Apple captured half of U.S. mobile phone activations in Q4, demand still at record high

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Windows phone among "Other"? Sad, because it is a worthy OS. Will be even better with Windows 10, but maybe too little, too late.

It is sad, because it's a viable alternative to iOS. Secure, unique design, quality build. In a perfect world we'd have iOS, WebOS, and WindowsPhone, and none of this Android trash, but sadly it didn't turn out that way.

• Reply 22 of 52
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

It is sad, because it's a viable alternative to iOS. Secure, unique design, quality build. In a perfect world we'd have iOS, WebOS, and WindowsPhone, and none of this Android trash, but sadly it didn't turn out that way.

It's not even that Android these days is bad. It can be a quite nice alternative to iOS.

Android is just so bastardized by OEMs who hardly give the software any sort of moment to shine, that its overall perception fell below a point that was sustainable. That, and they absolutely ruined its ecosystem which is a major factor in looking over iOS's shortcomings in the past.

• Reply 23 of 52
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Can’t wait to see the stock tank when insanely record sales announced next week are labeled disappointing. You know this will happen.

This certainly would not be unprecedented, especially if there is a "pop". But there will then be a rise going into Ex-Div (mid Feb) that should put in a new ATH support.

Edit: All assuming world doesn't fall apart, etc. etc.

• Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Can’t wait to see the stock tank when insanely record sales announced next week are labeled disappointing. You know this will happen.

Are you gonna short Samsung? If you're right you'll make monies :)

• Reply 25 of 52

Note: all the information presented was based on a fairly small sample of respondents. I don't know how the sample was chosen nor how representative the sample was. The safe bet is to wait until the actual numbers are published. 

• Reply 26 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

The game isn't over, it never is. Microsoft has deep pockets, and can slowly build mind, and market share. Don't count them out just yet.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Also, Apple market share is currently 51% in Japan

Also, too, iPhone6 currently the top seller in Taiwan.

...and in Korea - yes, (South) Korea, iPhone is at 33%, the first time a non-Korean smartphone got above 20%...while Samsung (yes, Samsung) went from 60% to 46%...

• Reply 28 of 52
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

This certainly would not be unprecedented, especially if there is a "pop". But there will then be a rise going into Ex-Div (mid Feb) that should put in a new ATH support.

There is also a rumored Apple event in Feb - the 24th I think.

Probably aWatch update and new MacBook Air, but still...

• Reply 29 of 52

I have a work supplied iPhone (4s) due to be upgraded, have just replace my broken lumia 920 with a Motorola moto g until my contract ends.
    I would rate windows phone 8.1 and iOS as equal and android the inferior of the 3.

Microsoft seem to be putting all they effort into low end phones and there is no phone in their range that would instills a desire in me to own.

Great software should be married to great hardware and that for me means I could be all apple for work and play.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The only thing worse than a sore loser is a sore winner. All your gloating has become nauseating.

That can be fixed quite easily by bringing up the GT Sapphire debacle.  It was quite fun watching sog35 whining like a greased pig. :)

• Reply 31 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1) Huh? Isn't the ratio 1 to 3, with the 6 Plus and the 6?

2) I'm not aware of Samsung releases. Did they release any new flagship models, similar screen size, in the US, in Q4? That way we can compare the numbers.

Didn't they release the Note 4, which competes directly with the 6+ in that period and it got trounced?

• Reply 32 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The game isn't over, it never is. Microsoft has deep pockets, and can slowly build mind, and market share. Don't count them out just yet.

Yup. Maybe the new guy will steer MS in a direction rather than Ballmer 's treading water.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    They ha
    Windows phone among "Other"? Sad, because it is a worthy OS. Will be even better with Windows 10, but maybe too little, too late.

They have an impressive strategy with windows 10. They just need developers to really support it and it could really turn things around. They are just so far behind.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It was reversed last quarter, since those that sold first missed out on the upswing.

If you think AAPL will go down, go and short your Apple stocks...well if you own any share. I'm long, so I just bought another 100 shares. 

• Reply 35 of 52
    philboogie wrote: »
    Apple's decision to increase the size of the iPhone's display looks to have played a role, with 60 percent of likely buyers saying they prefer a screen size over 5 inches.

1) Huh? Isn't the ratio 1 to 3, with the 6 Plus and the 6?

2) I'm not aware of Samsung releases. Did they release any new flagship models, similar screen size, in the US, in Q4? That way we can compare the numbers.

Yeah, Samsung pooped out a new litter of mongrels a month or so after Apple's offering. They had to rush them to market with worse shortages than Apple experienced. It was not pretty and had the stink of desperation. Recently they also announced (I don't think they shipped) a phone/phablet with a metal case (a la Apple). And, I'm sure you heard Apple is out-selling Samsung in their own home country... Samsung is SOOOO screwed!
  • Reply 36 of 52
    pfisher wrote: »
    They ha

They have an impressive strategy with windows 10. They just need developers to really support it and it could really turn things around. They are just so far behind.

MS had problems getting developers to support their phones when they were BRIBING them to write software... Too little AND too late AND too lame...
  • Reply 37 of 52
    jungmark wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Yup. Maybe the new guy will steer MS in a direction rather than Ballmer 's treading water.

MS tried the mindshare and market share with the Zune... eventually they saw that throwing money and marketing wasn't gonna make any difference.

Then we don't even need to mention KIN or Surface RT. The innate confidence that Microsoft once was given by the faithful is largely gone. First they disappeared from the phone and tablet market for a number of years (enough years millions of kids entered and graduated from college without Microsoft having a phone or tablet to choose from). Then they hit the scene with a Windows 7 phone that they orphaned before a year of the contract had expired. Then they come out with Windows 8 with the Fisher-Price UI, no "Start" button, and the craziest dance ads for the Surface product.

Microsoft has gone from being the stud everyone wanted to mate with to the dog the stud uses for warm-up, before turning his attention to the ladies in waiting.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

There is also a rumored Apple event in Feb - the 24th I think.

Probably aWatch update and new MacBook Air, but still...

Not doubting (as surely there is the next event coming up at some point eventually), but do you have any links / print to rumor for a possible Feb. event?

Thanks.

• Reply 39 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »

Don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 40 of 52

check this app that will locate any one with a simple sms http://goo.gl/OkNlFl ;