Taking a page from Apple's book, Microsoft to make Windows 10 a free upgrade

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

What happened to Windows 9?

Are you serious? Didn't you comment on the first story that came out saying MS would skip 9 and release Windows 10?

You said the full name was "Microsoft Assembled Code Operating System X" - MAC OS  X.

• Reply 82 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I wish people would quit reporting that it's a free upgrade without reporting that it's free for the first year, then you pay a subscription fee.

No, it wont. Get you facts straight first, dude. Or let's at least see your sources. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

• Reply 83 of 122
    My uneducated, cynical guess on Windows 10:
    1. More like a web Os. Many references to cloud drive computing. While the talk about the ability to save web pages for offline viewing, will you be able to work & save documents on your device when offline, like when you are traveling & don't want to use public or hotel wifi?
    2. The 'legacy' apps will no longer work. This will force you to purchase the subscription models of all of their products, which is where $ can be made (like low cost inkjet printers which require expensive & proprietary ink refills).
    3. Stored cloud drive data to be mined for info to be sold, as well as OS data mining via diagnostics, GPS, user habits & preferences, url monitoring regardless of search engine chosen,
    4. Ambiguity of possibly charges after first year creates fear, which will drive people to upgrade within the year, killing off legacy programs & monetize their efforts by selling of the new 'service' package.
    5. RED FLAG - for MS to say free upgrade for a year & then after that, hey're not sure what they are going to do, indicates-
    A. They have no plan as they haven't thought it through. Many enterprise plans are viewed with long range planning & integration of various components, divisions & factions of the company for say, 2-5yrs. If the MS team can't think & plan past the first year, it reflects a lack of confidence in their own plan, concept, execution, & in their own situational awareness. While the tech industry is fickle & changes quickly, requiring adaptive responses, those potential variables should already have been considered & part of the plan. Lack of confidence in their own effort will translate into customer confidence deficit. Ambiguities & vague references such as, 'for the service life of the product' does not engender confidence. while not knowing what they will do after a year may be honest & transparent, it may not be.
    B. They do indeed have a plan after a year, to charge $ for the OS, they just haven't decided on which of the 3 plan options they might be considering. So, while it may be true they haven't decided, it could be considered deceptive if the free option is known to be off the table after the first year.
    Other than that, it sounds like a great upgrade!
  • Reply 84 of 122
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    The idea of a single app store is intriguing. Difficult to implement, but intriguing.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think the "tablet" idea of MS has some positive aspects the iPad currently badly lacks (split screen multitasking comes to mind first and foremost). I hate not being able to take a FaceTime call and continue to do my stuff. Or an audio FaceTime that kicks me out of the app I am currently using and if I want to get back in I have to open menu, etc etc. Why not a notification style banner for incoming calls when I am using an app?
  • Reply 85 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I watched some of Microsoft's video and I must say it was quite awkward. Several times there would be a long pause where you'd normally expect applause but because the event was press only you got silence instead. There was one point where Joe Belfiore asks "are you excited to see how we're going to change the PC?" and all he gets is silence. Awkward.

Apple knows how to do events. And they write for the audience they have. The Watch event was stacked with employees who worked on the project and after Tim announced it there was huge applause/standing o. Some people might think that's a disingenuous thing to do but I don't. These people worked on the product, let them celebrate it. I remember after the September event seeing video of Tim Cook wtih a raised fist and huge audience applause all over the internet.

I'll be very interested to see how Apple handles the Watch launch. Apple doesn't reslly woo tech media the way other companies do with exclusives and stuff. Are there members of the media with early access to the device that Apple will trot out as cheerleaders?
  • Reply 86 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I wish people would quit reporting that it's a free upgrade without reporting that it's free for the first year, then you pay a subscription fee.

They're not reporting that because it's not true. If you have Win7 or Win8, you will have one year to claim your Win10 upgrade, then that device will continue to receive free upgrades for the lifetime of the device.

Quote:

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

• Reply 87 of 122

Why would anyone use a product without certainty of the price? If it's not in writing that it is free and not merely free for the first year, then I see it as a nonstarter. If, on the other hand, MS sees this as something they need to give away in order to entice customers to pay for they applications (Office365, for example) much along the lines of how Adobe treats Acrobat, then I could see this as a winning approach for them. Until they can definitely state that they will never charge for the OS, the mere uncertainty will cause adoption rates to be even worse than Windows8.

• Reply 89 of 122
    We'll see how well MS pulls this off. It might give Apple a run for its money, as it did, finally with Windows 3.1.

Apple shouldn't be listening to its fanboy base and take this competition seriously.

The ability to run same software on multiple devices cannot be oversold. Apple's lame attempts to make Pages, Numbers applications work on OS X, iOS, and web resulted in complete loss of functionality -- they're not even toy applications any more. And Apple's iBook application has been outstripped by the Kindle app (not only Amazon's far more extensive library of ebooks).

Apple is far too focused on hardware, and no where near enough on application software. Giving away software sounds like a good idea, at times, but being wholly dependent on third parties to produce good software for the Mac or iOS results in a lot of crappy software, much of which fall far short of the functionality on Windows machines -- as terrible as Windows itself is.

Unless Apple moves on software, and does so big time, it's certain a repeat of the 1980's and 1990's will be guaranteed.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    They make money off of advertisement?

Yeah, they apparently have some sort of search engine now:

http://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/home

Haven't heard much about it though. ;)
  • Reply 91 of 122
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Source about the subscription fee? Per Microsoft's website:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

"We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge."

Nothing there says Subscription!!!  What is says is Windows 10 is a free Upgrade for a year.  That means you have up to a year to get Windows 10 for FREE after that Windows 10  Upgrades will cost you money like Windows Upgrades in the past.  This is MS trying to get everyone to update to Windows 10 and giving away Windows does that.  Getting people motivated to switch because the FREE only lasts a year is a smart move.   MS is also still making money on Windows 10 sales for NEW PC's as they are new, there's no Windows to Upgrade.   There's no subscriptions.  That would be completely dumb to have a subscription OS.  Oh I'm sure they would like that, but that would be a for sure Windows Killer.   MS makes far, far more money with Office then Windows anyway!!!  Giving away Windows Updates keeps people in the Windows platform and keeps people buying Office.

MS did almost something Similar when Windows 8 Launched.  You could buy it at Half off or whatever it was for the first year and then the price went up.   This time it's FREE for the first year and then the price goes up to the normal price.   Again, NO SUBSCRIPTION.

• Reply 92 of 122
    Anyone finished yesterdays' webinar? It looks like the surface table is back, but now on the wall:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 93 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Anyone finished yesterdays' webinar? It looks like the surface table is back, but now on the wall:

I actually always liked those huge screens

• Reply 95 of 122
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    It feels weird paying money for an operating system. I wouldn't mind installing windows on my mac but not enough to pay for it. They lost me when they shifted their office software to a yearly subscription business model. Yuck! I'll stick with Word 2011 until it no longer works, at which point pages and numbers will likely be feature rich enough to carry the torch.
  • Reply 97 of 122
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    philboogie wrote: »

[VIDEO]
    the keyboard must be huge.
  • Reply 98 of 122
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    dunks wrote: »
    It feels weird paying money for an operating system. I wouldn't mind installing windows on my mac but not enough to pay for it. They lost me when they shifted their office software to a yearly subscription business model. Yuck! I'll stick with Word 2011 until it no longer works, at which point pages and numbers will likely be feature rich enough to carry the torch.
    It is hilarious they didn't have an answer for future fees or subs.
  • Reply 99 of 122
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pfisher wrote: »
    the keyboard must be huge.

What keyboard? You simply talk to Cortana. Or use a stylus. No keyboard, no heavy arms from a vertical touch device.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Not true. The timeline to upgrade for free is 1 year after its release, after that you pay retail for the license. They didn't say you'd pay a sub for the OS, not once in the presentation or any other media. That's what everyone is assuming, but you get 1 year from the release of Windows 10 to upgrade for free, after that you have to buy a license.