TAG Heuer CEO calls Apple Watch biggest threat to traditional timepieces, says likely to wear one

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    relic wrote: »
    I honestly don't get it, putting the horrendous battery life aside, lack of a wireless charging option and with it's just okay looks I have never not wanted something from Apple so bad. As a woman, why would I want to own a piece of jewelry that everyone is going to own as well in the next few months, where is the exclusivity. I'll mess around with the idea of getting a Smart Watch when you won't be able to tell that there is actually a Smart function on top of the mechanical part, half the thickness and lasts for a week on a charge, how about just for three days, can we at least start there. I truly believe that these will start out strong but loose their appeal quickly once people start getting tired of plugging the darn things in every night and come to realize that they aren't actually using them for anything other than checking the time. I'm to old for such toys anyway, a 40 year old shouldn't be wearing such silly things, it's a teenager gadget.

Like you were saying about iOS in the other thread, it's not for you. The watch is probably going to be most useful for people who go out in the urban world every day and interact with it in lots of little ways, sort of like the way you interact with your stunning array of tools at home.

No one has grasped the charging part of the experience yet, but I will let you in on the secret, which I'm sure you will get conceptually better than anybody. The method, remember, is inductive, and Apple will be furnishing a little charging stand or apparatus for the watch. You will just hold the watch in the approximate position, and snick!, a magnet will grab the watch in its field and snap it into position. I will bet you that Ive and crew spent hundreds of hours refining this moment of tactile satisfaction, with its quasi-erotic overtones, so that the user will enjoy putting his or her little wrist communicator into its magnetic embrace for the night. If you can't imagine this working on a deep psychological level, then no one else will, and I'll just quietly wait to see if it turns out this way. But I caution you and others not to complain too much in advance about this imagined nightly charging burden.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Not necessarily, maybe he is just wearing it to learn from it.

Hopefully his customer base feels the same way when they see him wearing it.

• Reply 23 of 63
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Like you were saying about iOS in the other thread, it's not for you. The watch is probably going to be most useful for people who go out in the urban world every day and interact with it in lots of little ways, sort of like the way you interact with your stunning array of tools at home.

No one has grasped the charging part of the experience yet, but I will let you in on the secret, which I'm sure you will get conceptually better than anybody. The method, remember, is inductive, and Apple will be furnishing a little charging stand or apparatus for the watch. You will just hold the watch in the approximate position, and snick!, a magnet will grab the watch in its field and snap it into position. I will bet you that Ive and crew spent hundreds of hours refining this moment of tactile satisfaction, with its quasi-erotic overtones, so that the user will enjoy putting his or her little wrist communicator into its magnetic embrace for the night. If you can't imagine this working on a deep hological level, then no one else will, and I'll just quietly wait to see if it turns out this way. But I caution you and others not to complain too much in advance about this imagined nightly charging burden.

Fair enough, I know I will never own one though. Will most likely be buying them for my kids and the rest of the children within the family. I can bet money on them ending up in a drawer some where.

• Reply 24 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

The problem for TAG Hauer is that Apple is gunning exactly for its territory: the $1000-$3000 watch market. And Apple has both the design and technical expertise to completely dominate. Apple can create the whole widget. No Swiss watch company can do this at all.

Not really, Apple is gunning the territory of $300 to $5000. Yup, Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Tissol, Hamilton, Movado, Swiss Army will also be impacted by it. Somehow, Omega may be hit too by the gold Apple Watch. Damn, Apple Watch will disrupt the watch market just like Ive said: Swiss watch is fcked. I just can't imagine that Apple last production announcement was so disruptive to many markets: Phablet, Watch, E. Payment...iPhone 6/6+ are destroy smartphones out there especially phablet market while Apple Pay took over entire wireless payments. In 2 months, Apple Watch will disrupt the watch market badly...Long AAPL.

• Reply 25 of 63
    Fair enough, I know I will never own one though. Will most likely be buying them for my kids and the rest of the children within the family. I can bet money on them ending up in a drawer some where.

First: I'm very happy to see you posting again!

Second: Wow! I'm extremely surprised to see such a lack of tech curiosity... and flat out announcements of "never" on you your part!?!

What happened?! I read your recent disappointments with iOS the other day, and thought to myself, "you go gir!". Because you actually have the stuff and the time to make very valuable assessments of a multitude of systems and tech toys playing nice with each other. We and Apple can all learn from that.

In this instance, no one (including you) knows what the launch day ?Watch does or does not do, how much it costs, what accessories and features will be available at launch. I have to agree with @Flaneur, many of us might have our perceptions changed drastically if Apple has a last minute, "One More Thing™" secret they've been holding back from telling the world, making your statement of "never" rather shortsighted and jumping the gun for such a devoted Technologist Geek as yourself, wouldn't you say?

Regardless: great to see ya healthy, home, and full of spirit once again!!!.... :smokey:
  • Reply 26 of 63
    flaneur wrote: »

No one has grasped the charging part of the experience yet, but I will let you in on the secret, which I'm sure you will get conceptually better than anybody. The method, remember, is inductive, and Apple will be furnishing a little charging stand or apparatus for the watch. You will just hold the watch in the approximate position, and snick!, a magnet will grab the watch in its field and snap it into position. I will bet you that Ive and crew spent hundreds of hours refining this moment of tactile satisfaction, with its quasi-erotic overtones, so that the user will enjoy putting his or her little wrist communicator into its magnetic embrace for the night. If you can't imagine this working on a deep psychological level, then no one else will, and I'll just quietly wait to see if it turns out this way. But I caution you and others not to complain too much in advance about this imagined nightly charging burden.

+1...might I add: ...or anything else about the ?Watch that was presented last year.

I firmly believe that there's going to be a lot more to this product than what we've seen so far, including partnerships with traditional timepiece makers like TAG Heuer. That CEO did NOT just do 180-degree pivot on his own or from what "we peons know" about the ?Watch. He's privy to far more than he's letting on to.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    I honestly don't get it, putting the horrendous battery life aside, lack of a wireless charging option and with it's just okay looks I have never not wanted something from Apple so bad. As a woman, why would I want to own a piece of jewelry that everyone is going to own as well in the next few months, where is the exclusivity. I'll mess around with the idea of getting a Smart Watch when you won't be able to tell that there is actually a Smart function on top of the mechanical part, half the thickness and lasts for a week on a charge, how about just for three days, can we at least start there. I truly believe that these will start out strong but loose their appeal quickly once people start getting tired of plugging the darn things in every night and come to realize that they aren't actually using them for anything other than checking the time. I'm to old for such toys anyway, a 40 year old shouldn't be wearing such silly things, it's a teenager gadget.

I agree.

There's something odd about Biver's about-turn.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,036member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Could be that TAG licenses watch faces to Apple for use on the Apple Watch? Seems unlikely, but who knows?

That's exactly what I thought.  He's a watchmaker who will wear an AppleWatch, what else could he mean?  Until I got to the end of the article.  I guess he'll have something on both wrists, but it sounds like he's acknowledging the likely failure of his upcoming product.

• Reply 29 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

One wonders how the Chronometer survived its many, many years of development in Britain, only to be produced in the hundreds for what was the  most powerful Navy in the world for nearly two centuries. That Switzerland has a thriving business manufacturing mechanical watches as a fashion statement, is really not all that different from South Africa and the diamond industry creating the culture of wedding jewelry. 

These are both cultures ripe for disruption, but I do agree with you that it is the youth of today that will be pushing that disruption, not seniors as myself; I haven't worn a watch in decades. Neither watches nor rings are compatible with my environment.

• Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Show he is smart.

Not really...the SMART thing would have been to keep his mouth shut IN THE FIRST PLACE! 

IMHO, this guy is about as dumb as can be!  First, you go on record to crap on Watch...now, you go on record saying how great it is.  Basically, you show incompetence in your thought process...and as CEO of a company, isn't that the worst thing you can do?  Showing that you reverse your thought within 3 months show your lack of understanding of the market which he is in.

• Reply 31 of 63
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It's Chinese made.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I don't wear watch, since the first day I get my first cellphone.
    But I will wear %uF8FFWatch
    And for a simple reason: I can use credit card with it. Other watches don't.
    It's 21st century. Time keeping are no longer needed, please put other functions in it. (But no high speed dual core or above, or GSM. It's not a heat sink or antenna. )

You must shop a lot. Or have very weak hands.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    cpsro wrote: »
    TAG Heuer has entered into a partnership with Apple. 

Wouldn't that be interesting. Apple could then get a piece of the even more expensive high end market.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Welcome aboard, sir.

(As to partnerships with TH -- there's no such thing. Period.)
  • Reply 35 of 63

Yeah, biometrics is such a teenager thing.... What's Apple thinking!? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 36 of 63
    most likely, he watched the launch and decided he could do much better and voiced his opinion.

He then did his research and suddenly realised how much work needs to go into creating this device and its links to the phone. Time to re-evaluate comments and correct.

Fair play to him. Definitely the opposite to Balmer.

Either this or Tim put a brown envelope with a billion in it on his desk and "forgot" to pick it up as he left !!! :-)
  • Reply 37 of 63
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Could be that TAG licenses watch faces to Apple for use on the Apple Watch? Seems unlikely, but who knows?

Yes, this is plausible.

Remember the Swiss Railway clockface issue?

Other licensees could do the same licensing and catapult the AppleWatch even higher in the fashion world, something no one else (in the cell phone world) appears able to do right now.

I also believe the AppleWatch will have much better battery life than the (leaked) rumors of single day (because of the integrated S1 module and because it has no cell phone modem in it). A week-long battery life could be the "Just one more thing" part of the official unveiling.

• Reply 38 of 63
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

So, you're "supposed" to be someone very technical, but pull out something right out of thin air like "horrendous battery life".... That makes me doubt that.  I can't really take you seriously after that.

BTW, the Ipod Nano which is on old tech and about the same size as the large Apple watch, doesn't have bad battery life at all, so your telling me a device which by defaut uses 50% less energy (much newer processes and OLED), would have worse battery life... Completely ridiculous.

Cook himself said it lasts one day under heavy use (that's even the smaller one), so that would mean by his own reckoning, the larger one would last at least 1.5 days under heavy use (since most of the difference in volume between the watches would be filled by battery0.

• Reply 39 of 63
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

Yes, this is plausible.

Other licensees could do the same licensing and catapult the AppleWatch even higher in the fashion world, something no one else (in the cell phone world) appears able to do right now.

I also believe the AppleWatch will have much better battery life than the (leaked) rumors of single day (because of the integrated S1 module and because it has no cell phone modem in it). A week-long battery life could be the "Just one more thing" part of the official unveiling.

Well, the 1 day thing is not even a rumor, it is Cook who said it. But, so what! If you use something to death (which is what he said people would be doing) and it lasts a day, well thaT's good. People seems to not understand that if someone used heavily, they won't care that much for the recharge. If someone used it lightly and it died, well then they'd have something to complain about.

If you use it only as a watch, yes, it could last 2 weeks, but who cares about that.

• Reply 40 of 63
    formosa wrote: »
    Yes, this is plausible.

A week long battery would definitely be a major selling point, however if no other company has managed to come close to that level of battery performance I'm guessing Apple might be able to squeeze 2-3 days out of the Apple Watch at most?