Apple highlights ongoing Campus 2 'spaceship' progress in new aerial photos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Apple on Monday provided a fresh photo of its Campus 2 construction site in Cupertino, Calif., showing accelerated progress on the main "spaceship" structure's foundation, as well as work on ancillary buildings.

The latest aerial shot was uploaded to the City of Cupertino's website as part of a weekly Campus 2 construction update. As Apple is building next to residential areas, the city posts regular status updates to inform residents about constantly changing traffic conditions.

Currently, Campus 2 neighbors are dealing with daily road closures on main thoroughfares running the perimeter of Apple's construction site, while a large section of Pruneridge Ave. is completely closed to traffic.

As illustrated in exclusive AppleInsider drone footage last month, construction crews worked through tough winter weather to completely cover the foundation that will serve as a base for Apple's main ring-shaped building. That process began months ago with land clearing, excavation and tunneling on grounds once owned by Hewlett-Packard.

Work on a $161 million underground theater is also coming along nicely, though it appears most attention is being paid to the main headquarters building. Apple CEO Tim Cook said in 2013 that he expects to move into the brand new HQ by 2016.

Apple's Campus 2 project was submitted by late cofounder Steve Jobs in 2011, just months before his passing. Jobs, who worked alongside architectural firm Foster+Partners in project planning and design, dreamed of returning a substantial portion of the once concrete-covered lot back to the orchard-filled California landscape of his childhood.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

I'll bet that all of the necessary facilities are in place to service a central tower, if it ever comes to that. Imagine Apple ten times bigger that now. :rolleyes: 

• Reply 2 of 12
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I'll bet that all of the necessary facilities are in place to service a central tower, if it ever comes to that. Imagine Apple ten times bigger that now. :rolleyes: 

Sooo...worth more than 6 trillion adjusted dollars?

That would take, not imagination, but hallucination.

(Unless you simply meant building size...but even then... .)

• Reply 3 of 12
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I hope they have a better contractor than the one who built my house.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Yeah, they're using Gino and Brian down the block. A bit pricey but reliable guys.

• Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Yeah, they're using Gino and Brian down the block. A bit pricey but reliable guys.

Lol.

• Reply 6 of 12

Imagine how large the ring would have been if they had been able to buy that collection of apartments and get the whole plot of land they wanted.

• Reply 7 of 12
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Imagine how large the ring would have been if they had been able to buy that collection of apartments and get the whole plot of land they wanted.

Without knowing the circumstances, I suppose that at least some apartments are separately, privately owned (as opposed to being leased from a single owner). Their values should appreciate considerably upon completion of Apple's new HQ.

• Reply 8 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ Not necessarily.  Entirely possible that the environment will end up noisier, more light pollution, and a whole lot more traffic. It might even be the case that the campus is an imposing eyesore from certain angles.  Value could even go down.

Said with a big pinch of salt, as I'm sure it'll be an improvement over the previous HP industrial park, but you never know, especially with the traffic issue, which IIRC was a concern at the Cupertino planning permission presentation.

• Reply 9 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think it is that big of a deal. If Apple really wanted that land, they certainly would have made an offer that could not be refused. If they really needed more office space they could have designed the building with one more floor and also one more floor to the parking garage. A larger circumference might not have had the desired balance of inner atrium space to office space so they may not have made it any larger even if they had that land.

They still have Phase II and a lot of land on the other side of the interstate which, as far as I know, they have not made any announcement as to exactly what they have planned there.

• Reply 10 of 12
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If Apple really wanted that land, they certainly would have made an offer that could not be refused.

Steve said they wanted it but people wouldn’t sell.

• Reply 11 of 12
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">If Apple really wanted that land, they certainly would have made an offer that could not be refused.</span>

Steve said they wanted it but people wouldn’t sell.

I don't think Apple felt obliged to buy up the land and sell the people who lived on it. The people don't come with the land.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

The neighbors are going to make bank when they sell.