Zions Bancorp, Huntington Bank headline 16 new Apple Pay issuers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Apple on Tuesday added 16 new bank and credit union partners for its Apple Pay mobile payments service, including brands from 2 of the 50 largest U.S. bank holding companies with Zions Bancorp and Huntington Bancshares.

Six of the new additions are made up of Zions Bancorp's subsidiaries --?Amegy Bank of Texas, California Bank & Trust, Nevada State Bank, National Bank of Arizona, Vectra Bank, and Zions First National Bank. Huntington's only retail banking affiliate, Huntington Bank, also came on board.

Between them, Zions Bancorp and Huntington Bancshares count more than 2 million customers with assets totaling more than $100 billion. They are the 38th and 36th largest bank holding corporations in the country, according to the Federal Reserve.

Other new partners include A+ Federal Credit Union, Bethpage Federal Credit Union, Connex Credit Union, Goldenwest FCU, Huntington Bank, KeyPoint Credit Union, Meijer Credit Union, TCF National Bank, and The Bank of Greene County.

Apple now counts some 54 participating issuers for Apple Pay. The company added eight more financial institutions earlier this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Head 'em up, move 'em on

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Keep them dogies rollin'

Hyaa!

• Reply 2 of 19

Rawhide!

• Reply 3 of 19

My CU sent out another thing saying they're close.

• Reply 4 of 19
    Need more merchants.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Adding more banks is great..but what good would that be if I can't use it in a lot of places..They got the biggest banks on board which is good but Apple needs to get more retailers..merchants on board as well more small businesses..
  • Reply 6 of 19
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    My CU sent out another thing saying they're close.

That's kind of amazing. The only reasons I can think to do that are 1) they are getting a lot of people asking about it, and/or 2) people are threatening to switch to a different banking service because of it. I'd lean heavily toward the former, but either way it's impressive for them to send out this email about a new service from one manufacturer on their newest devices.

wurm5150 wrote: »
    Adding more banks is great..but what good would that be if I can't use it in a lot of places..They got the biggest banks on board which is good but Apple needs to get more retailers..merchants on board as well more small businesses..

That's a chicken and egg problem as it also wouldn't be useful if all the merchants were on board but no banks supported it. Something has to get the ball rolling, and that start has been the demise of many great technologies over the years. Remember that ?Pay is still very, very new. I see no reason to think it's not going to be nearly as common as CCs within 3 years in the US.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

That's kind of amazing. The only reasons I can think to do that are 1) they are getting a lot of people asking about it, and/or 2) people are threatening to switch to a different banking service because of it. I'd lean heavily toward the former, but either way it's impressive for them to send out this email about a new service from one manufacturer on their newest devices.

The day after ?Pay went live they had a thing up on the website, then there was an email, and now there's another post on the website. I've asked on occasion when I call in to take care of things.

And they just added the ability to use a smartphone for check deposits late last year, so they're well ahead of their usual tech adoption schedule.

http://www.pimafcu.org/apple-pay

• Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Any buisness that has NFC. (unless IT has purposely locked ApplePay out. (and why would they do that? {unless they don't like money})

• Reply 9 of 19
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    wurm5150 wrote: »

You can use it pretty much everywhere that has PayPass. So basically most places outside the US, and only places inside the US that have replaced their credit card POS systems in the last 3 years.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That's a chicken and egg problem as it also wouldn't be useful if all the merchants were on board but no banks supported it. Something has to get the ball rolling, and that start has been the demise of many great technologies over the years. Remember that ?Pay is still very, very new. I see no reason to think it's not going to be nearly as common as CCs within 3 years in the US.

In Canada we had the smartcard readers for like a decade before EMV actually came out, so a lot of that first generation equipment never got used. NFC Paypass/Paywave on the other hand the credit cards were available before the POS systems were, but only by about a year. There are still some places that have older equipment which are chip+pin only, but absolutely nobody uses the swipe card here.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Yes! You can use apple pay at any business that has an NFC, home depot, toy are us, kangaroo gas stations, are a few. enmarks are lock by IT
  • Reply 12 of 19
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I'm still waiting on my bank for Apple Pay. I'm pretty happy the grocery store chain in my area will start accepting Apple Pay soon. 

• Reply 13 of 19
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    We need seriouse push for more merchants to support it.
    I love using my apple pay.. Want to use it all tye time but so few places that support it !
  • Reply 14 of 19
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    We need seriouse push for more merchants to support it.
    I love using my apple pay.. Want to use it all tye time but so few places that support it !
    Amen, been using it from the jump. But still using it at the same merchants (Stater Bros. Markets, McDonalds). No new ones added since the start for me. Some say they are (Chevron) but are snail slow in rolling it out. Apple had the big banks/cards from the start, probably 79% of the card business, but still less than 10% of merchants. Hardly chicken-egg anymore. Lots of chicken, not much egg.

Not blaming Apple, just the a-hole merchants who are foot-dragging because they want their own competing systems up and running.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

KeyPoint CU won't flip the Apple Pay switch for their debit cards until January 26th. This appears to be the first phase of a two-stage rollout of new data services providing more features and security.

The following weekend much of KeyPoint will be inaccessible (branches, online banking, etc.) although previously scheduled tasks (automated bill payment, etc.) will be processed. Debit and credit cards will continue to work, as will KeyPoint CU ATMs.

• Reply 16 of 19
    In the last 5 days at check out registers, I've asked the cashiers if they take ApplePay. Many don't even know what it is. I suggested they ask their manager when they are getting it. Finally, used it first time at Sprouts market.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

In the last 5 days at check out registers, I've asked the cashiers if they take ApplePay. Many don't even know what it is. I suggested they ask their manager when they are getting it. Finally, used it first time at Sprouts market.

Luuuv Sprouts.

I do not yet have a iPhone 6. But if I did, I would run ApplePay through every NFC terminal that I came upon. It either would work (most likely), or it wouldn't. No harm; no foul.

Don't bother with asking a cashier. (wadda they know?)

• Reply 18 of 19
    Need more merchants.

Need more countries.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    bobschlob wrote: »
    kellya74u wrote: »

Luuuv Sprouts.

I do not yet have a iPhone 6. But if I did, I would run ApplePay through every NFC terminal that I came upon. It <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">either </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">would work</span>
    [SIZE=12px](most likely)[/SIZE]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">, or it wouldn't. No harm; no foul.</span>

Don't bother with asking a cashier. (wadda they know?)

I love sprouts, too. The Brussel variety.