The road ahead: 3 ways Apple could push Maps forward with iOS 9 in 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Sukalewski View Post

I wonder if anybody at Apple ever actually uses their Maps for driving on a route that they don't know. The original maps was superior in that the user could pan the map to see what was coming; i.e. a Left followed by a Right turn. Waze allows this, but for some stupid reason rotates the map as you zoom out which is disorientating & make no sense

Also the "overview" was out to the current location to the the end, not the complete route which becomes useless to see at that point.

I wish there was a button to map "Directions to Here" by the address of a Contact; instead of needing 4 clicks.

Lastly, one of the things I like best about Waze if the larger font, so I can quickly glance at the ETA while driving to tell my client. The Apple font is so small and with little contrast that I can't glance quickly.

I see only 2 clicks to to start a route to a contacts address. If you are in the navigation mode just ask Siri "when will I get there?" she will tell you how the amount of time. If you're phone is plugged into power just say "Hey Siri when will I get there?" You don't even have to pick up your phone. (iOS 8)

• Reply 22 of 97
    For the life of me, I can't locate Advanced > Lock north up, nor anything similar
  • Reply 23 of 97
    gbdoc wrote: »
    I wonder if Apple's hookup with TomTom isn't part of the problem; I don't know if it's still in place. TomTom was once a great, innovative company, with very good hardware, software, and data. That seems to have changed over the years - just take a look at the complaints in the TomTom user forums, and how unresponsive the company is.

The problem is that TomTom uses Tele Atlas map data. Tele Atlas is a company from the Netherlands. If you live in Europe you want your GPS to use Tele Atlas map data.

Garmin uses Navteq, an American (Chicago-based) mapping company. If you live in the US you want your map data to come from Navteq.

Yes, Tele Atlas has mapping data of the US. But, if you live in the US, would you want your map data to come from a Netherlands-based company or an Amarican company?
  • Reply 24 of 97
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Search is indeed not working in the current iteration. Either you type the exact street name (including prefixes, dashes, etc) or Maps doesn't find it. Completely unusable.

Also missing from the list: international users. Apple is a worldwide player so it has to focus on international markets as well. I don't believe for a second iOS 9 will offer public transport information outside the US.

Maybe, just maybe, it will offer Siri driving directions in some more languages.

In the mean time, I'm happy driving around with Waze, and sharing my traffic info with...Google.
  • Reply 25 of 97

Thanks - very helpful. Wish Waze would make this the default.

• Reply 26 of 97

Siri never seems to get more than 75% of my commands correct (which is a big annoyance when texting, as I can't edit the text first if I use Siri - although I can if I use the mic function from the keyboard).

As of the clicks. After opening the contact:

1st to show the address on the Map

2nd to click on the name which opens the contact & then scroll down to "Directions to here" 

3rd Click on Directions to Here

4th Click on Route which shows the overview

5 click Start

• Reply 27 of 97
    knowitall wrote: »
    It would be nice if the hundreds of billions that go to waste right now are used for a network of satellites showing realtime video of the earth and giving connections everywhere.
    Would be a big premium for iOS.

Pretty sure the military has that already.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    Apple Maps is Still embarrassingly inaccurate:(
    I was hoping when I upgraded to iOS8 on iPhone 6 I would be able to use Public Trans.

Apple Maps STILL can't find places I know exeist, and what is really bad is that I tell it where to look or give an entire name and it stall can't find them!!

It is the worst flaw in Apple software I have ever seen, and Maps are critical. Maps (generally speaking) is one of the most valuable Apps there is.

I only hope that Apple has BIG and timely plans to improve it and make it a Go-To app.
  • Reply 29 of 97
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Have you actually used a built in vehicle navigation system? The maps stink compared to Apple's Maps. The main problem is it is a big pain to update the maps, and often the systems are underpowered. I think Apple has spent a lot of time fixing data and the effort shows.

But the new upstart *has* to be a lot better than the incumbent.

• Reply 30 of 97
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    crowdsourced traffic data, sounds really safe huh? a bunch of crash-waiting-to-happen drones, reporting on crashes that have already happened, brilliant
  • Reply 31 of 97
    Quote:
    your iPhone could analyze the signal strength of Wi-Fi networks around your house to determine approximately how far you are from each access point. 

You talk as if you can't do that already? It doesn't SHOW your location well, but it locates you VERY well with wifi.

I use it with Find my Friends to find my wife in shopping centres.

There are at least 3 problems with Apple's current implementation:

1) there's no 3D map ability to show me different floors on the map - so I could be straight above or below her

2) it doesn't overlay a map of the shopping centre to show me shops or layouts

3) it doesn't show me what direction I'm pointing

So it ends up working like "find my friends" IF you didn't have a street map overlaying it.

Basically I can zoom into a big yellow map-blob (which is the shopping centre). I can see my wife's phone dot and my own, and if I know which direction I'm facing in the shopping centre I can walk towards her. I see her moving and can adjust.

Not to defend Apple. The implementation is pathetic. But the wifi location bit works, it's the REST which doesn't.

• Reply 32 of 97
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    I've submitted multiple request to update a local interstate that changed numbers.. Google had the change done in a few days.. It's been close to a year, and Apple still hasn't changed it..
  • Reply 33 of 97
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Wish I could import my .gpx files from running, cycling, swimming.
  • Reply 34 of 97
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Here is what I see problems with Apple Maps (some of the top of my head):

1. Apple is proprietary - I don't believe they have a web-based map like Google to use on any computer. Now it is iOS or OS X.

2. Lack of trails tracking - We have a nice interurban trail near my house. Apple Maps doesn't know about it. Google is much better at routes and alternative routes.

3. Apple search is focused on specificity (Google is the opposite: more like guessing). So, if you don't type something VERY specific, you will not get the answer you are looking for. Google is much better at "guessing" what you may be looking for.

4. Apple maps is not "connected". Google is great: I tell where I live and work and it is fully integrated with gmail account. Apple is very disjointed. Sorry, Apple is more and more a Microsoft company.

5. Traffic not so great on Apple

6. Streetview - sorry, I use it a lot

7. Transit - fail for Apple, although they do have their workaround.

As for accuracy, Apple and Google are, in my limited use, equally accurate/inaccurate. I hardly use Apple Maps, but when I have double-checked some things, I have found Google to be as right or as wrong as Apple. When I tried to find car repair in town, Google was way off. Apple was spot on. When I was trying to find my daughter's office in DC, Google led me around a park and said her office was at the the bus stop. Apple was spot on.

Overall, much prefer Google maps. Not so much of their head start. I think Apple could have caught up on basic, fundamental, useful stuff. Who gives a crap about inside a building as Inkling said, we want to know how to get there.

Old maps with Google and Apple partnering was awesome. Google has the info and Apple has the very tasteful and wonderful interface. Traveling around SF by foot and transit was a pure joy a few years ago on the iPhone.

Anyway, said it before, but for all Apple talks about integration, much of their business, for the user, is a pure mess. Google has it nailed.

Apple seems to have lost its focus on what users want. They seem focused on what they think is cool or useful - not always, but seems like it is happening more, such as the annual, mind-numbing updates to iOS and OS X. It's all a blur now on what's what. Before you could remember what each release brought. Now you can't even remember the names of the releases.

Hope Apple gets street view. They can afford to license from Google or spend a couple of billion on it, or at least get transit going and fix be less "proprietary".

Apple fan since 1981...Apple Mac user since 1990...

• Reply 35 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thman View Post

I was hoping when I upgraded to iOS8 on iPhone 6 I would be able to use Public Trans.

Apple Maps STILL can't find places I know exeist, and what is really bad is that I tell it where to look or give an entire name and it stall can't find them!!

It is the worst flaw in Apple software I have ever seen, and Maps are critical. Maps (generally speaking) is one of the most valuable Apps there is.

I only hope that Apple has BIG and timely plans to improve it and make it a Go-To app.

They don't use crowdsource data like Google. Google is the king at guessing and offering suggestion based on past user input.

• Reply 36 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thman View Post

This tells you they still do not have their act together and need to pronto do something about it yesterday.

Services is a fail with Apple. 

Someone should have sat down and drew out a simple plan on how to do services years ago. Not even an architecture, but simply drew something in Visio or on paper and said, this is how it will all work. And this is how we will address customer concerns.

Sadly, Apple has some blind spots with customers. That includes services and hardware failures.

Gee, I hope my iPhone 6+ cable will hold up. We've replaced 4 on our 4 iPhone 5s...

• Reply 37 of 97
    knowitall wrote: »
    It would be nice if the hundreds of billions that go to waste right now are used for a network of satellites showing realtime video of the earth and giving connections everywhere.
    Would be a big premium for iOS.

Move over Narcissus. KnowItall is here to crap up the room and fill up that pool of self-loving.
  • Reply 38 of 97
    pfisher wrote: »
    8thman wrote: »

This tells you they still do not have their act together and need to pronto do something about it yesterday.

Services is a fail with Apple. 

Someone should have sat down and drew out a simple plan on how to do services years ago. Not even an architecture, but simply drew something in Visio or on paper and said, this is how it will all work. And this is how we will address customer concerns.

Sadly, Apple has some blind spots with customers. That includes services and hardware failures.

Gee, I hope my iPhone 6+ cable will hold up. We've replaced 4 on our 4 iPhone 5s...

It doesn't take much to look after a cable, but some people still have a problem.
  • Reply 39 of 97
    pfisher wrote: »
    Here is what I see problems with Apple Maps (some of the top of my head):

1. Apple is proprietary - I don't believe they have a web-based map like Google to use on any computer. Now it is iOS or OS X.
    2. Lack of trails tracking - We have a nice interurban trail near my house. Apple Maps doesn't know about it. Google is much better at routes and alternative routes.
    3. Apple search is focused on specificity (Google is the opposite: more like guessing). So, if you don't type something VERY specific, you will not get the answer you are looking for. Google is much better at "guessing" what you may be looking for.
    4. Apple maps is not "connected". Google is great: I tell where I live and work and it is fully integrated with gmail account. Apple is very disjointed. Sorry, Apple is more and more a Microsoft company.
    5. Traffic not so great on Apple
    6. Streetview - sorry, I use it a lot
    7. Transit - fail for Apple, although they do have their workaround.

As for accuracy, Apple and Google are, in my limited use, equally accurate/inaccurate. I hardly use Apple Maps, but when I have double-checked some things, I have found Google to be as right or as wrong as Apple. When I tried to find car repair in town, Google was way off. Apple was spot on. When I was trying to find my daughter's office in DC, Google led me around a park and said her office was at the the bus stop. Apple was spot on.

Overall, much prefer Google maps. Not so much of their head start. I think Apple could have caught up on basic, fundamental, useful stuff. Who gives a crap about inside a building as Inkling said, we want to know how to get there.

Old maps with Google and Apple partnering was awesome. Google has the info and Apple has the very tasteful and wonderful interface. Traveling around SF by foot and transit was a pure joy a few years ago on the iPhone.

Anyway, said it before, but for all Apple talks about integration, much of their business, for the user, is a pure mess. Google has it nailed.

Apple seems to have lost its focus on what users want. They seem focused on what they think is cool or useful - not always, but seems like it is happening more, such as the annual, mind-numbing updates to iOS and OS X. It's all a blur now on what's what. Before you could remember what each release brought. Now you can't even remember the names of the releases.

Hope Apple gets street view. They can afford to license from Google or spend a couple of billion on it, or at least get transit going and fix be less "proprietary".

Apple fan since 1981...Apple Mac user since 1990...

I see you're getting older.

Happens to us all.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Move over Narcissus. KnowItall is here to crap up the room and fill up that pool of self-loving.

That's a lot of data, for sure. Sky net.