I Bet My Life: Microsoft HoloLens perfectly targets its core competency

Comments

• Reply 101 of 258
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Im as big an Apple fan as anybody, but its tiring to see other Apple fans sling vitriol at other companies actually trying different and new things. Apple hasn't done shit since the iPhone other than MOARZ THIN

Vitriol, seriously? Hard to take that seriously.

Also, remember iPad? It's the top selling tablet in the world. Has been outselling the next 4 producers. Changed things. 

And they introduced the Watch. We'll see how it performs as a product. But if you're just counting attempts, Apple has a pretty hit record of beating everyone else every year since iPhone in phones (8 years), and iPad in tablets (4 years), both full size and mini. 

Google has thrown a lot out there, but none of it has stuck. Microsoft too. And Samsung has tried lots of things: Android Camera, iPod knockoffs, super big tablets all failed. Note started gaining an audience and the company certainly pioneered the big phone, but that lasted 3 years for them before getting derailed by Apple's first larger iPhones. So who exactly impresses you? Rich dicks who blow money on stupid ideas that never take off, because they're trying? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Cnet has an decent on what the Hololens is and how it works;

"But Oculus, Microsoft, Google and others believe in a different, potentially more natural way to interact with our technology. These companies and the hardware they're creating imagine a world where hand gestures, 3D images and images superimposed on reality are the next-generation tools for productivity, communication and everything else we use gadgets and the Internet for."

MS knows it lost the war on the mobile space (ie: smartphones).  The HoloLens is about them trying to lead and take charge of the next generation of computing.

Oculus was an independent project began in the open, and it hasn't shipped as a finished product yet. It's novel but lots of companies have been doing this (Sony showed theirs at CES 2012, I believe on sale but it's not selling in any big quantity). Google Glass was a big LOOK AT US thing but it was a poor product and they couldn't ship it as a real product. You could pay $1500 for a prototype. That's not very impressive. Imagine launching that as a kickstarter: "My idea is poorly conceived and I can sell prototypes for $1500. Any takers?" Would be laughed at. 

What does Microsoft have to offer here? I'm not really seeing it. The silly, impractical video is just like the old Knowledge Navigator stuff, who cares that you can make unentertaining science fiction short videos? You're a hardware company or a conceptual movie maker? 

If some college students were doing this then it would be a cool thing to check out. When billion dollar companies sit around and try to take credit for other's work, mingling stuff like this with their Brand name as a distraction from the fact that they have nothing to deliver and their other products just aren't very intersting is just not very impressive. I don't think they need to get an "A for effort" award like they're children. Make something worthy of the massive salary you're drawing.

• Reply 102 of 258
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And you think Microcrap would be offering anything 'for free' if it were not for getting floor wiped by Apple? Let's check history ... mmmm .... nope.

I've used the term Microcrap since they you lot stole Mac OS and Mac Office, that's my polite term. Go back to a Microcrap blog and be happy.

As of 2010, about half a billion people were reported to be using Microsoft Office. So I wouldn't say they are getting "floor wiped" by Apple

What can I say? "Great artists steal", and all that

• Reply 103 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamitzyot View Post

True. I'm expecting that we'll have to wait for a 2.0 release before it really grabs consumers, like many of Microsoft's products

What Microsoft 2.0 product grabbed consumers in the last five years? 

Windows 7 II (aka 8)?

Windows Phone #2?

Surface 2?

Metro second time around? 

• Reply 104 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

What Microsoft 2.0 product grabbed consumers in the last five years? 

Windows 7 II (aka 8)?

Windows Phone #2?

Surface 2?

Metro second time around? 

On PCMag's 2013 approval rating charts, Windows Phone 8 received a 9.0, compared to iOS's 8.6

I don't know what you mean by "Windows Phone #2"

As I mentioned before, the Surface 2 got very good reviews and was used extensively by Delta Airlines, Coca Cola and even BMW

Seeing as "Metro second time around" will be Windows 10 (for which it seems most people have a very positive outlook) I'd say yes, I think it will do well

• Reply 105 of 258
    I think that Apple is just sad that they haven't gotten a piece of the future yet. After seeing this article I realized Apple hasn't tried making any sort of form of virtual reality or augmented reality, they are still in the touchscreen era, which has been used since 1960, when the first touchscreen device was made. Meanwhile microsoft is making augmented reality and blowing apple out of the page. Could you also tell me the difference between using a piece of sticky tape on the back of your phone to attach a credit card, then buy a whole new device. There is absolutely no difference between the iphone 5 and 6 except for a larger screen size which everyone else has been doing for years. Meanwhile apple is playing catch up from 10 years ago. Apple may be coming out with more releases, but there whole motive is buy the new iphone 6 for a 100000000th of a milisecond faster speed when using. Microsoft is meanwhile making things that may actually improve the world, the posibilities are endless with hololens, ranging from a holographic football game on your table to playing the sims in your own house, i think hololens will be the biggest thing in history, while apple is going to release a iphone 7 that has new facial recognition for 300 more dollars than the iphone 6,people don't want a new device that adds one thing new, they want one thing that will blow the iphone 100 out of the park.
  • Reply 106 of 258
    Quote:

The Zune HD was actually quite good, and received very positive reviews. But by that time Apple had already monopolized the market with the iPod Touch, so it didn't matter

I'm not gonna argue with you on the Slate. I think everyone can agree it was conclusively a flop

And the Surface 2 actual landed a 4.7 on Engadget, compared to the iPad Air's 4.6. Not a huge difference, but hey, it's there

Quote:

They could have, but they didn't. Instead, they shipped many new computers with Office for free, offered it as a free download for college students, they made Office Online free. There are many instances in which Microsoft avoided charging for their software, so clearly money is not the issue. (also I suggest you cease using the term "MicroCrap". It's just childish)

And it's currently 57 and partly cloudy in Redmond

What do you suppose it was that shifted Microsoft from charging $500 for a copy of Office to giving it away? 

Perhaps a loss of its monopoly power? That's what I'm guessing, not some altruistic finding god moment that has them "avoiding charging" for their software all of a sudden. 

• Reply 107 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

What do you suppose it was that shifted Microsoft from charging $500 for a copy of Office to giving it away? 

Perhaps a loss of its monopoly power? That's what I'm guessing, not some altruistic finding god moment that has them "avoiding charging" for their software all of a sudden. 

I never said they did it to be good people. I just pointed out they aren't always all about business and making money, whatever their reasons

• Reply 108 of 258
    crowley wrote: »
    I actually feel quite positive about HoloLens now.  Hearing some people rant about it with decades of pent-up bile makes me like it more.

Like it all you want. Hell, get a Zune tattoo to show us how much you like it.
  • Reply 109 of 258
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Cnet has an decent on what the Hololens is and how it works;

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-hololens-explained-how-it-works-and-why-its-different/

Cnet is known to be biased towards pc. Here is what a more reputable resource is saying:
    Is this the future? In a few years' time will we do away with computer screens and walk around with magical 3D glasses? I don't know about that. Traditional screens are better for shared viewing, don't have battery life concerns, don't require headgear, and so on and so forth.

But HoloLens certainly felt like part of the future. It excites me. I imagine a world of gaming that interacts with the environment around me. A world where designers and engineers can manipulate virtual 3D objects JARVIS-style, simply by using their hands. A world where I can sit at my desktop PC and have a monitor that's near infinitely large and totally private. I don't know exactly what people will use HoloLens for, but it feels very much like the killer app is out there, just waiting for someone to develop.

I felt it to be a much more compelling future than VR, too. The VR systems I've tried make me feel too detached from the outside world, to a degree that I find disorienting. Also unlike VR systems, HoloLens didn't make me want to instantly vomit. It felt very natural.
  • Reply 110 of 258
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can see a chip in your brain in the near future.

Why eat Chinese food with chopsticks when you could have nutrition pumped directly into your stomach with a feeding tube?

That's not a very good analogy. There's pleasure in eating food, but unless you really like Google's web interface, there's not much pleasure in using that vs a more direct alternative.

The point is that if you want seamless integration between your brain and Google you will have given up your free will. Only Google will determine what you think.

• Reply 111 of 258
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The point is that if you want seamless integration between your brain and Google you will have given up your free will. Only Google will determine what you think.

I don't see how that follows. Free will is a process of initiation, if you are initiating the queries you are still in control. The query results are just information to consider, they don't take control of you by their mere presence.

• Reply 112 of 258
    [VIDEO]//

The Xbox Driving Video reminded me of this from last century:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 113 of 258
    nouser wrote: »
    Sadly, Microsoft has become the master of ineptitude in recent years. They appear to be desperately grasping for the path back to relevance but clearly they have not yet found it.

This, IMO, is a total lack of vision, passion and leadership at the top. I can recall Apple was struggling with these same problems back when Guy and John were at the helm of Apple.

Guy?

Surely, you don't mean Guy Kawasaki -- AIR, his top job at Apple was Evangelist.
  • Reply 114 of 258
    AR could be interesting for some applications, but I don't have faith that Microsoft can turn it in to a good product... Reminds me of Microsoft Courier... Many of the applications they show outside of Minecraft are pretty ridiculous
  • Reply 115 of 258
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Rather than anything practical. Dennou Coil and Robotics;Notes do feature practical applications for AR (eg digital geocaching) and it would be useful to go to a grocery store and find things without having to wander around. Maybe even purchase items without needing a checkout, by waving the item's barcode to an AR "checkout". A smarter AR app could actually recognize items like Cabbage and Lettuce from each other.

This AR tech may also have some applications built in to phones and tablets instead of glasses.  It will probably never be much more then Kinect level of usefulness.  It would be interesting for some casual games and 3D visualizations.  I would buy one, but I don't see it as transformative.  If they can figure out the haptic feedback problem then it might be interesting for application UIs, but that would be a huge shift for both developers and users.

• Reply 116 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by esummers View Post

This AR tech may also have some applications built in to phones and tablets instead of glasses.  It will probably never be much more then Kinect level of usefulness.  It would be interesting for some casual games and 3D visualizations.  I would buy one, but I don't see it as transformative.

You mean something like this?

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80

[Here Maps City Lens]

• Reply 117 of 258

It's this lack of compelling selling points that is the real death blow to the Watch, even more than the clunky, dated looks, the limited battery life and limited functions, like the lack of GPS.

Really?

Convenience of Apple Pay, concise notifications/communication by raising your wrist (while the iPhone stays in your pocket, purse, or pack) -- not to mention HealthKit integration.

Really?

Where do you go, today, that a watch with GPS would allow you not to carry a phone -- joggers hikers get mugged, have accidents too!
  • Reply 118 of 258
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

"What Apple product is this competing with? "

None, but then why does it have to?  HoloLens, and technologies / technology products like it, represent the future of digital interaction. Give it 5 years.

I doubt it will be so even in 10 years time.

What Primesense did is more plausible than this.

• Reply 119 of 258
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

As of 2010, about half a billion people were reported to be using Microsoft Office. So I wouldn't say they are getting "floor wiped" by Apple

What can I say? "Great artists steal", and all that

You talking about Picasso...

• Reply 120 of 258
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

You talking about Picasso...

Yes, thank you for noticing. Your point?