Apple may shun Intel for custom A-series chips in new Macs within 1-2 years

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 183
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ascii wrote: »
    What do you mean, it's still basically a Mac. You can run Terminal, open multiple programs in multiple windows, run Xcode, Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Photoshop Elements. The only problem would be if the particular program you want to run is not on the App Store, but presumably if Apple were to release such a Mac, they would lobby more software developers to put their apps on the App Store. And the developers themselves, seeing which way the wind is blowing, might also bite the bullet and upload their apps.

But it would need to be an ARM app. So what's the point? If I'm running OS X, I want all of the 200+ OS X apps I now have to run on it. I've accumulated those apps over years, and I expect to run them on any OS X device that powerful enough. So, yes, I exoect Adobe's Cc to run, if the processor can handle it, and Office, the few times a need it, and everything else. I don't want to wait for apps to come out over the next few years.

You won't be able to run any of the apps you mentioned, because it would not be comparable with them, unless Apple does what I suggested. AMD then, if they did, any OS X app would run, so not just the App Store apps.

What makes you think that Apple would rewrite any of those apps for ARM? I doubt they would.
  • Reply 182 of 183
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But it would need to be an ARM app. So what's the point? If I'm running OS X, I want all of the 200+ OS X apps I now have to run on it. I've accumulated those apps over years, and I expect to run them on any OS X device that powerful enough. So, yes, I exoect Adobe's Cc to run, if the processor can handle it, and Office, the few times a need it, and everything else. I don't want to wait for apps to come out over the next few years.

You won't be able to run any of the apps you mentioned, because it would not be comparable with them, unless Apple does what I suggested. AMD then, if they did, any OS X app would run, so not just the App Store apps.

What makes you think that Apple would rewrite any of those apps for ARM? I doubt they would.

You could still run those apps - on existing computers. Apple is not taking anything away anything you can currently do by releasing new, incompatible computers. 

And I think they would rewrite those apps because it wouldn't be a rewrite, just be a recompile. It's not like the transition from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X where the system calls changed, and it's not like the transition from PowerPC to Intel where the CPU endianess and word sizes changed. Unless a program has some x64 assembly in there (rare), it would just be a recompile. The challenge for developers would not be the CPU change, but getting past the strict requirements of the App Store, which probably would require some code changes. That's why I only listed apps that are already on there as likely being available on ARM.

Adding a Rosetta type emulator for Intel could certainly be done, I just think it would be too slow. But maybe not, maybe they have some super powerful 4GHz A-series chip they're not telling anyone about.

• Reply 183 of 183
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ascii wrote: »
    You could still run those apps - on existing computers. Apple is not taking anything away anything you can currently do by releasing new, incompatible computers. 

And I think they would rewrite those apps because it wouldn't be a rewrite, just be a recompile. It's not like the transition from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X where the system calls changed, and it's not like the transition from PowerPC to Intel where the CPU endianess and word sizes changed. Unless a program has some x64 assembly in there (rare), it would just be a recompile. The challenge for developers would not be the CPU change, but getting past the strict requirements of the App Store, which probably would require some code changes. That's why I only listed apps that are already on there as likely being available on ARM.

Adding a Rosetta type emulator for Intel could certainly be done, I just think it would be too slow. But maybe not, maybe they have some super powerful 4GHz A-series chip they're not telling anyone about.

My thing is that I see no point to an OS X machine that wasn't 100% compatable with OS X apps. Other than not being able to run apps that would run poorly on a low end machine, there shouldn't be any restrictions. An advantage is that they could also make it iOS app compatable.

I've never liked the "just a recompile" argument. While I haven't programmed for some time, I still remember enough to know that the recompile is just the beginning. I've never used Apple Xcode. But unless it's a fairly simple app, once the recompile Is done, the optimizing needs to be done, that could take a couple of hours, or it could take months.

I do remember a number of Apple presentations where some fairly major developer gets up on stage and announced that over the weekend they made their big app run on Apple's new system, and just how amazingly easy it was.

But then it takes 6 months for the app to come out.