Sid Meier's Starships coming to Mac and iPad, Google's new Calendar app for iOS shown in screenshots

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Legendary game designer Sid Meier is set to release his newest turn-based game later this spring with support for Apple's Mac and iPad, while Google's forthcoming Google Calendar app for iOS --?the first Google-designed native app for the web calendar service -- has been detailed in new, leaked screenshots.

Sid Meier's Starships is an "interstellar strategy game" that puts players in control of a fleet of starships, according to Gamespot. They are tasked with exploring the galaxy, forming alliances, and completing missions.

Meier told the publication that Starships represents the next step after Civilization: Beyond Earth, in which players explore and colonize a new world.

"When designing Starships, I was intrigued by the idea of exploring the next chapter in the story of Civilization: Beyond Earth," Meier said. "What happens after we colonize our new home and eventually build starships to take to the stars? What has become of our long-lost brothers and sisters from the planet Earth?"

Players of both Starships and Beyond Earth will reportedly be able to play against each other eventually, though details remain scarce. The game is due out in the first quarter of this year, and pricing is not yet available.

Google, meanwhile, will bring its "material design" language to iOS with an all-new Google Calendar app. Revealed in screenshots published by TheNextWeb, the app appears to feature deep integration with other Google services, such as Gmail and Google Now.

In addition to pulling data on things like flight and restaurant reservations from Gmail, Google Calendar for iOS will also automatically insert photos and maps into calendar entries. There is no word yet on availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I like the idea of a good Google Calendar app for iOS---but until Google incorporates group contact lists into its GMail app---I probably won't migrate from native iOS apps to Google apps.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Starship game sounds like my type of game.

As for Google...im waiting for Apple search to relieve me of the last Google product I actively use

I can't see Google Calender.  Just what people need, Google tracking what someone is doing each day by the hour even.   To me, that's going a little far.  What's wrong with Apples?!?!   I dropped Google Search for the most part and now use DuckDuckGo!!!  That's now my default for my iPhone and iPad and my PC's.   I get the Info I need without a ton of Ads like on Google.  Google does has a few bells and whistles, but it's just not worth it anymore.   I don't have a problem with anyone else using their services if they want to.   Google Maps has some features Apple Map still lacks, but there are also 3rd party options.   I don't go out of my way to avoid Google.  I just don't feel the need to use them much these days.

• Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iwarriorpoet View Post

I like the idea of a good Google Calendar app for iOS---but until Google incorporates group contact lists into its GMail app---I probably won't migrate from native iOS apps to Google apps.

Does this work for you?

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/30970?hl=en

• Reply 4 of 9
    The link you posted looks like it refers to the accessing Gmail via the web, not the iOS app.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Starship game sounds like my type of game.

Me too..... if well implemented. I just hope it isn't overly dumbed down. 

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iwarriorpoet View Post

The link you posted looks like it refers to the accessing Gmail via the web, not the iOS app.

Yeah, you're right. I assumed that a Google contact group would be recognized across all Google apps on all devices, but it doesn't. That sucks.

• Reply 7 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    is this any better?
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contacts-sync-for-google-gmail/id454390333?mt=8
  • Reply 8 of 9
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They finally found a way to make 1UPT work. Use ships, and it's space so no terrain around that the AI can't handle.