last year over disputed contract terms.

Sony ultimately dropped the project in November, but Universal Studios picked up the pieces days later.

Currently, Michael Fassbender is set to play Jobs, with Seth Rogen as Wozniak and Jeff Daniels as former Apple CEO John Sculley. Also rumored to be part of the cast is Kate Winslet in an unknown role -- presumably Jobs' wife, Laurene Powell-Jobs -- and Boardwalk Empire's Michael Stuhlbarg as Mac OS programmer Andy Hertzfeld.

Academy Award-winning director Danny Boyle will direct, joined by producers include Scott Rudin, Mark Gordon and Guymon Casady.

Last week, actress Perla Haney-Jardine was reportedly tapped to play Jobs' daughter Lisa, who is thought to be a pivotal character in Sorkin's retelling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

Samsung will be watching every frame of this, trying to analyze Jobs's secrets. I'm surprised they haven't hired Woz yet.

• Reply 2 of 20
    Samsung will be watching every frame of this, trying to analyze Jobs's secrets. I'm surprised they haven't hired Woz yet.

Yes, but as long as they're not aping Apple! :)
  • Reply 3 of 20
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    Pirates of Silicon Valley
  • Reply 4 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I'd be shocked if Jobs had an 8-track player around. If ever there was a trailer trash platform, that was it. I never knew anyone who fell for that format. The cassettes looked like garbage when they were new.

"Period correct regalia" is the problem with this genre. Every scene will have a few choice items in it, and many will be wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    flaneur wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Jobs had an 8-track player around. If ever there was a trailer trash platform, that was it. I never knew anyone who fell for that format. The cassettes looked like garbage when they were new.

"Period correct regalia" is the problem with this genre. Every scene will have a few choice items in it, and many will be wrong.

He had a TEAC reel-to-reel from what I know of.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    This film hasn't been in "production" for years. Production is when shooting actually starts. Before that, it's pre-production.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Good luck to all involved- hopefully not another Saving Mr Banks.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    flaneur wrote: »
    Sometimes they actually get it very right. Many set decorators actually lived through these periods and know first hand what is right and what is not. Let's hope that is the case this time.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

At the time it was the best audio quality you could get in a car and extremely popular. I don't recall seeing many home 8-track decks though.

• Reply 10 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

He had a TEAC reel-to-reel from what I know of.

If you look closely at the photo above you will see the reel to reel in the back of the garage.

• Reply 11 of 20
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I used to be excited about this.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

You're getting old.

Don't worry, it happens to all of us at some point. Welcome to Club Curmudgeon!

• Reply 13 of 20
    Producer Scott Rudin is one of the Sony folk caught making racist comments about President Obama and others. He had to write an apology to the President. You'd think that as a faggot he'd be a little more sensitive to this kind of commentary. Rudin in a jagoff. I'm not worried about it getting back to him.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Poor Woz being played by a pot headed goof who can't act. I wonder what he must think.  Bad casting. Did Jonah Hill turn this one down?

• Reply 15 of 20
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Good luck to all involved- hopefully not another Saving Mr Banks.

With any luck it'll be as good as Mr. Popper's Penguins. /s
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Poor Woz being played by a pot headed goof who can't act. I wonder what he must think.  Bad casting. Did Jonah Hill turn this one down?

Seth Rogan has been acting for quite a long time. I'm sure he'll be fine, however it's my understanding that Woz never used drugs.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Must be great to be borderline funny.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Must be great to be borderline funny, and Jewish.

Perhaps.

Better to be Christian, though.
  • Reply 19 of 20

Aaron Sorkin - with this man writing the dialog, etc should be good - don't watch much mainstream TV but he did an awesome job on the West Wing series.

• Reply 20 of 20
    pte apple wrote: »
    Aaron Sorkin - with this man writing the dialog, etc should be good - don't watch much mainstream TV but he did an awesome job on the West Wing series.

Agree. This guy is head and shoulders when it comes to dialogue and thematic elements. He writes up to the audience instead of down to it. He writes for college-educated adults, which is why many don't like him. My only quibble; the content is so rich and dense and comes at you so fast. Thank god for TiVo reverse.