NSA leaker Edward Snowden refuses to use Apple's iPhone over spying concerns - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 192
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

My drawing abilities would get me arrested.

Don't worry, as long as you have the talent to produce a crudely drawn stick figure character, that's enough to get certain primitive people to go apeshit and engage in mass killings.

• Reply 22 of 192
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I believe that somebody needs to bust a cap in his ass.

Quit giving your countrymen and women a bad name. I know there are great Americans out there, you'd do well to learn from them.

• Reply 23 of 192
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    We all know Apple is fanatic about it's image and reputation for "Do No Wrong". So, Apple putting such spyware is non-existence and Apple can loose lot. So, Apple will never directly do such thing.

Now about Edward Snowden, this F***** moron, traitor for jeopardizing national security, etc. needs to be shoot. Not sure why Appleinsider encouraging him and even conspiring to publish such comments/article. He is as good as dead for the American people.
  • Reply 24 of 192
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'm a liberal, and I feel exactly the same way. The guy just rubs me the wrong way. Not surprizing to hear that he has streak of tinfoil-hat in him.

Don't let 'the guy' get to you. Look at the content of his message. "Traitor or Hero" is probably more a philosophical question than a political one. 

• Reply 25 of 192
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's because of his concern for his country that he did what he did. What he exposed to the world has already had a massive effect. We should hope the next president adheres to the Constitution better than the previous several have.

I see your point, but I don't believe that random employees entrusted by companies and the govt can take it upon themselves to steal classified info and leak it to the world.

I'm not defending the CIA or the NSA or the US govt here, and there are definitely certain activities that the US engages in that is illegal. That doesn't change what Snowden did, and what he did was also certainly illegal, and he should answer for his crimes.

• Reply 26 of 192
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

Now about Edward Snowden, this F***** moron, traitor for jeopardizing national security, etc. needs to be shoot. Not sure why Appleinsider encouraging him and even conspiring to publish such comments/article. He is as good as dead for the American people.

Hmmm... I wonder what world I would rather live in, your's or Snowden's.... Now let me think.... :no: 

• Reply 27 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'm a liberal, and I feel exactly the same way. The guy just rubs me the wrong way. Not surprizing to hear that he has streak of tinfoil-hat in him.

Enough with the NSA agents already.  Stop trying to sway public opinion.  Doesn't matter what political stripe.  This is America. Nobody here likes unrestrained government access to their personal information. 

• Reply 28 of 192
  • Reply 29 of 192
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    apple ][ wrote: »

I agree. I don't see this issue as liberal vs conservative at all.

A country can't have low level punks deciding to leak confidential info, no matter what their supposed reasons or motivations are. He was trusted to do his job, not to betray his country.

I have to bet that you are one of those people that upon seeing a woman being raped in a public park would look the other way! In effect this is what you are suggesting that people in his position, seeing wrong doing, should look the other way. That is not a way to sustain a free country.
  • Reply 30 of 192
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Couldn't disagree with you more. He exposed the unconstitutional spying and data collection that has gone on AND continues against the Anerican people. Every country spies on each other, but we as citizens are supposed to be protected against government overreach.

Agreed he exposed unconstitutional spying against essentially everyone. He is a patriot.
  • Reply 31 of 192
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joogabah View Post

Who gives a crap about spooks and shills like you?

At least I'm alive, and not a murderous, dead pedophile.

• Reply 32 of 192
    Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

The irony here is so thick you could cut it with a knife. There's a glaring disconnect between his sanctimonious concerns about being spied on and the fact that he happens to be living in Russia, a country where the government spying on its citizens is a national pastime.

I guess you didn't hear.  The USA is actually the most adept at comprehensive spying on its citizens' and the world's communication.  And we know this because of Snowden.  You can't keep making the "freedom" argument once your ostensibly libertine government is revealed to have been doing the same - and to an extent previously unimaginable. 

• Reply 33 of 192
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Edward Snowden is a patriot feared by cowards. I wouldn't put it past Uncle Sam to hack innocent iPhone users which is why the world needs more Ed Snowdens.

• Reply 34 of 192
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    This picture is all you need to know.1000

I imagine that scene from the simpsons singing the stonecutters song. http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/We_Do_(The_Stonecutters'_Song)

Anyway, I think it's mostly FUD when it comes to trying to paint the iPhone as easily spied on, when you have Linux nerds who willingly make their Android devices do this without the NSA twisting their arm.
  • Reply 35 of 192
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree. I don't see this issue as liberal vs conservative at all.

A country can't have low level punks deciding to leak confidential info, no matter what their supposed reasons or motivations are. He was trusted to do his job, not to betray his country.

“My kind of loyalty is loyalty to one's country, not its institutions or officeholders.” [Mark Twain]

• Reply 36 of 192
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    apple ][ wrote: »

I believe that somebody needs to bust a cap in his ass.

One of the most repellent things you've ever said here. I suppose you get language like this from watching movies, since I doubt you're such a tough guy in real life.

Anyway, you are saying that someone should assassinate him, correct? Do you think this is civil discourse in an international forum on technology?

Ireland is right, you are a disgrace.
  • Reply 37 of 192
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Couldn't disagree with you more. He exposed the unconstitutional spying and data collection that has gone on AND continues against the Anerican people. Every country spies on each other, but we as citizens are supposed to be protected against government overreach.

90% of what he's "exposed" was actually not unconstitutinal at all.  If he'd concentrated on those 10% I'd support him. But, he just seems like he hated the NSA/Police/Surveillance on principle and just took everything he could

Many of these things he released ARE STILL IN USE NOW. Both party GOP, democrats knew what was going on (Intelligence commitee), they just nodded their head and continued doing just the same because... they were legal. People may not agree with them, even if legal and a logical extension of the patriot act; that's a seperate issue entirely.

That he lives in Russia of all place, a place were he (and a good chunk of the population) is 100% sure being watched like a hawk, is beyond ironic.

• Reply 38 of 192
    Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

The irony here is so thick you could cut it with a knife. There's a glaring disconnect between his sanctimonious concerns about being spied on and the fact that he happens to be living in Russia, a country where the government spying on its citizens is a national pastime.

It's  disingenuous to portray his being in Russia as political hypocrisy. He's in Russia because the U.S. cancelled his passport after he'd landed at the Moscow airport, which made it impossible for him to choose to be anywhere else. His choices are Russia or U.S. prison. It would serve no purpose to stand trial in the U.S. because laws he's charged under won't allow him to present a defense based on why he did it. Anything he'd want to say in court to justify his actions would never be heard by the jury.

• Reply 39 of 192
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

One of the most repellent things you've ever said here. I suppose you get language like this from watching movies, since I doubt you're such a tough guy in real life.

Anyway, you are saying that someone should assassinate him, correct? Do you think this is civil discourse in an international forum on technology?

Ireland is right, you are a disgrace.

Yes, the US govt or the CIA or whoever should send out a hit squad and either assasinate him or bring him back to face justice, whichever is most convenient. That's what I believe. It doesn't matter which country the rat is currently hiding in. 

• Reply 40 of 192
    Real heroes of conscience stand and face the music (MLK, Ghandi, Mandela, Ellsberg, et al.). They don't run and hide, particularly into the arms of our philosophical enemies. That is the honorable way to dissent in a democracy. Snowden has diminished himself and his motivations.