I Bet My Life: Microsoft HoloLens perfectly targets its core competency

Comments

• Reply 41 of 258
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Golfing on Mars! I'll buy!!!

• Reply 42 of 258
    So, the main gripe about Microsoft's hardware development for pretty much as long as I can remember has been that they don't define the market; their strategy has seemingly been to see what the market wants and then rapidly try to catch up with it. The problem with that is that they aim at where the target was 2-4 years before, rather than anticipate where it will be at release. This is definitely not the case with the HoloLens.

Here you have a company that sees Google (Google, dammit!) fail to get people excited about a wearable device like Glass, recognizes that that paradigm is socially intrusive, and corrects for it. They're only telling people that it's appropriate for the workplace or to multi-task at home. They're not saying that you should have it on all the time, which is exactly where Glass failed. If you can't see the horde of applications (integrated Skype, gaming, remote technical support, shopping from home, design, etc, etc) that fall out of this thing, I don't know how I can convince anyone.

As nothing relating to PrimeSense has been announced by Apple or probably will be in the near-future, and itseez3D seemingly doesn't work based on its reviews, I would say that this article is fighting against the tide. Every reaction that I've seen on the net (outside of Apple forums) has been that this is freaking cool and that the design and applications boggle the mind. Assuming that the interface works. Microsoft has a few months before developers get their mitts on it, so we'll certainly see.
  • Reply 43 of 258
    crowley wrote: »
    And Apple have never done that? Give me a break.

It took me a few minutes to write, I'd wager you wasted a lot more time on your hit piece.
    Rambling? It was a bulleted list that entirely followed the vector of your own post! If I was rambling then it was entirely a reflection of you!

Point out an instance of intellectual dishonesty. One.
    And not a single counter point.

Tell me, was I wrong with the points I labelled as inaccuracies, or opinionated gumpf?

And please, recommend my posts again. That's a cute new weapon in your arsenal of pettiness.

I see what the article is saying, it's a cool demo, but like the kinect, it's future looks dim. they haven't even created the product yet… It's just a CG video. The actual hollow Lenz is a computer connected to a contraption that looks nothing like the advertised video. They don't have the actual thing you saw in the video, that's just their goal! Anyone can come up with a sci-fi video, you can go to the movies and see cool computer interfaces like that, I want the computers from avatar. The admirable thing to do is to show people something they can actually buy. Maybe Apple is conservative, but is it bad to under promise? People want to be blown away by some crazy demo, but maybe technology isn't there yet. I think the proof is in the shipping product, what will the finished product look like? Will it be lightweight, thin, what will the resolution of the screen be? Because the author had a point, that virtual television set in the video will not be 1080 P once it's shrunk down to 1 inch of a Smart phone screen. the cool thing about the oculus rift, which I'm very excited about, is the focus on high-end graphics and a beautiful screen. You will feel like you're transported to a different world once you put it on. With the hollow lens, everything will look slightly see-through. Because it's light being bounced off of a piece of glass. So you'll never be able to see deep blacks or bright whites. Everything will be slightly translucent. You're not gonna watch a translucent movie. It doesn't even encompass your field of view. It's actually a square that you see. You have to actively turn your head towards whatever you want to see, otherwise it gets cut off as you turn to each side. I'm frustrated, because Microsoft jumped the shark with this one. I am one of the early adopters of the Xbox kinect, I got burned. The reason? It was inaccurate, and you couldn't use your hands for any real input. It was very frustrating. Apple never released anything like the kinect, but maybe it's because the technology clearly was not ready. As a result, now I'm going to be hesitant to buy their next crazy product. Can you fault Apple for not releasing an unfinished product? At least with Apple, you know Their products will work well, and you'll use it every day. That's what you expect out of a product. You don't expect to be a guinea pig. I think that Microsoft must be squirming right now, because they've made all of these outlandishly huge promises, and have no clue how they're going to meet all of the expectations that they've mismanaged.
  • Reply 44 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

You should really be more selective in picking your battles.

That's a lot of effort you've put into defending a big dumb corporation with zero sense of what consumers want, and which just blew out the most atrocious mix of nonsense-bullshit and a purely dishonest misrepresentation of its own contributions to a group of technologies by claiming credit for stuff that's been out there in the public for at least two years. 

Your long rambling response really just reflects on your willingness to be intellectually dishonest. 

But please, keep making yourself out to be a fool. It's thoroughly enjoyable to see that the only real critics are of your caliber and capacity.

Daniel Eran Dilger...ever the bastion of objectivity & rational replies to posters.:rolleyes: Your hubris is getting old Daniel.

• Reply 45 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I see what the article is saying, it's a cool demo, but like the kinect, it's future looks dim. they haven't even created the product yet… It's just a CG video.

Perhaps Microsoft could produce a combination iPod, phone, and Internet communicator, and not announce it prematurely, too.

• Reply 46 of 258
    I see what the article is saying, it's a cool demo, but like the kinect, it's future looks dim. they haven't even created the product yet… It's just a CG video. The actual hollow Lenz is a computer connected to a contraption that looks nothing like the advertised video. They don't have the actual thing you saw in the video, that's just their goal! Anyone can come up with a sci-fi video, you can go to the movies and see cool computer interfaces like that, I want the computers from avatar. The admirable thing to do is to show people something they can actually buy. Maybe Apple is conservative, but is it bad to under promise? People want to be blown away by some crazy demo, but maybe technology isn't there yet. I think the proof is in the shipping product, what will the finished product look like? Will it be lightweight, thin, what will the resolution of the screen be? Because the author had a point, that virtual television set in the video will not be 1080 P once it's shrunk down to 1 inch of a Smart phone screen. the cool thing about the oculus rift, which I'm very excited about, is the focus on high-end graphics and a beautiful screen. You will feel like you're transported to a different world once you put it on. With the hollow lens, everything will look slightly see-through. Because it's light being bounced off of a piece of glass. So you'll never be able to see deep blacks or bright whites. Everything will be slightly translucent. You're not gonna watch a translucent movie. It doesn't even encompass your field of view. It's actually a square that you see. You have to actively turn your head towards whatever you want to see, otherwise it gets cut off as you turn to each side. I'm frustrated, because Microsoft jumped the shark with this one. I am one of the early adopters of the Xbox kinect, I got burned. The reason? It was inaccurate, and you couldn't use your hands for any real input. It was very frustrating. Apple never released anything like the kinect, but maybe it's because the technology clearly was not ready. As a result, now I'm going to be hesitant to buy their next crazy product. Can you fault Apple for not releasing an unfinished product? At least with Apple, you know Their products will work well, and you'll use it every day. That's what you expect out of a product. You don't expect to be a guinea pig. I think that Microsoft must be squirming right now, because they've made all of these outlandishly huge promises, and have no clue how they're going to meet all of the expectations that they've mismanaged.

My impression of the whole thing is that they have announced a product and demoed. a prototype. What is so wrong with that. It isn't like they said it is coming out next week, it is helpful to have realistic expectations. Half the people here have this impression that it will be something you wear all the time. I haven't seen that at all in any demo Microsoft gave. Sometimes you have to show a product that might not be possible right this second (as evidenced by the need to have this version corded) but something to look forward to.

What is Apple coming out with? A new Macbook with a high DPI display? That's cool and all, but I have one already.
  • Reply 47 of 258
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    It might be worth noting that Microsoft is actually seeing some success with Surface Pro 3 ($908 million in Revenue reported in October). While I experience the same schadenfreude as anyone else since we are, after all, discussing Microsoft, it is disingenuous to state that all Surface tablets are unmitigated disasters.
  • Reply 48 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

What is Apple coming out with? A new Macbook with a high DPI display? That's cool and all, but I have one already.

"Real artists ship."

--Steve Jobs

• Reply 49 of 258
    staticx57 wrote: »
    My impression of the whole thing is that they have announced a product and demoed. a prototype. What is so wrong with that. It isn't like they said it is coming out next week, it is helpful to have realistic expectations. Half the people here have this impression that it will be something you wear all the time. I haven't seen that at all in any demo Microsoft gave. Sometimes you have to show a product that might not be possible right this second (as evidenced by the need to have this version corded) but something to look forward to.

Too many people compare Apples shipped items with some other company's dream concepts. Anyone can say they have a great product coming down the pike to make them seem relevant and generate talk, but I guess Apple would rather get you excited about something they can offer you down the street at their shop then squander your attention on tech meant to distract you from competitors. Pretty soon, the Apple watch will be at one of those stores near you, and the competitors will still be pointing to their demo videos. Microsoft is no better than a kickstarter campaign right now.
  • Reply 50 of 258
    I didnt not enjoy this article DED.

For once, your analysis was much less critical and historical than vehemently gossipy. Pipe down on the haterade a bit.
  • Reply 51 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I actually feel quite positive about HoloLens now.  Hearing some people rant about it with decades of pent-up bile makes me like it more.

No doubt, you also felt quite positive about Google Glass.

Do you predict that the HoloLens will be the iPhone killer?

• Reply 52 of 258
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

I saw the title and knew the author. A quick scan and the length of the article and it was even more obvious. Most of the links going back to articles written by the author to support points made before the end the loses its relevance and yes I give you Dan the man who won't write 1 word when 50 will do.

That strikes me as the kind of post that adds nothing to the conversation, and is a prime candidate for deletion and/or banning of the poster. I note that you make a habit of this kind of needless comment.

The HoloLens demonstrates the difference between Microsoft/Google and Apple. If Apple brought this out, they would be laughed to the high heavens. Google and Microsoft always get sympathetic passes for their vapourware. I guess it reflects the different standards to which these companies are held.

• Reply 53 of 258
    What a joke of an article.

This is a new low for AppleInsider. Such ridiculous and desperate journalism.

I've been following AI for years but will now find another source for my Apple news.

This product is already being used by NASA. I'm a game developer, 3d sculpter as well as a paramedic. Imagine teaching new paramedics or those in rural areas by having an interactive patient on the ground and being able to assess and treat their injuries to local protocols. Imagine having an instructor hundreds of km away walking you through applying a CT-6 and other equipment correctly onto a dummy. This product could revolutionise the education industry.

I can't wait to develop for this tech! Well done MS.
  • Reply 54 of 258
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

No doubt, you also felt quite positive about Google Glass.

Do you predict that the HoloLens will be the iPhone killer?

Nope.
  • Reply 55 of 258
    undedunded Posts: 43member
    It's awesome that MS is going to produce this. It will provide me endless entertainment watching people using it
  • Reply 56 of 258
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

It might be worth noting that Microsoft is actually seeing some success with Surface Pro 3 ($908 million in Revenue reported in October). While I experience the same schadenfreude as anyone else since we are, after all, discussing Microsoft, it is disingenuous to state that all Surface tablets are unmitigated disasters.

Surface Pro 3 costs $800-$1800. So $900M in revenue means they sold fewer than 1M and are actively losing money on the third generation of a product that so far has done nothing but accrue massive write off losses in excess of its revenues. 

• Reply 57 of 258
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The problem is that Microsoft and Google launch crap like this, and throw it out there for developers to do something with it. That doesn't usually work.

As Peter Molyneux pointed out:

Quote:

Molyneux commented, “The bizarre thing is a huge amount of effort and time and money goes into researching the tech, like the Kinect tech and scanning the bodies, and there’s always this one line that hardware manufacturers — whether it be Microsoft or anyone else — say and that’s ‘we can’t wait to see what happens when it gets into the hands of developers.’ Now if Apple had said that when they introduced the iPhone, I don’t think we’d ever end up with the iPhone! What really should happen is that they put a similar amount of money into researching just awesome real world applications that you’ll really use and that work robustly and smoothly and delightfully.

“They should spend as much money doing that rather than just on hardware tech and saying, ‘Okay developers, we’ll leave it to you.’ If you look at the cases where technology has worked well — touch is one of those, and Wii Sports and motion control; Nintendo didn’t introduce motion control until they had Wii Sports. You weren’t just playing a few demos. I just hope that for the Holo stuff that they really choose an application and make that sing.”

Microsoft doesn't have an application for this. Yes, they showed Netflix, but how does that make the Netflix experience better? How does it make Minecraft better? Because the iPhone made every experience better than anything else on the market. Browsing was better, phone calls were better, music was better (especially once the iTunes WiFi Music Store was introduced)...HoloLens is a solution in search of a problem.

That's a very interesting quote, and it applies to the Apple Watch, too.

It seemed to me that Cook made a big point of saying that he couldn't wait to see what developers come up with, yet there was no compelling breakout functionality at the keynote, whereas the iPhone and iPad both had unique selling points. In another small but significant way, like he did when he announced that the Apple Watch sales wouldn't be revealed in the earnings reports, Cook is absolving himself and Apple of some responsibility by putting some of the burden for its success onto third-party developers. 

It's this lack of compelling selling points that is the real death blow to the Watch, even more than the clunky, dated looks, the limited battery life and limited functions, like the lack of GPS.

• Reply 58 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

Well Apple's next major product is Apple Watch, maybe you've heard of it?

It too was also not finished when it was first shown ~4 months ago. However, it specified an entry level price point and gave a ballpark ~6 mo arrival date, and didn't advertise impossible, impractical and downright silly pie in the sky concepts, didn't name it itself something with a buzzword that is simply inaccurate ("flying drone watch"), and didn't claim credit for a range of technologies that others had released two years earlier. 

Apple actually acknowledged (both for Watch and for Apple Pay) that others had tried to do things in the space and outlined why they'd failed. 

Microsoft is floating a copy of a demo that bears no correlation to the experimental prototype they had to show. 

Tellingly, The Verge, Engadet, Wired & CNET all wrote this up like the PR lapdog they are, as if it were some wildly new thing that actually does create holograms and could possibly do the absurd things portrayed in the video. You should be complaining there, not that AI is pointing out the truth. 

• Reply 59 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That's a very interesting quote, and it applies to the Apple Watch, too.

It seemed to me that Cook made a big point of saying that he couldn't wait to see what developers come up with, yet there was no compelling breakout functionality at the keynote, whereas the iPhone and iPad both had unique selling points. 

The three features of Apple Watch are its fitness tracking, personal sketch/taptic/heartbeat communications and glance able notifications on a watch. These were detailed at length during the iPhone 6 event.

• Reply 60 of 258
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    'Nuff said.

ap488224629775.jpg

microsoft-executives-testing-the-hololens.jpg